i have 3 mares.
all chestnut!
grin.gif
grin.gif

(and a bay colt, the girls love him!)

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Geldings!

For some reason, all the horses I have ever really got on with have been geldings. I wouldn't not buy a horse due to sex, but I ended up with a gorgeous gelding and am secretly rather pleased
wink.gif

Isabelle

sare_bear

Visit site
I have 2 mares and 1 gelding. These are the last mares, definately geldings all the way! Both mares are very quirky and have regular tantrums (far too clever for their own good), whereas my gelding is so easy going and much more rewarding.

Anyone want one of my mares??!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Mares definately, I think it takes longer to bond with them but will try their hearts out for you once you have them on your side!
Geldings seem to take the pee out of me!

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I have one of each, my lil boy is really affectionate and cuddly, whereas the girly is more aloof and has attitude, but very loyal to me..
Love them both for different reasons.

Third_Time_Lucky

Visit site
I've had three geldings and until a year ago would never have thought of having a mare but following my second boy having to be PTS I had a friend's mare on a loan for a year. This mare totally changed my mind, she is a sweetheart, extremely forward going, very willing but not argumentative like my first two boys.

I've now got a new boy and so far he's proved to be a lovely willing lad but when I was in the process of searching for a new horse I looked at both sexes with no particular preference.

palomino698

Visit site
I've had slightly more geldings than mares over the years, though almost equal numbers, and all my brilliant best beloveds have been boys. The mares have been either short on personality (sweet but dull) or loony, unpredictable and maddening. Some of the geldings fell into those categories, but mostly they've just had nicer attitudes, been more pleasure to ride and more polite to handle. I'll happily look at either when going for the next one, I'm not anti-mares but have never had a "WOW, I LOVE IT" experience with one.

D

Donkeymad

Mares - every time. Currently got 5 mares and one gelding, much prefer the girls
grin.gif

ickelshadow

Visit site
mares. 100% every SINGLE time. we just click. there have been very very few mares that i can't get a tune out of or handle without and issue, but geldings are too boulshy for me. i like sensitive mares

funny though, because i get on far better with men than women!

Chunkie

Visit site
I am on my second mare after having three geldings, and will definitely NOT have another mare!

I bought the first mare (a chestNUT) because I felt sorry for her, and the current one only because I'd known/ridden her for 3 years before she came up for sale.

Mind you, both mares are Welsh cobs, while not a trace of Welsh in any of the geldings........
tongue.gif

annret

Visit site
Give me a ratbag mare with attitude who'll never do what you want of her when you want to impress someone BUT will try her heart out for you when you really need her to.

They're just clever and infuriating but bond soooo closely. Love them.

Britestar

Visit site
Mares are my preferance, even tho I compete the most wonderful gelding!

Have no opinion on colts yet, cos he's still being a baby at the mo
smile.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Geldings, mainly because we started our herd with a gelding that couldn't be turned out with a mare, and have just carried on getting geldings ever since!
smile.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
Geldings. We used to have a horse who hated mares - would try attack them if you met one out on a hack, he was fine with geldings though. We then had a very dominant, riggy cob and a 'herd' of 7 at one time so to have had a mare would have just caused problems.

We have had a riggy pony for the last 15 years too and he gets more aggressive/dominant if a mare is in the vicinity so, because of this we stick to geldings! Think would/could be different if i was on a livery yard as it wouldn't matter but when it's your own land, having all the same sex makes life easier.

hati

community.webshots.com
My preference would be mares, though have had geldings in the past and got on well with them. As Conrad Schumaker said at traning session: A stallion will give you 5 minutes concentration, a geling 30 mins and a mare a lifetime if you get her on side. This is oh so true! Mare need time and patience but the rewards in the long term (I feel) are worth it.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I have 2 mares and a gelding. My gelding is wonderful, you tell him to do it and he will, no question. Both my mares on the other hand, have that initial stroppy phase, they can be hard to win over, but once theyre on your side, theyre there for life and will bend over backwards to help you. I dont think ive ever truely got on well with a gelding, Eddie, i love him to bits and if i had all the money in the world he wouldnt be up for sale but he is as he wants to be worked and i just dont have the time
frown.gif

Ive ridden so many geldings and mares but always seem to edge towards the mares, even at the riding schools when there would be so many top geldings, id rather be on the mares and thinking back it is so true!

So ... i picked mares!