Are there 'tactics' in competing/training?

FFF

Visit site
For my PE AS Level I need to do a presentation on tatics in horse riding. But, honestly I don't have a clue where to start or what to do!

I need at least three ideas, so can anyone help! :D

Thanks

Sammy_46

Visit site
erm...only thing I can really think of is when you're showjumping and ride for a steady clear in a jump off as there aren't many others jumping clear?
Or when we jump as a team at Pony Club competitions we always make the someone likely to get round clear go first, the most nervous second and third and someone confident or who at least doesn't feel any pressure from other members to go last. Is that any good for you? lol x

little_critter

Visit site
How about when you watch team XC and the first person that goes for the team scopes out the course and gives advice to the rest of the team?

Walrus

Visit site
Maybe consider the tactics of riding for a team as opposed to riding as an individual. When riding for a team it is the team that comes first not individual glory as such - you can take more risks as an individual.

How about looking up team sports such as polo and polocrosse there must be certain tacticss and "set play" pieces like those used in football you can discuss.

Don't know if you'd consider it a sport as such for PE exam purposes but in showing it can be quite tactical to choose which judge to ride under depending on what type of ponies they have appeared to like in previous competitions.

Kat

Visit site
What about looking at the format of uni competitions where they all use the same horses?

They hold these at the yard where I have lessons as there is a lot of strategy is deciding which rider to put on which horse and so on as well as the usual go safe and steady or fast in SJ.

Walrus

Visit site
Just had a thought - RACING!!! That's what you need to be thinking about: distances, stayers, sprinters, running a horse over hurdles or fences. Types of ground suiting horses, left or right handed track. Instructions to jockey - to do all the running or to wait it out and push at the end!

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
Or what about tactics in training, like feeding and fitness and which competitions to aim at (or avoid) and when to move up a level. How long to warm up for and all that kind of thing.

Nat_in_Kent

Visit site
A couple of friends I know did the chilham hunter trail this year, they did the individual class first to work out what jumps their horses werent overly keen on for example, and therefore worked it to their advantage in the pairs class swapping the lead at certain parts etc!

TGM

Visit site
I think you need to take a broad view of the term 'tactics' - basically it is 'an action or plan in order to achieve something', so there are lots of things you do in equestrian competition that could be suitable to be covered:

* walking the course and choosing the best lines of approach
* choosing the most suitable class at the best venue for the particular horse
* choosing whether on not to do a warm-up class depending on the temperament/energy levels/experience of the horse
* planning the best warm-up strategy for the particular horse
* watching other people's rounds/tests to see where problems may lie

etc., etc.

Kat

Visit site
What about looking at a mounted games team too?

They make decisions about which rider to send first and last, and which riders to pair for certain races where they go together. They also have to look at strategies for starts and practice the best strategies/methods for changeovers and so on.

FFF

Visit site
I think you need to take a broad view of the term 'tactics' - basically it is 'an action or plan in order to achieve something', so there are lots of things you do in equestrian competition that could be suitable to be covered:

* walking the course and choosing the best lines of approach
* choosing the most suitable class at the best venue for the particular horse
* choosing whether on not to do a warm-up class depending on the temperament/energy levels/experience of the horse
* planning the best warm-up strategy for the particular horse
* watching other people's rounds/tests to see where problems may lie

etc., etc.

Ahh, you are fab :D This is exactly what would work :D Thanks

Katie_Dodd

New User
Visit site
Any updates on this? im doing the same thing with my A-Levels, How does Walking a Course help with strategies and tactics to actually jumping the course?