Are snails poisonous to dogs ?

Asha

Visit site
It could be a maize cob, my Labrador ate all sorts of things he wasn’t supposed to despite pretty strict supervision he could be very quick.
He managed to swallow a whole dead baby pigeon whilst on a lead, with no effect on him what’s so ever but one small pice of maize picked up in a field needed an operation to remove it, apparently they are one of the most common causes of blockage. He threw up some bits but no all of it and we had no choice but surgery.

i have seen maize cobs in the field, i hope it isnt that. Really dont want him to have to go through another surgery. Glad your lad is ok now. The speed in which they swallow is frightening isnt it. No chewing, just swallow

Asha

Visit site
I hope your dog recovers soon Asha, and that you find out what it was so you can try to avoid a repeat occurrence. It is frustrating that dogs will insist on trying to eat anything at least once, although at least they are usually fairy quick to bring it back up again.

I can certainly empathise: my mother's dog is the most orally-fixated dog I've ever known, and if she spots something 'interesting' it goes straight in her mouth at the speed of light. This has included metal bottle tops and pieces of glass, as well as several disgusting things, and makes her hard work to walk anywhere humans may have dropped things. Fortunately she is very happy to sit there and let you fish around in her mouth to retrieve whatever she is hiding, and other than the odd minor stomach upset she has been fine (and is 9 now). Unfortunately she has a predilection for slugs and snails and will crunch through as many as she can find in the garden, so has to be supervised when let out to toilet after dark/when it's wet. Rotten shellfish on the beach are another favoured delicacy 🤮

Just to clarify, as she isn't my dog I can't work on training, but the family all watch her and immediately empty her mouth of anything she shouldn't have in there. She has lots of toys at home and doesn't eat anything inappropriate indoors.

It is a worry when you don't know exactly what it is that they've eaten, so it sounds very sensible that your dog is staying at the vets until some improvement is seen (or the cause is detected). I hope you are ok tonight, dogs leave a big hole when they aren't at home with you where they should be.
thank you. Your mums dogs sounds as mad but also as lovely as Stirling. He will always let you fish anything out of his mouth too. I think we will have to take the same approach going forwards, watch like a hawk.

Asha

Visit site
Xray and ultra sound havent shown anything. So no blockage. They are going to feed him when he wakes up and if he keeps his food down they will let him home tonight. He will come back with 2 days worth of anti sickness meds, any further sickness and we are to take him straight back where they will scope him. But for now hes (maybe) on the mend.

Whilst im relieved there is no sign of a blockage, im a bit what the heck has happened to make him so sick. Thanks for your support everyone, its been much appreciated.

Clodagh

Visit site
Xray and ultra sound havent shown anything. So no blockage. They are going to feed him when he wakes up and if he keeps his food down they will let him home tonight. He will come back with 2 days worth of anti sickness meds, any further sickness and we are to take him straight back where they will scope him. But for now hes (maybe) on the mend.

Whilst im relieved there is no sign of a blockage, im a bit what the heck has happened to make him so sick. Thanks for your support everyone, its been much appreciated.
What a worry. Labradors are just gross. It’s not as if they even learn from their experiences. I hope he’s soon home and better

misst

Visit site
My JRT did this a couple of years ago. To this day we have no idea why but she suddenly puked everything up including all water and saliva. Scans and xrays showed stomach and bowel full of poo and old food but no obvious blockage, she's stoic and did not seem in pain and bloods were normal. After 48 hours on a drip with meds not working they did an exploratory laparotomy and found a distended stomach and bowel which were completely flacid and no peristalsis at all. Washed her gut through emptied her stomach. Drips and meds for another couple of days then thankfully it started working again. I am convinced she ate something up on the heath but who knows? She made a full recovery and once home even with her operation sutures etc you would not have known she had been ill. She had a month of meds tailed off gradually. I hope yours does as well as Ruby did.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
What a worry. Labradors are just gross. It’s not as if they even learn from their experiences. I hope he’s soon home and better

This.

My cat acquired a nice vet bill this past weekend because he was vomiting, lethargic, and acting weird. Bloods were fine. He was quite backed up with a lot of stool in his colon. They gave him anti nausea meds, which caused him to drool. He also got fluids and an enema, which caused things to start coming out of the back end. He's now fine.

Who knows what caused it. The joy of pets 🤣

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site

thank you . As they are quite clever dogs why don’t they blooming learn !
My JRT did this a couple of years ago. To this day we have no idea why but she suddenly puked everything up including all water and saliva. Scans and xrays showed stomach and bowel full of poo and old food but no obvious blockage, she's stoic and did not seem in pain and bloods were normal. After 48 hours on a drip with meds not working they did an exploratory laparotomy and found a distended stomach and bowel which were completely flacid and no peristalsis at all. Washed her gut through emptied her stomach. Drips and meds for another couple of days then thankfully it started working again. I am convinced she ate something up on the heath but who knows? She made a full recovery and once home even with her operation sutures etc you would not have known she had been ill. She had a month of meds tailed off gradually. I hope yours does as well as Ruby did.

So pleased Ruby made a full recovery. It’s the not knowing what’s caused it that’s so frustrating. Did you change anything going forwards ? I’m loathed to keep him on lead to stop him scoffing random stuff as he loves to play in the fields and it helps keep him nice and trim

Asha

Visit site
This.

