Are they looking a bit too well?

blood_magik

Visit site
I think two of our horses are looking a bit too well at the moment.
What do you guys think?

First one - 22 years old. 16.1 WB who weighed 540kg in October. I think he could do with a bit more topline over his quarters - he's been back in full work for approx 5 months following a tendon injury last april.
picture.php

Second one - 13 years old. 16.3 WB who weighed 560kg in October.
picture.php

Opinions? :)
Thanks in advance.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I think they look super. Just about see the outline of ribs in the first one. They look good to me. Healthy, shiney coats too!

blood_magik

Visit site
I find it hard to be objective because I see them everyday.

I'll have to get a picture of the big lad up.
Last time I thought he'd put on condition everyone thought he looked the same :eek:

blood_magik

Visit site
Ha :D Oh, go on then.
Timbi
picture.php

Jerry
picture.php

As I was saying, I honestly think that Timberland (the bay) could do with losing a few pounds but my dad reckons he's fine.

The vet recommended that Jerry (the chestnut) be kept on the light side because of his tendon injury but I really struggled to keep weight on him last winter. I'm paranoid about him getting a bit porky because he's in light work at the moment.

Auslander

Visit site
I'd say your chestnut boy looks good for an older horse - especially one you struggle to keep weight on.

Bay chap would be undergoing bootcamp if he were mine. He looks to have wintered a little too well! I'll happily take him off your hands if you don't fancy the job of getting his weight down - he is LOVELY!

blood_magik

Visit site
He belongs to my dad so you'd have to ask him nicely ;)

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks he could lose a little bit - I can feel his ribs easily. He just looks like he had a beer belly :D

I think I'll cut his hard feed a smidge and see how he looks in a few weeks.

Brimmers

Visit site
Hmmmmm. I would definately agree that the bay could drop a bit before the spring grass comes through, he's just a wee bit too covered in my opinion.

At first glance I thought the chesnut could as well, but then seeing his age and that you struggle to keep weight on him through the winter I think he's fine. However, with a tendon injury and spring grass coming I wouldn't want him any heavier :)

Looking good though!