Are they really hungry?

Ruftysdad

Visit site
My horse aged 25 lives with another of the same age. Their fields were like a desert during the hot weather and they were on ad lib hay. The fields have now recovered and the grazing is reasonable. However they are still scoffing as much hay as we give them. They seem quite happy to stand at the gate finishing their (large) nets and then happily go off to graze. I cannot decide whether they are hungry or taking the easy option. One of them is pretty fat whilst mine who has Cushings is showing his ribs but well rounded everywhere else. .Do I continue with the hay or stop it now and see whether they lose weight? Whatever, I will continue to give mine hard feed as he always struggles to keep condition on.

Kafairia

Visit site
Personally my native X & Shetland aren't getting a whole lot of hay, sometimes not at all. They still wait at the gate for the hay after some hard feed, but they have a field full of grass and don't need it anymore.

My TB has an acre full of lush grass to himself, but he will not let you leave the yard until you give him hay. He starts pushing on the electric fence and neighing if you dare go to the car without him having his hay after his feed. So I just give him a small "token" slice and it keeps him happy. They never used to be this way, but I think they actually prefer the taste of hay to the grass, so no I don't think they're actually hungry.

I'd probably keep giving them some in your position, but definitely not a lot if your grazing is good. :)

Tronk

Visit site
I’m having the same issue- I’m not giving them hay in the field anymore but they’re standing at the gate in the morning demanding to come in for hay! I have a suspicion that they’re not actually hungry anymore but rather preferring the top knotch this summer’s hay that they’re getting when they come in!!

WandaMare

Visit site
I'm not giving mine any now, despite the protests :) One of them was beginning to put on a bit of weight since the weather changed and although the grass is still very short, it has greened up a lot here. Mine stand by the gate looking very upset but as soon as I go in the house they go and start nibbling. I cut mine down gradually over a few days, I want to save the hay for winter in case of a shortage.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for posting this :) Our fields are slowly recovering, theres certainly not a lot of grass but its finally green again and judging how much the grass is growing everywhere else, I can only presume they are eating it as quick as its growing. They are coming in hungry or so I thought, but my mare is leaving her feed in favour of the hay which is beautiful so maybe they are just wanting this years gorgeous hay! :) ,

Shay

Visit site
Ours are very hungry too. It is that time of year. Their instinct is telling them to put on weight for the winter and there just isn't anything to put on weight with. I have increased hay to make them more comfortable.