Are we on track for 16.3hh?

diamondgeezer

Visit site
Hello, Just wanted peoples opinions.

I have a 2yrs 8 mth gelding. He is 3/4 Irish Draught and is currently standing at 16.hh as i no IDs can grow till 7-8yrs i was wondering what size people think he may make.

When I bought him as a foal i was told by people on yard that he will probably only make 15.2hh. As i'm 5'9" this worried me a little then i have also been told that he could make about 17hh.

Am hoping for atleast 16.2hh but bigger would be better. I'm quite sure he'll grow more than 2" but as he's the first youngster i have owned wondered what more experienced people thought.

Thanx for your time. x

miss_bird

Visit site
I would say he will make there or a bit bigger, i brought a 3yr old 15'2" coloured stallion, 3/4 ID but underweight, and was told he wont grow now, ha ha now he is rising 6yr old and has just had another little groth spurt and is 16'3".
Also have a lovely 6yr old that i bred and has forgot to stop growing, still having little spurs and is about 17'3" at the mo.

jaijai

Visit site
Our anglo arab gelding was 16h when we bought him at 7 1/2. He will be 9 in April and we noticed he seemed to have had a growth spurt a couple of months ago and he is now16.3h and a little 'bum high' at the moment although he is evening out a bit. I suppose there are always those that fall outside of the 'norm'. Hopefully yours will make that 16.3 or more.
PS - his age is definitely right as we have all of his registration/ breeding history from the stud etc.

Last edited:

Spins

Visit site
I would say he will make there or a bit bigger, i brought a 3yr old 15'2" coloured stallion, 3/4 ID but underweight, and was told he wont grow now, ha ha now he is rising 6yr old and has just had another little groth spurt and is 16'3".
Also have a lovely 6yr old that i bred and has forgot to stop growing, still having little spurs and is about 17'3" at the mo.

i also have a friend who got a 3yr old 15.2 to bring on and do the sji age classes, she is 5ft 2 at a push now a year and a half later horse stands 16.3 and still only 4! so i doubt you've anything to worry about specially because IDs take longer to mature :)

diamondgeezer

Visit site
Thats brill, gives me more confidence he'll make height!!

JaiJai, thats amazing! bet you weren't expecting that when you bought a 7 yr old! he he he, gotta love em!!