Are there people out there that want a big horse?

lochpearl

Visit site
Just wondering really whether there is a market for a big horse nowadays. I have a 17.2+ gelding which is brilliant in all ways but just really wondering where the best place is to advertise him and how to advertise him.

nobbster

Visit site
horsemart, brill i love big horse, but at the mo looking for one for my dad but has to be 100% sound.x

good luck

kit279

Visit site
Depends on the horse really and the sort of home you want for him. He's maybe a bit big for a teenager or a riding club competition home but if he's a weight carrier, then maybe a man's hunter or a serious competition horse if he's showing talent? Either way, can you get him out competing or take him for a few months hunting before you sell him?

lochpearl

Visit site
nobbster - he is 100% sound!! If you want to pm me and let me know what your looking for I can tell you if he might be suitable!!

lochpearl

Visit site
thanks kit279. He has done xc, dressage, showing and showjumping, so the only thing he hasn't done is hunted - problem is this time of the year no hunting!!

It has been a really tough decision to sell him but I am only 5ft4 and he has just grown too big, I also have big problems with my back.

Girlracer

Visit site
My boy is 17.2, i much prefer a big horse. They make the jumps look smaller to
wink.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I don't see any reason why not. Most of the horses on our livery yard are 16.3hh and upwards! At 5ft4 I find my 17hh IDx a big horse and wouldn't go any bigger, but I'm quite small so a taller lady or a man might well be interested.

How old is he? Could you get him to a couple of fun rides and then sell him as potential hunter if he's a youngish horse? It's worth contacting your local hunt secretaries to ask them to send an email round to the mailing list with your ad in. I did that when I put my pony on loan and I get a few through every month from a hunt I went out with in Hants advertising loan or sale horses (had one through today).

lochpearl

Visit site
I would say he was a weight carrier but not sure how heavy, he has taught a 16+stone man to ride before I had him.

He is the chestnut in my sig - he is very good looking and we always get stopped at shows saying how stunning he is. It is very hard for me as I really don't want to sell him but he really has just outgrown me in size and potential.

I just need to find the right home for him, where he will stay and flourish.

His temprament is to die for!!!!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
There are definately people out there who want a big horse.
I have just got one (an 18.1 so you don't get much bigger than that!) and I am 'only' 5'7. When I was looking my MINIMUM height was 17hh, i just feel too leggy on anything smaller. If he has got a good temprament and is suitable for a novice rider then you will definately people interested in him - there are always men who want to learn to ride or buy there first horse and find it difficult finding something big enough with a good temprament.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Definately a market for them- one of the things that may put people off is if, like me, people are trying to get lifts in other peoples trailers then having a 17,2hh can complicate things! I love riding horses but have set myself a max height of 17hh for when I'm looking, as I'm only 15 and 5ft7, and 2 hands is already a HUGE jump from a 15hh, let along 2.2hh!

tasel

Visit site
I like big horses... and so does a friend of mine who is 6 feet tall and doesn't look at anything less than 17hh!!!

But yes, tall men would be very interested, too, I guess.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
I have VERY long legs and would love a taller horse, but only if their temp was right, otherwise I would feel too over horsed! I love riding the ponies, but need to stop, and ride bigger, eventer types, as I ride so much better!!!

What £££ you looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 17hh (and a bit!) boy is the easiest horse I have ridden, temperament-wise. My pony can be a little s*** and my 15.3hh was the most opinionated horse I've sat on! The big lad is a really nice sort, so easy. He sometimes gets his feet in a muddle though - I think his feet and brain take a while to catch up with each other sometimes
wink.gif

Brontie

Visit site
From what you said (Bombproof, Height) he sounds an ideal type of Police Horse. You can get in contact with them, and see where it takes from there?

Nick
smile.gif

DW Team

Visit site
I would say yes there are I had lots of people ring (22 to date) me about my 17.1hh 4 year old. Second person to come and see him bought him. He went to his new home on Saturday. I placed his add both with H&H online and Horse Deals and he sold through Horse Deals for nearly the asking price before he made the magazine. Very sad sale as he was the last of his line. Satallion has now gone and Dam is now 24. Even sold still getting calls took one today and the lady asked if I had anymore like him.