My cat acquired a nice vet bill this past weekend because he was vomiting, lethargic, and acting weird. Bloods were fine. He was quite backed up with a lot of stool in his colon. They gave him anti nausea meds, which caused him to drool. He also got fluids and an enema, which caused things to start coming out of the back end. He's now fine.

Who knows what caused it. The joy of pets 🤣
Glad he’s better, sounds exactly like Stirling . Yes the erm vet bill is totting up nicely too . I accidentally carried his insurance on. ( was going to cancel it , but they had taken full payment before I remembered) so at least the large part will be paid for . Stroke of luck 🤣

Nasicus

Visit site
This is mine when she licked a snail once. I can certainly see eating one causing a fair bit of tummy upset!
20220407_112005.jpg

Fingers crossed your is well enough to come home tonight!

Clodagh

Visit site
Glad he’s better, sounds exactly like Stirling . Yes the erm vet bill is totting up nicely too . I accidentally carried his insurance on. ( was going to cancel it , but they had taken full payment before I remembered) so at least the large part will be paid for . Stroke of luck 🤣
That happened to me once, my lurcher, forgot to cancel and she ended up at the vets on a Sunday having 45 stitches and a blood transfusion. Little wins.
Any update on him?

Asha

Visit site
That happened to me once, my lurcher, forgot to cancel and she ended up at the vets on a Sunday having 45 stitches and a blood transfusion. Little wins.
Any update on him?
They said if I didn’t hear back then he’s kept his food down and I can pick him up at 5pm . So far no calls 🤞
This is mine when she licked a snail once. I can certainly see eating one causing a fair bit of tummy upset!
View attachment 140410

Fingers crossed your is well enough to come home tonight!
oh bless her . She looks so poorly . Glad she’s ok now .
Until now I’d never have thought dogs would even try to lick or eat a snail .

Asha

Visit site
How is Stirling Asha? I hope you were able to collect him and he is back home with you and looking brighter.
He’s back home. But very tired / flat . Which I guess is to be expected. A bit winey and panting a bit more than I’d like . But he’s just fallen asleep now , so hoping he wakes up feeling a bit better.

misst

Visit site
So pleased Ruby made a full recovery. It’s the not knowing what’s caused it that’s so frustrating. Did you change anything going forwards ? I’m loathed to keep him on lead to stop him scoffing random stuff as he loves to play in the fields and it helps keep him nice and trim
Thank you :) touch wood she is great and hasn't looked back. No I didn't change anything - we live on a protected common and it is wonderful for the dogs. The downside is there is a lot of wildlife including adders which turn up from time to time in our garden. We keep away from ground nesting sites and snake areas but there are plenty of reptiles and snakes who are in busier areas. Ruby may have eaten something like snails or may have ingested some mushrooms or similar. There is even the chance that she ingested some drugs of some sort as occasionally local kids have a spliff or two up in the woods. I too am reluctant to restrict my dogs more than needed (within the rules of the wildlife trust of course.). Two years on we have had no recurrence.
My vets were flummoxed and just said her diagnosis was "Ileus of unknown cause". Her bloods did not suggest poison. I really did think we would lose her for a day or so. My dogs are treated for lungworm regularly since a friends dog died from it about 15 years ago and I discovered it is prevalent in the area.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Lovely to see that Stirling is at home with you @Asha, I hope that he has a good night's sleep and feels perkier in the morning after a good rest in his own bed. I hope that you also manage to get a good night's sleep after all the worry.

Asha

Visit site
Thank you :) touch wood she is great and hasn't looked back. No I didn't change anything - we live on a protected common and it is wonderful for the dogs. The downside is there is a lot of wildlife including adders which turn up from time to time in our garden. We keep away from ground nesting sites and snake areas but there are plenty of reptiles and snakes who are in busier areas. Ruby may have eaten something like snails or may have ingested some mushrooms or similar. There is even the chance that she ingested some drugs of some sort as occasionally local kids have a spliff or two up in the woods. I too am reluctant to restrict my dogs more than needed (within the rules of the wildlife trust of course.). Two years on we have had no recurrence.
My vets were flummoxed and just said her diagnosis was "Ileus of unknown cause". Her bloods did not suggest poison. I really did think we would lose her for a day or so. My dogs are treated for lungworm regularly since a friends dog died from it about 15 years ago and I discovered it is prevalent in the area.

Thats such a relief, so glad shes ok.

The vets have given us some treatment for lungworm too, just in case.
Lovely to see that Stirling is at home with you @Asha, I hope that he has a good night's sleep and feels perkier in the morning after a good rest in his own bed. I hope that you also manage to get a good night's sleep after all the worry.

Thank you silverlinings, yes slept so well last night, and more importantly so did Stirling. He was so tired, one minute he was sat next to me cuddling his favourite toy the next i moved and he fell sideways and stayed asleep. It was as if he had passed out. Had to feel his tummy to make sure he was still breathing.
This morning hes much more normal, waggy tail and extremely cuddly. Had a little walk to stretch his legs, and hes now back asleep

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Only just caught this. I've had 2 different dogs at different times go ditch-diving and been ill like this. Vet thought it was a bacterial infection as nothing showed on X ray. Both recovered with a decent vets bill to show for it, after meds and being on a drip.

Dogs, eh? :rolleyes: