Are there ever any horse who TRULY enjoy jumping?

DonskiWA

Visit site
I had a point-and-shoot jumper who was strong and very rushy and never refused anything. I used to fool myself that he 'loved' jumping. So therefore I loved jumping.
I'm a big animal sook and can only enjoy the discipline if I think my horse enjoys it.
I'm needing to go horse shopping again and really only want to jump if the horse wants to. Do these horses exist?

Are there some that truly 'love' jumping, 'love' dressage etc.? Or at least 'like?'.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think if a horse is given the correct tools to do a job most will enjoy what they are asked to do. By tools i mean, correct training scales, a comfortable and fit body and the correct conformation for the physical demands being made on it.

Far too many horses are asked to do things they physically cannot do.

be positive

Visit site
I agree with AA most will enjoy their job whatever it is if they are given the correct tools.

They do exist, I have known a few that obviously love their jumping, they take a real pride in doing it well, if horses can show that emotion, I think it is in part due to good correct training in the early days but with some from day 1 you know they get it and want to jump.
I currently have 2, 1 a 13.2 New Forest who jumps for fun, he enjoyed jumping from the very first day he jumped on the lunge and once ridden went on to be the most honest pony who never spooked, refused or rushed, he was regularly placed in classes because he was almost learning the courses, he was too slow to be a real winner but rarely faulted.
The only problem was once he learned jumping was fun and easy I could not longer keep him in the field I chose, he jumped out over post and rail as well as electric, if he couldn't get over he found he could wriggle through, he still jumps from field to field despite no longer being 100% he has not got much longer with us but while he still jumps out I cannot make that call.

The other is my ISH who is jumping bred, the only job he enjoys is jumping, flatwork is considered by him to be warming up to jump, dressage is not in his vocabulary, hacking is tolerated but he just enjoys jumping so obviously and takes a pride in doing it well, unfortunately he had an accident so jumping was not allowed for some time, he now belongs to me and I don't jump so it is limited to when his old owner can ride him.

I have known many others, one or two similar to the ISH were from jumping bred stock and it does seem to flow in the blood, that said I am sure there are many bred for the job that don't have the desire, talent or training to enjoy jumping but I do think you can tell when you go and see them, sometimes a video will be enough to see they are not enjoying it.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Our old pony loved jumping. He would jump anything and just for fun jump out if his paddock, go jump in the girls have a bit of fun winding them up and then jump back out into his paddock again 😂
And in the winter we left his stable door open as he would jump put of his feild and put himself in ifhe felt so inclined and who ever sawhim.just closed the door.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Oh yes! I wouldn't have really believed it until I got my horse 6 years ago. If there are jumps set up in the school i have to turn my horse away from them otherwise she locks on. Also she has been known to jump not one extra jump on a course but two with me being a passenger & I physically have not be n able to stop her!

Shay

Visit site
My daughter's ISH is very much like the one be positive describes. Also bred only to SJ and there is absolutely no doubt he loves his jumping. In fairness to him he loves doing things well so will turn his hoof to most if asked nicely. But if it doesn't come easily or he gets confused he can get very cross and throw a real temper tantrum. But when he gets it and gets told he is good its like a beaming toddler. He loves it! Both he - and she - are learning to tolerate the dressage necessary as he now events.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Yes, Topaz adores jumping! I've never ridden another quite like her, she really loves it and yes we also have issues containing her as she will also jump out of fields on a whim :eek:.

However she is also super sensitive about life and after an accident and then starting to do dressage I made the decision that jumping should stay her 'hobby' if you will and not make it too difficult for her. This meant I decided to knock competing on the head and just let her jump for fun at home and on fun rides/farm rides etc. Just recently we've picked it back up and she's possibly even more excited and bold about it than before so I think the break from competition has done her the world of good, I'm still undecided about whether to do anymore than a few bits and bobs a year.

blackhor2e

Visit site
My current eventer, is a jumper through and through. I would say he enjoys it (otherwise would he do it willingly?) although I think adrenaline also helps here. A bit of excitement goes a long way in my estimation. And of course he prefers jump lessons to dressage, as dressage to him is very controlled whereas jumping is soft hands and allows him to use himself how he sees fit over the jump.

smja

Visit site
Yes, mine does. He's very independent and if he thinks you're not doing a good enough job he'll take over - for example the Novice xc where I was so ill I could barely stay on him, and he jumped himself round clear. I would not have ridden any other horse that day.

