Are there any decent GP saddles?

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey guys

Looking for a new saddle for B and wondered if anyone had suggestions. He currently has a working hunter saddle, but of course, no one would ever hunt in one of these! I really need to get a leather saddle with a bit more knee roll so I have somewhere to put my knee, rather than mid air!

I don't want to go down the jumping saddle route as they're too forward cut for the showring. Working hunter isn't overly huge either - maximum of 1.10 which is only if we get to the dizzy heights of HOYS qualifiers, somewhat unlikely since jumping 85cm makes me feel squeamish!

So any suggests for a forward cut saddle that isn't too forward cut (*insert eye roll here*).

I figured a GP would be the way to go, but the whole 'Generally Purposeless' phrase does put me off them. Has anyone got a VSD cut saddle? How do you find them for jumping in?

Thanks!

JessandCharlie

Visit site
I have a Bates Caprilli GP and I love it! I'm much happier jumping in it than my Albion Jumping saddle, much happier schooling in it, generally prefer it ;) I bought a selection of knee rolls and thigh blocks, did a bit of a DIY job :)eek:) on the sweat flap and sewed some velcro in so I had something behind my leg, and I swap and change between jumping/dressage knee rolls depending on what I'm doing.

I've been really pleasantly surprised by how good it's been, and being a slightly cheeky 4yo, little horse tests my ability to stay in it ;) :p

J&C

teazle

Visit site
A friend of mine has got a Kieffer Garmisch that is pretty forward cut, but I don't think you can get them new any more. The advantage of those is that you can take a template and get it heat treated to the shape of the horse - costs about £100 a time but means that you never have to buy a new one again. And you can pick up any of them, regardless of what fit it is at that moment.

rossiroo

Visit site
At the moment I am useing a GFS event/gp saddle and find it great, have used a falcon hawk event and found that good. I think it depends on the horses shoulder, and how it moves and jumps as to how much knee roll you need.But i must say I feel secure in my GFS and it doesn't look too forward cut.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I have an ideal event saddle which is forward cut enough to be helpful when jumping but dnot so much that it covers the shoulder too much - also very comfy for rider :)

be positive

Visit site
The Ideal event is a really good saddle and would not look out of place in the show ring they do a VSD also nice to ride in.

Mince Pie

Visit site
My collegiate GP saddle is lush, cost me £300 second hand.
f678b8ee.jpg

rara007

Visit site
I have my 4YO in the K+M VSD. It definately is a compromise, but looks the part for showing, and isn't a hinderance for dressage or I'd expect jumping, though not much of a help! It is deep enough to give a good secure feeling, and at 5'4 with 17.5 inch I can get my stirrups right up to jumping length without going over the flaps. I'm looking fowards to him being a grown up and being allowed a proper dressage saddle though!

Nic

Visit site
I've evented at BE90 in a Silhouette VSD saddle, I love it & it is seriousy comfy. However as the fences went up the cantle kept smacking my bum!

MissSBird

Visit site
Well that's comforting to know!

Lots of great ideas there, thanks. Obviously a lot will depend on fit which won't be easy, but thanks for the recommendations!