Are we in MW's now?

shoo

Visit site
Nope! my three are naked and will be all winter, what a mean mummy I am :)
my TB hasn't been rugged in six years, she had a bad clipping experince with her previous owner so I keep her fluffy. The two boys are both natives so they don't care either :)

rcm_73

Visit site
Nooo it's been far too warm during the day here so my four (2 TB's & 2 Welsh B's) are in lightweights at night and naked during the day when it's warm. They will be clipped soon and I need something to clip off! One of the Welshies is the only one that has grown anything resembling a winter coat yet so am leaving the MW rugs for when they are clipped as will get a LOT colder yet so need those HW rugs when and only when it does actually get properly cold!!

Billsmam

Visit site
my yearling is in a MW (200g) and living out and my cob is naked and will be the entire winter. i did plan on keeping the yearling naked but he was cold so had to rug him, he doesnt seem to keep warm very well...hopefully he will grow out it as he gets older as i hate rugging.

moses06

Visit site
No! still way too warm here 17 - 20 degrees in the day and about 13/14 degrees at night - far too warm to rug hairy natives!! They only get rugs if it rains anyway!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
NO. mine are fully clipped. fit and working, but still out 24/7, wearing rainsheets. they are often too warm in the day and have to go naked for a few hours.

Jericho

Visit site
nope, not clipped and out 24/7 more or less. Its warm here - not dropping below 10c at night and was up to 20c and warmer when in the sun. My horses would be sweating if I had rugs on them. Amazingly there are some round here with them on and with full necks - feel rather sorry for them, even if they are fully clipped they must have been so hot!

3DE

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 and nakey and I live here...

maps

But they are native and unclipped - mind you they are currently shedding as they have decided the week of sun we have had is too warm!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
we are now back in MW after poor horse been very confused had about 1 week in MW then it went hot so into LW and on sunday was naked:O much ot his shock probably be moulting soon!! He in at night in MW has been for about 5weeks x

digitalangel

Visit site
QR

lordy i hope not!! elderly pony is still out at night with rainsheet. Wussy WB is in 100g at night and naked or rainsheet. Less wussy WB is out naked and a sheet at night.
clipping this week cant wait! lol

Ted's mum

Visit site
nope Suzy out all time with her flysheet on still (unclipped)...not time for rugs yet....they wont feel the benefit of them when the cold really does hit..

KatB

Visit site
Mines out with a LWT under rug and a MW half neck, with a very lightweight full neck over the top (only because she has shredded her MW!)... she is 100% clipped out though, and very wimpy!!

Louby

Visit site
My boy came in sweating today, he had a lw on. Its so hard when you are at work knowing what to do. Hes going out naked tomorrow though. Friends horse is unclipped, has full neck mw on and is fine!

pottamus

Visit site
No my lad is still naked during the day and in at night naked. I worry about him when I feel the cold hit me during the day at work but every morning and night that I check him he is perfectly warm in every way. Whilst it stays low wind and dry I aim to leave him naked so that he grows a good coat. I am unable to ride him in the week now with the dark mornings and night so am hoping he will maintain his weight naturally by me not rugging yet.

Lexie81

Visit site
mine comes in at night now and has been naked during the day over the last few days as it has been so warm, and a fleece at night in her stable. Daughters section A hairy monster has had his lightweight on at night as he is an old boy.

kezimac

Visit site
well its seems i in minority but hell yes - last night in 200g full neck but she is 7/8th tb and lives out and has NO coat no fluff, nothing to clip and to be honest no excess weight i can afford to lose so i figure if i paying big feed bill and schooling her well i am not going to let her loose weight or let her back muscles go cold and tight bracing against the weather when i spendd so much time suppling them up

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Naked and un-clipped, feathers and the like kept tidy,...but I don't clip. If a horse gets sweaty then they will be dried off before out in the cold again, but I believe in keeping my life simple as I work F/T and have a family etc. etc....just easier for us! IF it gets REALLY cold though, ya know....really heavy frosts and snow, then I'll bung a few rugs on.....:D This goes for the Anglo too! They all get plenty of hay and hard feed of course.

sammiea

Visit site
My girly is fully clipped and in a LW (no fill) during the day & a fleece at night. Will re clip at the end of the month (weekend the clocks change) and then if temps as they are now or lower the MW will come out.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Farra is out with no rug but she is not clipped and very hairy. Stinky was full clipped last week and has a 100g rug on at night and a no fill during the day, though for the past four days has been without any rug during the day as it has been so warm. Both are living out for another few weeks. Even full clipped, Stinky is getting very sweaty when worked but at least I can quickly sponge him down and have him dry now that the hair has gone.

MW - 250s are for when it goes below 6 and they are full clipped for my two or they get too hot.

guido16

Visit site
Good god, unreal how molly coddled some horses are!

What are people going to do when it gets really cold!!
**not directed at anyone in particular, just thinking in print**

Mine are all out, no rugs, cosy shelter.
One has a trace clip.
TBs and TBx `s

posie_honey

Visit site
unclipped - thin coat - 200gm during day - 300gm over night - lives out 24/7 :)
its dipping to freezing over night here now

oh and when it gets really cold she'll have 450gm full neck plus a 200gm full neck under duvet on

Last edited:

LizzyandToddy

Visit site
My semi-naked horse went into his 200g yestoday :) Although he doesn't winter amazingly well, hunting fit, and it's so hard to keep the weight on him!
He is also in quite an exposed field :)