Are there any insurance companies that don't cost the earth and will pay out a claim?

R2D2

Visit site
Horse insurance is due again, and I have started searching the internet for quotes for my 7 year old Warmblood. So far if I renew with my current company its £600, and that is the cheapest I can find anywhere. It seems ridiculously expensive, but I'm not brave enough to take the risk of not insuring, so wondering if there is a cheaper, reasonable option out there, or if I am just going to have to suck it up, and pay the renewal?

Shay

Visit site
Insurance is a gamble - and like much gambling the odds are stacked in favour of the house. You may find cheaper insurance - but will they pay out if you do have to claim?

I always insured the competition ponies. But now we have hunters I'm afraid I don't bother. And like any gambler who chooses not to play - I'm currently winning. But if you need some underpin you could check out KBIS catastrophe cover. At least the broker has a reasonable reputation.

dixie

Visit site
Petplan are cheaper if you opt for the high excess option. They’ve always paid out for me - several large claims.

asmp

Visit site
Try Shearwater. I was with them for years and as they are brokers, they would adapt the policy to fit my finances. Always very helpful and I did have some big claims when I first went with them.

I don't insure now as my horse is 18 and there were too many exclusions

Annagain

Visit site
I've self insured for the last 6 years - paying what I was paying in insurance into a savings account. I set myself certain rules, which I've stuck to, so only dip into it for things I would have claimed for (more than £200) but insisted my vet treats them as if they are insured and doesn't skimp on anything he thinks could help them. So far, I've only had to dip into it once - about £2k for a bone scan and subsequent treatment - so I'm about £5k up at the moment. My two are both 22 now so I doubt I'd put them through any major surgery so can't see me using it all up on treatment now.

BarneyTheChestnutOne

Visit site
I am really going through it with my horses at the moment, 2 claims for one horse and another just yesterday for my other. both insured with NFU and they have been great, really understanding. They might be a bi more expensive but they are worth every penny x