Are they cold??

wiglet

Visit site
We had heavy rain overnight and this morning. I'd left my two naked as it was far too warm to rug yesterday evening and they have plenty of weight, hair, natural shelter in the field as well as a field shelter.

This morning, when I went to check them before work, they were both stood in the rain, quivering. I felt them all over - they didn't feel cold. I gave them breakfast - just a handful for my youngster and a bigger feed for my oldie. They both stopped quivering :)

So, were they cold or were they just waiting for breakfast and trying to make me feel quilty?! Did everyone else rug last night or not and were your horses ok?

Moomin1

Visit site
I wouldn't worry even if they were. Shivering is their way of warming up and certainly won't do them any harm unless they are unwell or arthritic.

Dizzle

Visit site
As far as I'm aware 'cold' isn't a fatal condition. ;-)

As long as they aren't skinny then they'll be fine.

I've not rugged since 1st of March and hoping to avoid rugging at all over winter as she'll be pretty much out of work until spring!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine came in last night as I have no real shelter and one of mine will shiver if wet them gallop about, I went outside at midnight to fetch in and it just started raining so was good timing on my part, a bit of shivering wont hurt them as such unless you have one like mine that will charge about to keep warm:)

Fides

Visit site
Shivering is how the body keeps warm. Giving hard feed will have given their gut a 'boost' so they will have started generating heat from within. That's why it is important that they have enough forage.

Yes they can keep warm shivering but it is uncomfortable for them and much better to generate heat from digestion. Think ready brek ;)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Don't worry too much, I was the same last night. Too hot to rug but concerned that the arthritic one would be stiff this morning after the rain.

Horses are large animals designed to live outdoors, therefore they view temperature changes in a different way to us. As long as they're healthy, have some shelter from the wind and have adequate forage, being cold is a minor inconvenience. Better to be cold for a short while than too hot.

happyclappy

Visit site
they may have got a bit chilly but not enough to worry about as they soon got over it. no harm comes to us when we get goose bumps or shiver for a bit - well, normally