Are single dogs happy?

[158444]

Visit site
I keep reading and being told by friends with more than one dog how 2 dogs are better than one and can't decide if I should get a second or not , Are dogs who are the only dog really missing out on living with another dog?

im not sure how true this is and wondered if its more coming from the humans way of thinking ect.

And I'm asking this from the dogs point of view would they really be that sad not living with another dog?

I think i only want one dog at a time and this confused me a bit as I wouldn't want Theo to be sad he doesn't have another dog to play with but I thought what he doesn't have he won't miss?

Can dogs live happily alone?

I can financially afford 2 dog and have the space and time but I think I prefer giving all my attention to one dog but if Theo would be happier than I'd do it for him

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think it entirely depends on the dog tbh.

I wanted a second dog for years, because my little Daisy is very sociable and enjoys the company of her mates. But as she got to spend a lot of time with them I didn’t worry about it too much. We did get a second dog last year though. He’s slotted in very well and the two of them are good friend. But she would have been fine as a single dog.

A friend has a cocker who would be horrified and totally miserable if another dog was introduced in the family. Another friend has two who would be lost without each other.

Roxylola

Visit site
I think it depends on the dog. My little hound will never be happy as an only dog, my spaniel easily could be. They are however pack animals, and if you're out a fair bit I think its nicer for them to have company. My two play together in a way they don't with me - especially my hound.
Could you try fostering for a rescue for a bit to see how your dog gets on?

PoniesRock

Visit site
I have a Jack Russell who firmly believes she is a princess. She is more than happy to be sociable out and about on walks, and she comes to work with me everyday where there is lots of dogs, some of which she totally ignores, others she enjoys playing with.

However, at home she would be mortified if I was to ever bring home another dog. She would not want to share her toys, and heaven forbid she had to share her treats. She enjoys being my number one - mostly because she is a spoilt brat… - so I think shes happy and enjoys being a only dog.

meleeka

Visit site
I have a Jack Russell who firmly believes she is a princess. She is more than happy to be sociable out and about on walks, and she comes to work with me everyday where there is lots of dogs, some of which she totally ignores, others she enjoys playing with.

However, at home she would be mortified if I was to ever bring home another dog. She would not want to share her toys, and heaven forbid she had to share her treats. She enjoys being my number one - mostly because she is a spoilt brat… - so I think shes happy and enjoys being a only dog.
This is my JRT too. Unfortunately for her we have a German Shepherd now too which we didn’t really want, but MIL who’s dog she was died and she’s a lovely dog. My JRT rules the roost and tolerates het but makes sure she always knows who’s house it actually is.

Because of the size difference they are separated when I’m out, but even if they weren’t I don’t think my JRT actually wants the companionship of another dog (although she’s sociable when we are out).

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister is in this quandary. Her lurcher bitch is coming up to 13 and although still fit and well obviously slowing down a bit. BIL has suggested getting another now rather than waiting to lose her and in principle my sister agrees, particularly as she wants to continue in agility. However her bitch although super sociable (to dogs she likes) is not happy sharing her home, gets very depressed. She is very spoilt, has my sister there 24/7 and is happy as she is. We meet up when seeing to the sheep and ponies everyday and she has a good run with mine, gets very depressed if they aren't there for any reason. Hard decision to make.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Some of you make a good point about 2 are better if left alone as I work part time and and out the hours 4 days a week for 6hrs and a dog walker comes in after he's been on his own for 3 hrs so maybe having a brother may be better for him

We are retired and currently have 2 Labs, we provide 'doggy daycare' for a friend's Lab (now 8 months old). She has the best of all possible worlds *for her*. She is a pretty independent minded dog and thoroughly enjoys being the centre of her owner's world but she loves playing with our 2x2yr olds and being part of the pack.
We used to have a LabxGSD, who grew up as part of a larger pack with her litter sister, she was always a quiet withdrawn dog until her sister died, leaving her an only dog with just a cat for company. She seemed to be much happier than she had ever been. But she is the only dog we have ever had who did not appreciate canine company.

twiggy2

Visit site
I think it depends on the dog and your lifestyle.
When I was single my lurcher came everywhere including work with me, she met and played with a lot of dogs, we walked and camped long distance paths, she hated it when we moved jn together with my other halfs springer, she loves yhe kennel dogs and lives to have a play with a puppy if one is in the house but she likes her sleep and wants to left alone a lot too, so in the whole if she gets lots of company and exercise I think she prefers living alone with the occasional exception of dogs she gets on really well with

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
Over the years we have had multiple dogs up to 7 but to be truthful I think Willow is the happiest one we have had with fewest hangups and she has always been an only dog. So I would have one again without too much worry.

