Are riding tights very flimsy?

huskydamage

Visit site
Probably a silly question, but I bought my first pair of riding tights, which werent cheap and I got primarily as they are supposedly 'winter thermo'.
They are not winter suitable at all which with a name like 'scorching north' was a bit misleading, but they are comfortable so I thought I'd give them a go. After only a 1.5hr ride the bottoms are completely shredded and even some hay which got stuck to the thigh has ripped the material fibres out. What kind of horse riding item can't handle a bit of hay?!
Before I look at other brands are tights all generally this flimsy or did I get unlucky/defective pair? Thinking maybe I should stick to jods

Reactions: DD

AHarley

Visit site
I used to ride in them all the time but switched back to breeches as wasn't keen. They're great for the summer and especially good for layering up in the winter. However I've found they can be quite slippy and difficult to jump in so I switched back to breeches.

I think stick to jods, the experience you had was more or less my experience. Although I've had some cheap jeggings that have been great for riding so might be worth giving them a try.

Littlebear

Visit site
I only have one pair which were from Gold star I think they were only £18 so were worth a try, they are heavy material and very warm and have some grippy bits on them - I have found them really good so far for winter!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I practically live in mine and can't say they're particularly flimsy. My oldest pair are a good few years old now and still going strong! I did find my knee grip kingsland ones to be a bit slippy to start with but now I've gotten used to them they're fine.

Hallo2012

Visit site
i have lived in my kingsland leggings all summer and they still look new :)

i have some winter ones from Kramer which ive only had a couple of weeks but so far so good although they are very low rise so wouldn't suit a long bodied person.

Follysmum

Visit site
I love mine, some are better than others
Excellent are Kerrits - my favourite
Musto snug expensive but well worth it
Arion, Aztec Diamond cheaper, not as well wearing
Performance equestrian - perfeq range good quality

AandK

Visit site
Some are better than others. I have a pair of the Dublin ones and they are a stong material that is comfy and flattering. I got some shires ones, but sold them on as didn't like them as much.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Depends if you want fancy leggings or ones that do the job. I wear these underneath in winter - Equatech thermals
They're so warm and almost fluffy, I live in them and swap between 2 pairs during the week. When I don't wear them I instantly feel the cold.
Then on top wear a pair of cheap leggings, Amazon, Primark, Sainsburys.. you can get coloured ones, patterned ones etc, thats for daily yard wear anyway and what i'd wear hacking etc.

Never spent alot of money on riding leggings, obviously competitions jodpurs etc is a bit different, but general wear, nah.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love my Noble Outfitters summer ones, very stretchy and not flimsy.

I did get some free winter ones with signing up for a H&H subscription. I was a bit annoyed to start with as the advert I responded to said they were worth £70, but when they came they were so flimsy I looked on the brand's website and hey presto, full price was just £50.

They are not nice at all. Plus I feel scammed by H&H!

I probably could take it further, but I have other stuff on and could find that they were previously £70 for a minimum of whatever days...

flying_high

Visit site
Depends if you want fancy leggings or ones that do the job. I wear these underneath in winter - Equatech thermals
They're so warm and almost fluffy, I live in them and swap between 2 pairs during the week. When I don't wear them I instantly feel the cold.
Then on top wear a pair of cheap leggings, Amazon, Primark, Sainsburys.. you can get coloured ones, patterned ones etc, thats for daily yard wear anyway and what i'd wear hacking etc.

Never spent alot of money on riding leggings, obviously competitions jodpurs etc is a bit different, but general wear, nah.

I like to ride in full seats, good safety net! And so don't tend use non equestrian stuff for tights / breeches etc.

I also find that any tights / thermals under jods riding result in too many layers and a double slip effect, or too much material in the crotch area whilst riding.

Personally I rate certain equestrian brands / makes that you can pick up second hand ebay .

Scarlett

Visit site
Totally depends on the brand.

I have Noble Outfitters Balance Riding Tights - 5 pairs in different styles inc full seat. They are not flimsy at all. Flattering fit, tough, wash brilliantly, comfortable and worth every penny (£60) but I have bought other brands and been disappointed. I wear them for hours every day and they are still going strong even though my first pair are easily 3 years old.

Bought the winder Dublin ones this year and they are comfy but definitely not very warm or winter proof. If they last all winter I will be amazed.

flying_high

Visit site
Totally depends on the brand.

I have Noble Outfitters Balance Riding Tights - 5 pairs in different styles inc full seat. They are not flimsy at all. Flattering fit, tough, wash brilliantly, comfortable and worth every penny (£60) but I have bought other brands and been disappointed. I wear them for hours every day and they are still going strong even though my first pair are easily 3 years old.