He does not enjoy dressage. He will now tolerate limited doses of it, but he never enjoys it like jumping or galloping.

spacefaer

Visit site
Yes - I've had several who would loose school themselves over jumps if left in the arena with them.

I had one who I could not keep in any field as he jumped out. He would jump electric tape if it was on, walk underneath it if it was off. He has jumped a hanging metal 5 bar gate out of trot "just because" and I have a video of him jumping out of a grassy field into one with less grass, and no horses, again, "just because"

He was seriously talented - won a puissance at 1.85m but he had given up showjumping, having been overcompeted as a young horse - I couldn't get him into an indoor school if he thought he was going to be asked to jump - but would jump absolutely anything out hunting (or by himself!!)

View

Visit site
Our lad made it very plain. Flatwork was tolerated unless you were doing lateral work - then he concentrated and enjoyed it.

Show jumping. Nope - a mug's game. You'd be hard pushed to get him over a 60cm fence.

Cross country - now you're talking. Alert, interested, ears mobile taking you forwards to the fences. You've made a hash of the line? Don't worry, he'll get you out of it. I swear he had telescopic legs! 100 tracks were no problem to him.

Hacking, yep, enjoyable - but please, find him a log or two to pop over, or a stream to wade through.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I hope you can see this link ok.

If you go to 1:00 on the video - the rider unfortunately takes a tumble but looks as though she gets up ok, but the horse carries on and jumps 10+ jumps on his own - and looks like he's really enjoying himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAUdHjYB1U

ETA: Just checked again and I think it's 14 jumps!

Last edited:

FlyingCircus

Visit site
My lad loves jumping without a doubt.
Locks on to jumps all the time and you're hard pressed to convince him you DON'T want to go over that 1.20m oxer that was NOT built with a chubby Connemara in mind...
Around a course you pretty much steer, hold on and try to not look terrified as he flies around at a hundred miles an hour, thoroughly loving every minute whilst I remain unconvinced!!

Bernster

Visit site
Only limited experience but my mare would always lock on and she'd be jumping even if I wasn't keen. It's an amazing feeling. I don't know if was partly training partly attitude or previous good schooling, or just from a love of it, but it was fab whatever the reason!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think my now-retired horse really loved to jump but only in the sense that he seemed to know it made me happy. He wouldn't take himself off to go and jump some jumps in his field for example, but I never forced him to jump and he was always keen and very willing with his ears pricked at all times so I do think he enjoyed it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my old horse used to jump for fun in the field loose. the others would run around the jumps, she would jump them. she also jumped from field to field leaving the other horses and then finally jumping back in with them. she wasn't keen on dressage but loved her jumping...

Kylara

Visit site
I had a lovely pony who lived to jump. 13.3 and could jump well over 4ft with ease. Would jump anything that was available if allowed. Jumped the gate of an arena once, with me on board, when he got fed up of schooling. Popped fences when he didn't want ot get caught, and once saw him hopping between fields over very tall fences, apparently for the sheer fun of it! Didn't like the dressage so much and once refused to get on the trailer after taking him to a pure dressage comp - he hadn't got to do his jumping!

Once his technique was sorted he was amazing and always cheered up when a jump appeared. He very minorly preferred SJ over XC due to being ever so slightly reluctant to leave others, but adored big wide XC fences. It was more a concentration thing with him though and we got eliminated every so often at water jumps through rivers and streams as he would piss off and chase ducks in between jumps (I kid you not).

