Are there any rules regarding a racehorse wearing bling!?

Lucy1992

Visit site
Pretty much as the title says! I've bought a couple of racehorses recently. One is at home having a break and the other is in training (races tomorrow ekkkk!!!)any way my one running tomorrow has the name gold in his name and out of interest I was wondering if there are any rules regarding the turn out of the horse. Can they wear bling browbands or have gold glitter hoof polish? I was going to order him a matching silk/velvet browband to my silks but thought it might be a bit more fun to bling my boy up in future races as his name gives me the perfect excuse! In hindsight I should of bought a mare haha! Poor lad!

Visit site
Browbands are fine but I wouldn't go for the ones with the big rosettes on the side. They are just annoying and get filthy quickly. Glitter hoof oil - please!!! Your not 5yo! Your horse is not a kids pony doing fancy dress! I would be absolutely mortified if an owner asked me to put that stuff on their horse! I would do it of course but them I would hand it to someone else to lead up because I won't be associated with such nonsense. I have seen people use glitter spray on their quarter markers and in the horses tail but again, this looks childish and tacky. Not something any well respecting stable lad or lass will ever subject their poor horse to!

So in response to your question - no, there are no rules as such but please don't make your horse look like a ****!

By all means get your own browband to match your silks, design your own quarter markers if you like but leave the glitter to the kids pony shows.

Lucy1992

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I really don't know why people get so emotional about this I was just reading and old thread about something like this and that person got so much hate it's unreal! At the end of the day it's light hearted fun!!! In my opinion racing needs a bit more of that!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
What about the other one, has he been turned out yet? Last time I heard about him he was stabled, not a good plan, imho.
I think you can buy special hoof oil which is black, and some have gold labels!
If you want him to look cool, have a handmade headcollar with his nameplate, that is proper class. He can have a matching lead up rein.
The saddler at the Irish National stud will make one to order. I am sure there are others.

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
He sounds like he'd look pretty swish in a brass browband :) you can get some gorgeous designs!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I was just reading and old thread about something like this and that person got so much hate it's unreal!

Of course you were.

You read an old thread about glitter on racehorses where someone "got so much hate" then decided to post your own.

Make sure you spread plenty glitter on the horn beteeen their eyes as well for authenticity.

Lucy1992

Visit site
Of course you were.

You read an old thread about glitter on racehorses where someone "got so much hate" then decided to post your own.

Make sure you spread plenty glitter on the horn beteeen their eyes as well for authenticity.

Haha oh dear no it was about glitter on a horse not a racehorse!

Lucy1992

Visit site
Hi! Yes he is now out! Thank god! We got to turn out at our yard a few days ago!! He is very happy and it's already done him the world of good. I have a new vet seeing him now so hoping to get to the bottom of the problem although touch wood he seems to be improving from turnout. Thank you for asking :).

He has a leather head collar with his name on and matching lead rope to my colours.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What's the name of your horse that's running today?

Last edited:

Lucy1992

Visit site
Lingfield, your first race as an owner (?) - good luck :)

Thank you! Yes it's my first runner! My partner has a hurdler but my heart belongs to flat racing so it's very exciting. I bought him a few weeks ago :). His just going out for a blast today to see where we are at with him. he is up against seriously nice horses today so no expectations at all. Just get home safe that's all I care about!

tonitot

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies but I used to lead up a horse whose owners wanted him to run in a very blingy browband. It's was very sparkly and could be seen a mile off. Everyone in the stable yard at the races made comments about it and I found it quite embarrassing having to lead him up wearing it.
There aren't any rules against it and the horse couldn't give a toss but I hated leading the horse up in that browband so much that I would conveniently forget to pack it when I got the racing gear ready. Worked well for me when he then ran 3 times in a normal leather browband and finished 3rd, 2nd then 1st and his owners decided the sparkly browband was bad luck or something so I never had to use it again!

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies but I used to lead up a horse whose owners wanted him to run in a very blingy browband. It's was very sparkly and could be seen a mile off. Everyone in the stable yard at the races made comments about it and I found it quite embarrassing having to lead him up wearing it.
There aren't any rules against it and the horse couldn't give a toss but I hated leading the horse up in that browband so much that I would conveniently forget to pack it when I got the racing gear ready. Worked well for me when he then ran 3 times in a normal leather browband and finished 3rd, 2nd then 1st and his owners decided the sparkly browband was bad luck or something so I never had to use it again!

That's something that I would do as well 😂😂😂 nah in all honesty browbands aren't too bad but i do draw the line at glitter! We will have a couple of horses running in on of the new silk designs next season - the paw print and dog ones. We have those as 1/4 markers for their horses too which don't look too bad if you do them right. I quite like doodling on them.

Visit site
It's probably One for Arthur isn't it?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

poiuytrewq

Visit site
EKW- is One for Authur from your yard?!

We had one who's mummy purchased the most awful coloured gem browband, I'm not even sure what it was and I quite like a bit of bling.... everyone forgot to pack it.....