are poll guards any good for loading?

Diesky

Visit site
hello,

Just wondered whether anyone can offer me any recommendations on types of poll guards to use for loading and travelling?

I have always travelled my mare alone without a partition but this only really works if you have your own trailer (which i dont at the moment)

Last summer I tried to load my mare on a friends trailer with her horse and she pulled back and banged her head and cut it open (not seriously but a cut all the same)

I hadnt had a chance to load her since then so took the oportunity to borrow my friends trailer this weekend - she didnt want to load and was very reluctant - she kept throwing her head up and I dont want her to band her head and refuse to load all together.

So Im thinking I need a good poll guard - this was an Ifor 510 so plenty big enough for her in theory.

She did load eventually but just want to make this easier as she's always beena great loader.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Poll guards are essential for new loaders or those prone to throwing their heads. If she whacks her head in the right place she can end up paralyzed or literally drop dead (the former requiring to be PTS).

My preference is the thicker banana shaped ones, as the little hats aren't really going to help much if they really whack their heads hard

Banana one:
http://www.barlingtackshop.co.uk/index.p...products_id=368