I had another who enjoyed jumping but preferred dressage. Had to jump every week or so though to keep the variety, any more and he'd throw more frequent tantrums (very tantrummy pony, but never at a dressage comp!)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes both my horses love to jump. I think if they are trained in the correct manner and are sound then there's no reason why any horse shouldn't enjoy it. Some will be more talented and braver than others of course, but if you stay within their comfort zone and they are well trained, why wouldn't they. Indeed all of my horses are enthusiastic and keen to do anything I might want them to do, and several of them came to me as reluctant nappy idiots, so it would seem to me the right attitude from the rider will generally transfer on to the horse.

rachk89

Visit site
Yeah mine loves jumping, but he's not very good at it if I'm honest. He looks so happy doing it though, he'll loose school himself over jumps and only stop if you stop watching him (he loves an audience). He can be clumsy though and lazy. If he thinks he doesnt have to put effort in, he basically just canters through the jump. He doesnt care if its wooden poles either, he'll just smash them out of his way. He did however learn a costly lesson recently when he tried that, but ended up dangled in a lower pole he hadnt considered and flipped over. He was fine, as was the rider, but he is a little scared of any pink jump now. Working on it, he'll still jump anything else, just the pink ones he has issues and hesitates. Guess they are a different shade to other colours.

He does love an audience though. He hates attention not being on him, and will generally work better the more people who are watching him. Applause though he finds scary, go figure.

Abi90

Visit site
Mine is not a fan of showjumping. He's by a show jumper with quite a few SJI points and his grandsire is Clover Hill but he absolutely will have a tantrum over any showjump. He's talented and has good style and enormous jump, if you can get him over it.

Rustic stuff he seems to enjoy though and will lock onto logs etc.

Ahrena

Visit site
My boy adores it.

He just lights up when he jumps and when he jumps clear at a show he puts his head down and humps his back like weeeee I did good. Never does that when I have a pole

nikkimariet

Visit site
Yes.

Fig loves his jumping!!! We only do a little to keep us both refreshed and provide a break from flatwork schooling. He adores it!!!

IMG_7986_zpstyrfsngr.jpg

He is a 'doer' by nature and tends not to say no, which I think helps.

Pie's mum

Visit site
My boy adores it. He totally lights up when he sees fences and when he's jumped a good round he literally puffs himself up and struts around demanding stud muffins. You'd think he had won the olympics to see him..... We compete at 80cm....

Firewell

Visit site
Mine does. I think it is because he finds it easy and I think he genuinely loves the sensation of flying through the air. He is naturally bold and doesn't get flustered easily so his temperament lends itself to it also.
I think as long as they have been produced correctly and have the confidence there are lots of horses that love jumping. Horses love to run and leap and play and jumping is an extension of that.
I knew my horses would be good at jumping even though they were youngsters when we got them because both were the sort of horses that were curious and bold by nature and when faced with a pole both instinctively hopped over it without a hesitation :).

wench

Visit site
Mine does. Put her in a sj round, you don't get much choice but to sit there. She knows where she's going, what she's doing, and has already figured out which corners to slice off in aid of getting the fastest time at all possible

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
My boy does. He purposefully drags you over the any jumps, which can be a bit tricky if you're trying to do calm 'proper work' and he's trying to gallop over to the poles on the floor.

DonskiWA

Visit site
Ok, well you all have given me hope. I ADORED the video of the loose horse jumping around the course, he really was having a ball wasn't he! My boy used to love jumping like most of you have described, but for some reason has lost the love of it, so I feel it's time to hang up our jumping boots :(

Crackerz

Visit site
I hope you can see this link ok.

If you go to 1:00 on the video - the rider unfortunately takes a tumble but looks as though she gets up ok, but the horse carries on and jumps 10+ jumps on his own - and looks like he's really enjoying himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAUdHjYB1U

ETA: Just checked again and I think it's 14 jumps!

That made me chuckle!!

My retired pony was a demon in the ring, i just had to sit tight & steer - a contrast to how he acted when i first introduced him to poles - 10foot was too close for him! But once he 'got it' there was no stopping him