Are WB’s wimps?

Newtothegeegees

Visit site
I think my horse is a proper wimp. He seems to have a really low pain threshold. He is a great big lump of a horse and it does make me laugh - has anyone else found this with WB’s?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Mine isn't, he's pretty stoic really.. A completely liability to himself and my stuff though, always pulling things over, or getting himself caught etc etc

eggs

Visit site
It really does depend on the horse. One of my WBs has a very, very low pain threshold whereas another of them is the complete opposite.

Roxylola

Visit site
Not a warm blood, but as sensitive as they come. Hes definitely not a tough cob

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223-115547_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-115547_Gallery.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 27

doodle

Visit site
Robin is a complete drama Queen. I used to think he was wimpy but he has actually proved to be too stoical and took a lot for him to finally say he couldn’t cope. He will walk past anything out hacking but that may be with a fair bit of snorting and bananaing. He will jump scarey XC jumps without a second thought but will spook at the blue barrel in the fence line he has to canter past. He is in today, there was a glimpse of sun so went for a quick leg stretch in hand walk. Heading back it started pouring, and we’ll the end of the world was nigh as he was getting wet!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don’t think either of mine are wimps exactly a BWB and a DWB but my oldie has a very fine coat and is sensitive skinned. He seems very affected by deer keds resulting in broncing and carrying on and once went bonkers when a tick walked across his back in the stable. They’re both decent hacks and easy to do.

Birker2020

Visit site
I think my horse is a proper wimp. He seems to have a really low pain threshold. He is a great big lump of a horse and it does make me laugh - has anyone else found this with WB’s?
No mine is very stoic, but although I'm kind to her when I handle her, if she has mud fever or a cut or whatever I don't creep round her going 'ahh there's a good girl, Mummy might hurt you' type of reaction as that can make them worse. Therefore I usually scrub away or blast with a hose and she takes it in her stride and it never seems to worry her ;)

She always seems to recover quickly from injuries too but I put that down to aggressive ice therapy, the use of my friends ultrasound machine, three carrots a day for 17 years and spending a fortune with the vet! :D

She's a drama queen with 'seeing things' though, she used to be a nightmare with certain fillers which she'd put in a dirty stop (which is the reason for a slipped disc) or the colour of oil dropped on the road from a leaky engine, or a shaft of sunlight across the surface of the school. And the staff would tell you, they take her down the same track everyday and have done for the past four years to/from her paddock and some days she's like a snorting dragon, constantly on edge as if something is going to pounce on her, yet the next day she will walk down calm as a cucumber with her eyes barely open.

She is the kindest, gentlest horse you will ever find, no malice in a single bone in her body and very loved by most people on the yard. You can put her feed on the floor when she's tied outside her stable and she will wait while you take the clip of the lead rope onto the side of the headcollar to enable her to reach down, or she will stop playing with her snackball whilst you tell her to 'wait' whilst you keep her head up to do up her breast strap on her rug.

She goes up to the horse walker with her ears forward to say hello and they all snap back at her, but still her ears are forward watching them. She watches them go round and it's like she is fixated on watching them, when they come round again to where she is standing outside she stretches out her neck (again ears forward, mouth soft and relaxed). And she is happy to go towards a stable door, poke her head over, again with the same expression of joy on her face only to be rebuffed with a squeal and a foot stamp, its a shame as she just wants to make friends, but there aren't many horses that go along with her wishes.

Sorry got a bit carried away there..... love the bones of her.

Last edited:

Doublethyme

Visit site
My Hanoverian has the lowest pain threshold ever, to the point on more (many more....) than one occasion vets have thought she has done something mega drastic to find out at great expense that err actually nope, it just is sore/minor :rolleyes: My old WB mare was extremely stoical, as is the WB gelding we have.

Birker2020

Visit site
I don’t think either of mine are wimps exactly a BWB and a DWB but my oldie has a very fine coat and is sensitive skinned. He seems very affected by deer keds resulting in broncing and carrying on and once went bonkers when a tick walked across his back in the stable. They’re both decent hacks and easy to do.
Mine seems to have the uncanny ability to not only see something the size of a tick but the flea on the ticks back and will snort at it too! :)

atropa

Visit site
My Belgian Warmblood is unfortunately very prone to illness and injury, but in no way could you ever call her a wimp.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Depends on the day... he took a massive great chunk out of the back of his knee last summer and remained sound pretty much the entire healing process (4 months). It was really really gory and involved me scrubbing it daily - all of which he stood like an angel for. He was only lame when he got lymphangitis in the leg.

However in October he got an abscess and his leg swelled from fetlock to knee and he held it up like it was broken...

Hates being over fussed and over rugged though - so quite tough in that respect.