Bought the winder Dublin ones this year and they are comfy but definitely not very warm or winter proof. If they last all winter I will be amazed.

Interested in a link to these for £60 Noble Outfitters Balance Riding Tights - thanks

Scarlett

Visit site
Interested in a link to these for £60 Noble Outfitters Balance Riding Tights - thanks

Have a wee look on here.... you can buy direct from NO themselves.

https://www.nobleoutfitters.co.uk/womens/clothing/breeches

The basic riding tights are £60 and the 5 pocket and full seat are £70. I have found them a few quid cheaper on ebay and in other shops online.

They are a heavy yoga pant type material. I am really hard on breeches (if they last a year they have done well) and my NO tights are the hardest wearing by quite a way.

I have quite a few items of clothing from them now, their gilets, base layers and mid layers are fantastic too!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I have Horseware ones and absolutely love them. This coming summer will be my third one wearing them. I would certainly not describe them as flimsy, but I know what you mean. I bought a pair from Aztec Diamond and they were awful. They felt like dance leggings and were completely see-through (black ones) so they went straight back for a full refund. Am sticking to Horseware!

Louby

Visit site
Ive just bought 2 more pairs as I love them! My first pair were cheapy Decathlon ones and although definate Summer ones, Ive worn and washed them continuosly. Ive recently bought 2 pairs from Harry Hall One club (Tottie and Harry Hall) for less than £25 a pair and so far so good. Ive loads of breeches but put a few pounds on as they were cutting me in half :eek: and am now a convert.

LightningMcQueen

New User
Visit site
I have Horseware ones and absolutely love them. This coming summer will be my third one wearing them. I would certainly not describe them as flimsy, but I know what you mean. I bought a pair from Aztec Diamond and they were awful. They felt like dance leggings and were completely see-through (black ones) so they went straight back for a full refund. Am sticking to Horseware!
Aztec Diamond leggings are awful. Slippery and thin. Well, at least they're expensive. Ugh!!!

CavaloBranco

Visit site
I've got 2 pairs of Dublin ones, cool gel and warm ones for winter. They both have belt loops and silicone full seats which I need. I've gradually chosen them over full seat breeches because they are SO comfortable!! No sign of wear and tear yet. The only down side is that the warm ones are very short (I'm 33" leg) and slightly larger.

flying_high

Visit site
Have a wee look on here.... you can buy direct from NO themselves.

https://www.nobleoutfitters.co.uk/womens/clothing/breeches

The basic riding tights are £60 and the 5 pocket and full seat are £70. I have found them a few quid cheaper on ebay and in other shops online.

They are a heavy yoga pant type material. I am really hard on breeches (if they last a year they have done well) and my NO tights are the hardest wearing by quite a way.

I have quite a few items of clothing from them now, their gilets, base layers and mid layers are fantastic too!

ooh thanks. I have ordered a pair of full seat tights (found in sale for £52) and accidentally new headcollar and rope

Jasper151

Visit site
I love my Noble Outfitter tights. Literally wear them everyday and they have lasted incredibly well. They even survived being accidentally put in the tumble dryer! I bought them on a whim at half price and wished I had bought more.

Annagain

Visit site
I have some Equilibra ones from Kramer. I bought them last spring without realising they were winter ones. I couldn't wear them all summer as they were too warm. I have been wearing them all winter though and they're great. They're warm, comfy, still like new, wash brilliantly and dry really quickly. They're pretty cheap at about £27 and Kramer have 20% off at the moment too. They're generously sized so I'd go down a size.

Pc2003

Visit site
I have the noble ones and they have lasted ages, tend to use those in winter. Then 2 pairs of sticky bum Dublin ones. Totally love them. I wouldn’t wear anything else now. Mine have lasted over a year with heavy use and washing/tumble drying etc

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
I have Arion tights. They were cheap and cheerful but I wear them most days and apart from a bit of loose stitching they've lasted 2 years so far. So comfy too :)

EstherYoung

Visit site
If you get some that are designed for and have a track record in Endurance Riding, then they will be designed to last for 100s and 100s and 100s of miles and won't be flimsy in the slightest.

jj_87

Visit site
I love the noble ones, they have lasted a long time too, If is cold I will even go to the gym in them too! Pair I bought and can't get along with are the Mark Todd Winter Ones which are not fleece lined or waterproof... plus the silicon bobbles have come off after 2 washes so they are rubbish for riding my super hot mare!
For me they also need to have a decent wide waistband so that the don't start to slide down and give the world a builders bum!

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm sounds like your ones are pretty flimsy OP! Noble outfitters ones are not as thin as others and I really like them. They are a bit slippier but I’ve not found that to be an issue as I have the knee patches. I also have thinner ones can’t remember the make, they are ok for summer hacking.