Are these HEADSHAKING sysmptons?

Cloud9

Visit site
Hi sorry that this seems to have been done before but my horse is displaying head shaking symptons however do you think this is headshaking.

Horse has been fine up to last couple of weeks. When I ride on an evening its not so bad at all - however last few ride in the day he constantly wants to drag his head along the floor (and I mean for the whole ride), will lift it up but then drags me back down the floor again. This is at walk however when we trot - he starts head tossing, up down, up down, sometimes quite violently, then sometime he stops and shakes side to side like he has something in his ears. Sometimes it is as if he has been stung on the nose. Cannot canter him at all - he just can't cause all he concentrates on is this up and down head tossing, and jus seems to dull and depressed

He is a lazy type and today I did a 12 mile fun ride - with only about 1 mile being fun and that was the last mile!!!

Think I might try a nosenet - you can get complete 'nose bag' type ones - are they any good - I have an equilibrium one but it just seems to flop about and does not actually seem to stay where I want it - covering his nose - or should I use a flash noseband to keep it in place.

At my wits end - he is such a lovely boy but don't want to get him into the habit thinking it is ok to carry his head like this.

My the way he does not do this all year round - seems to have come on last month - getting to its severist this weekend.

rollonsummer

New User
Visit site
Hi there,
yes it does sound like your pony headshakes,i have the same problem with my pony it has got quite severe over the last few weeks and he hates it when it s windy,he acts like a bee or pin has pricked him on his nose too with a sharp jerk.
There is a thread running above have a look at that might give you some ideas on remedies.

danandyozz

Visit site
could be a pollen allergy, we had a horse that did that. We cut his whiskers off and bought a nose net, did help quite a lot! Also make sure his teeth are up to date and that you use a qualified and well trained EDT or Vet.

Cloud9

Visit site
His teeth were last done in November - never sure how often is best - every six months of every 12? His saddle was done end of January. he has been great but recently changed since mid April I would say? I always wondered if it was bright sunlight but he was bad when it was overcast a couple of weeks ago?

Loubiepoo

Visit site
He does sound very much like a headshaker and the fact that his symptoms have started in the last few weeks suggest that the main trtigger factor is pollen. I would try a nose net with a flash over it to hold it down and contact your vet. I've had some success with a specific antihistamine (cetirizine hydrochloride) and a full face mask in the field at all times.

Cloud9

Visit site
Thanks Khnat - I am almost sure he is a headshaker - however my doubt was because he does try to evade and does tend to lean on his bit (I use a pelham) but he has been great recently - no sign of leaning and quite fit. Like I said he gradually got worse from about mid April to his worst last weekend. However he does not to it half as much if I school him ?! (not that I do this very often as I hate it. I think I have ready every post possible (I searched the forum) and realise that what works for one will not work for another. Someone told me to give him Magnitude as the magnesium can help however I have not seen any change with him on this? We do have alot of rape by us which I not causes big problems and there never used to be so much as now. Just hope he improves once it is harvested.