[158444]

Visit site
You all have given me a lot to think about , I also never want to go dogless ever again even for a day before Theo I owned a GSD called Zeus and when he passed I was beside myself as I don't deal with grief well at all and I nearly took my own life it affected me that badly.

Having another dog will help me cope when it is Theo's time to cross rainbow bridge.

So I think having a second dog for myself would be a good idea.

Incase I picked to have a second dog I did look into which breed I would get and I am very taken by the Eurasier and have spoken with many owners and will be going to crufts this year

teddypops

Visit site
I had 3 dogs for the last 10 years. The two older ones were pts last year and I just have my parsons terrier left. I was a bit worried as I didn’t know how she would cope being on her own. She was a bit confused and nervous to start with being the only dog but she’s really happy now. There are a lot of dogs who live on their own with no issues, so it would depend on the individual.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Very much depends on the dog’s character. I’ve had dogs that would have been happy as an only, but for the past 20 years, I’ve bought in pairs. I wouldn’t think leaving a lone dog 9-5 if you work full time is ideal, but I know some people do it very successfully. I keep meeting people with singles and thinking how easy it must be! I think Bear is happy to have company.
1645872798609.jpeg

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've mostly had multiple dogs over the years, I have two now, but honestly I don't think either of them would mind being the only dog and if one goes before the other I won't be in a rush to have two again.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
As others have said, depends on the dog and how much time you can dedicate to them. I decided nearly a decade ago that I wouldn’t permanently only have one dog again-I do believe the majority like dog company (cats too fwiw) and I wish I had got my setter company sooner-he did seem to enjoy the rescue we got in the last year of his life.
People have to do what’s best for their circumstances though, as long as the dog gets enough time and some doggy contact if they like it-it’s so expensive to keep them these days.
my two are chalk and cheese, polar opposites really-they don’t snuggle! And they have different styles of playing although each tailors that when playing together. I think Quarrie would do better alone out of the two of them.

marmalade76

Visit site
Mine would not like to be with another dog. There are a few dogs belonging to friends & family she sees regularly and she seems to have a snooty attitude towards them and rarely plays. She likes to check out other dog that come onto her "territory" but a quick sniff and and that's it. She doesn't even like her own offspring! She gets jealous if we give other dogs attention so I think her nose would be well out of joint of we got another dog.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

My jack Russell is the same and as far as she concerned I am hers she doesn't like me being near other dogs she can even get jealous of my oh sometimes and will put herself inbetween us, she would be devastated if I got another dog.

some show

Visit site
I'd love to have two but try to be logical about the financial side of things - my boy's got EPI so I have to pay out for enzymes/B12 supps and he probably costs me as much as two 'normal' dogs would already! One day :)

Moobli

Visit site
It definitely depends on the nature of the current dog and how much time and inclination you, as owner, have to provide for two or more. My breed, GSDs, are very owner focused and seem to do well as only dogs. I’ve had multiple dogs for years now (for myself rather than for them) and while they’ve all got along and my current two have a very good relationship, I’m very confident they’d be absolutely fine and happy as single dogs too.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If you're my parent's greyhound, blissfully so. She gets annoyed when us actual children come home ?

Our rescue dog was fostered in a home with another dog but seems fairly adjusted (he has quirks but he had the same quirks when living with other dogs) - we do often borrow a dog to bolster his confidence out and about though or in a specific situation but he seems very settled at home now.

nagblagger

Visit site
I had 2 dogs, a dog and bitch, the dog was aggressive to other dogs, so when the bitch died we thought stay as a one dog family due to his age and his anti-social behaviour. However he became very subdued over the months. We looked around for a young robust, submissive, friendly bitch. Ended up acquiring a lab x beagle a year old, (another story!) once introduced, we were very apprehensive, one growl, submissive bitch rolled over and that was it, she just ignored him when he was grumpy. It gave him a new lease of life for his last couple of years. Lovely to watch them play together, best thing we did for him, but it had to be the right dog.
(If interested bitch (Nell) can be seen on thread did you take a picture today, playing with her new mate)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site

I have 2 JRTs (sisters) and honestly I think they would be happier if they were on their own. They don't like sharing humans! We got 2 as felt that they would be company for each other, but they spend a lot of their day in different parts of the house.

I have had single dogs before (labs) and never felt they were missing something. Though they were both sociable and suspect they would have enjoyed canine company.