Are there many Barrie Swain jump saddles around?

Jo1980

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a Barrie Swain jumping saddle (second hand). Are there many around?

What do people think of them?

Where should I try to find a second hand one for sale?

Thanks

Jo1980

Visit site
Te he! Do you have a dressage one for sale!?

I already have a Barrie Swain semiflex dessage saddle and GP saddle! I absolutely love them both and more importantly my horse does!! I'm keeping the dressgae saddle but am looking to swap the GP for a jump saddle as I could do with a bit more support when I'm jumping and cross-countrying!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Barry made me a dressage saddle in 2004. There was no off the peg dressage saddle to fit my big shouldered 18 hander. Barry and Heather Moffatt designed and fitted the saddle for me and I doubt anyone would want to buy the saddle because it is so bespoke.

After a small wait and a lot of money I had my wonderful saddle. The horse loved it and won first time out in it, then went and died three months later. The saddle has been stored ever since.

blood_magik

Visit site
I have three swain semiflex saddles - a dressage, a gp and a jump. Lovely saddles and super comfy but I actually prefer jumping in the gp.

Not sure where you'd get one second hand as company I used did mine m2m but you could always ask - company is called APG Equine.

Jo1980

Visit site
Aww AA, I'm so sorry to hear about your horse. I'm sure there is a market for your saddle so you should think about trying to sell it.

Thanks B_M, I'll try them. Do they have a website? Can I ask what makes you prefer jumping in the GP as opposed to the jumping saddle? Do you use your jumping saddle much then?

Capriole

Visit site
What sort of prices do the second hand BS/HM (specifically) saddles go for, since there are a few on this thread familiar with them? I've one here to sell and I've no idea what to put it at, it's about one of the ugliest saddles I've ever seen but it does seem nicely made.

mainpower

Visit site
How adjustable are the Barrie Swaines? I have a very difficult to fit horse who comes up wide in some makes and extra wide in others, I've been looking for a dressage saddle for ages now but no luck so far.

Jo1980

Visit site
Hi ester, thanks for the preloved link. It looks suitable but is probably a bit overpriced as it's not a semiflex (which is the latest model, the best design & technology & therefore more expensive of the Swain saddles!).

Mainpower, generally the Barrie Swain saddles are very adjustable. I think you'd be really pleased with one, it's definitely worth you looking in to it.

Capriole, it depends which model saddle it is but I'd probably say about £200 for the majority of them as they are the older technology and design. If you find the right person though you could get much more than that!

Kerilli, Ideally I'm looking for a 17.5, black, medium, semiflex jumping saddle. The width isn't as important as (as I've mentioned above) it can be altered & I would have it checked & fitted either way. I would consider an older model (similar to the preloved one) but it would have to be at the right price.

kerilli

Visit site
Ah, mine are all brown and are semiflex precursors. Medium and slightly NM. You do realise that there's a limit to how much of a width fitting they can alter them, don't you? Can't go more than 1 fitting really, ideally...

Capriole

Visit site
Capriole, it depends which model saddle it is but I'd probably say about £200 for the majority of them as they are the older technology and design. If you find the right person though you could get much more than that!

Cheers, it's a black GP. This is what the owner wrote for me on a little note: Heather Moffett Flexible tree, bespoke by Barry Swain, Walsall Saddle Co. [etc.], wool lined and stuffed. Something about BS standard that I can't read, and [word that might be 'phoenix'] is most similar. New £1700.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
They are certainly ugly but so comfortable to use. This is my bespoke dressage saddle not been used for 10 years.

saddle001_zps9c9f42c8.jpg

Jo1980

Visit site
Thanks Kerilli, I'll make sure I don't go for a really narrow or really wide one then.

Capriole, you could try looking at completed listings on ebay to see how well they sell and what sort of price they go for?

Jo1980

Visit site
Hhhmmmm that's a difficult one then Capriole! From doing just a few minutes of online research it looks as though they are worth about £300-£500 second hand, depending on condition, if it is a Fhoenix one?

Last edited:

Capriole

Visit site
No, it's a bespoke one, notes say it's most similar to Phoenix though. I think. Hard handwriting.
I've not found anything online it actually does look like, doesn't actually look anything LIKE a Fhoenix to me, though, got to be said. So maybe she means in construction. Don't know. (mind you, don't know how I've come to be the one trying to sell it for her either :rolleyes: )

blood_magik

Visit site
Thanks B_M, I'll try them. Do they have a website? Can I ask what makes you prefer jumping in the GP as opposed to the jumping saddle? Do you use your jumping saddle much then?

I think it's www.apgequine.com

I'm not really sure - I think it's that my gp has bigger knee blocks and a bit of a deeper seat whereas the jump is almost like a close contact. That said, my other jump saddle has massive knee blocks and a seat similar to the semiflex gp so it's probably just my personal preference, especially now that I have horse with a really scopy jump.

I had the tree narrowed on the gp when donks changed shape and I'm glad I did it - it's such a comfy saddle and he hasn't had a sore back since we changed from the Whitaker.

AA - my dressage saddle looks very similar to that and I had it made about 3 years ago using a Barrie Swain semiflex tree. Super comfy saddle :smile3:

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I've got a BS black dressage saddle as well. It is quite old, I bought it secondhand. Very comfortable and horse goes well in it. It measures 18" but isn't too big on my
horse even though my GP is 171/2.

I keep wondering whether to sell it or not, as I doubt if I will do any more dressage, but one saddler said it was a better tree fitting than my GP, so I keep it in the tack room and wonder what to do with it every time I look at it!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I've got a BS black dressage saddle as well. It is quite old, I bought it secondhand. Very comfortable and horse goes well in it. It measures 18" but isn't too big on my
horse even though my GP is 171/2.

I keep wondering whether to sell it or not, as I doubt if I will do any more dressage, but one saddler said it was a better tree fitting than my GP, so I keep it in the tack room and wonder what to do with it every time I look at it!

I did advertise mine, no interest at all.

jj4y

Visit site
I've got a Barrie Swain Semiflex jumping saddle and a Humphries and Swain dressage saddle for sale...only available as I've just got my horse a new semiflex WH

Jo1980

Visit site
Do people who have Barrie Swain jumping saddles like them? I don't feel that secure jumping in my GP so I'm hoping I'd feel better in a jumping saddle!