Are Willow Trees Poisonous????

Abandluc

Visit site
My old mare was yesterday, put in a field with a fallen willow tree. The tree fell about 3 weeks ago and it is completely dried up and dead. But her and the other horses have been eating the dried leaves and the stripping the bark.

Does anyone know if this is poisonous?? dead or alive???

Thank you

lochpearl

Visit site
No they are fine, as CAHILL said willows have like a natural asprin in however I wouldn't be too happy if mine were eating if all day everyday!! I would then start to get a bit paranoid!!

morgan4eva

Visit site
Mine absolutely love them - someone also told me that not only do they contain an aspirin type thing but also are a calmer. Mine will snatch a mouthful while i'm schooling given the chance as I have willow trees around the sand school. They obviously feel they need it with me schooling them lol!

D

Donkeymad

They love Willows and they are absolutely fine. As said, they can have an aspirin effect
smile.gif

Abandluc

Visit site
Thank you to everyone for reply. It's much appreciated, let's hope it gives the old girl some relief from her stiffness!!!

Tia

Visit site
Hmm I don't know about that as aspirin is a synthetic drug. Willow has salicylic acid which is similar but not the same as aspirin.

Willow has been known to be safe for animals for years. Many farms used to have willows growing around/in fields where the water course runs. Animals have eaten willow for centuries and gain value from willow. These days though, most people tend to medicate their horses with powders and suchlike; shame really when there are so many natural remedies out there.

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse loves eating a bit of Willow on a hack.

He also likes, thistle seeds, rose hips, hawthorn flowers leaves and fruit, dandylions, bay willow herb and cleavers.

I agree with Tia, a little of what you fancy does you good.