Are you all still managing to ride/

jenbleep

Visit site
In this cold weather?

I took Charisma round the block and back again yesterday after I had walked it on foot first :) It was such a nice day and thought it would be a shame to waste it.

Well I think all this extra haylage has made her a bit loopy ;) and I tried to dodge the small ice puddles by going on the grass verges but found it difficult when madam had other ideas.

We had a good ride and she felt very bouncy :) but I don't think the stress of worrying about the ice is worth it!

Have you managed to keep riding with this ice?

Nocturnal

Visit site
Nope :(. This weather is a nightmare when you're trying to bring something back into work! Plus it seems that I spend so long thawing things out that I don't even have time to ride, even if I could find an ice-free spot to ride on...

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Wellllll ...... I went for a quick (forty mins-worth) trot round the block yesterday; Himself hadn't been ridden for four days so for the first 10 mins (past a load of pigs, oh joy!) it was a bit like riding something setting off for the Grand National, but we did settle down after having had a good old fashioned trot up the hill - and doing a wonderful half-pass & piaffe past the piggies (where the hell are the dressage judges when you need them???!!!).

Some of the roads were gritted coz the local highways depot is on the route so that was OK, but on the minor roads it was a bit patchy, but nothing much to worry about. But there are routes around here where water does drain onto the road so will avoid there.

I don't have a sandschool so have to hack out on the roads unfortunately.

ThePony

Visit site
It is so cold here that we have no ice - no snow either so we have been having hacks on the roads around here. V quiet so no probs. No turnout though as the fields are rather rutted and hard as iron, I worry too much about an accident if I turn out on fields like that. Although they are in until it thaws, the are ridden every morning for over an hour good forwards walk, then led out in hand at evening stables. I would rather they were out but I just daren't risk it.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I'm going to give it a shot later. I long reined her the other day and the roads were fine - no ice, just frost. The school is frozzed, so it's roads or nothing. Might walk her in hand instead and then I can check exactly what's happening on the road. She's a sensible type though - no piaffing or half passes, cos that would potentially burn additional calories, which would be a travesty!!

Caz89

Visit site
I went for a nice ride Friday on the forest. I think sometimes we just need to remember that they know their feet much better than what we do but obviously try and avoid ice etc

ThePony

Visit site
No wetness as it got suddenly cold, no defrosting, no snow so nothing to slip on. There is a heavy frost on the grass but the roads are bizarley frost free!

Piccy

Visit site
Got the ok from the vet on Saturday to start riding again and cannot due to weather boo hiss everything was frozen and has stayed so, and now we have the start of snow so i guess we will wait a few more days, have not ridden him since middle of September just think best to wait to its not so frozen and slippy

jenbleep

Visit site
No wetness as it got suddenly cold, no defrosting, no snow so nothing to slip on. There is a heavy frost on the grass but the roads are bizarley frost free!

See I'd be happy with that! I don't mind it being cold I just hate it when it disrupts anything!

I'm cross because all I have are the roads and some fields and can only ride early am Mon-Fri - before any ice has had a chance to melt. Agh so frustrating!

ameeyal

Visit site
No bad weather keeps me from riding, im out for 2 hours most days {i work part time so can, and if im paying good money to have my horses shod im getting my moneys worth}

badgerdog

Visit site
I haven't ridden since last monday. We have a foot of snow here and I can't see it ending soon. It's probably going to be weeks before I get to ride again. At least my horse lives out so he can stretch his legs. I'm keeping fit by trudging through snow, thawing out water troughs and putting hay in fields. It took me three hours this morning!

jenbleep

Visit site
I'm keeping fit by trudging through snow, thawing out water troughs and putting hay in fields. It took me three hours this morning!

Me too! Before the ice I was trudging through ankle deep mud which felt good for the thighs :) Now I'm just trying to balance on the solid mud! Plus water buckets, haynets....killing me, I'm knackered!

Visit site
I am lucky enough to have my horses at a yard with an Indoor school so I can still ride. :) We had 3-4 inches of snow here on Saturday though and the roads were really bad all weekend but they are a bit clearer today. Don't think I will attempt hacking for another few days (providing we don't get anymore snow!) though until it has thawed out a bit more.

bonnie93

Visit site
Got the ok from the vet on Saturday to start riding again and cannot due to weather boo hiss everything was frozen and has stayed so, and now we have the start of snow so i guess we will wait a few more days, have not ridden him since middle of September just think best to wait to its not so frozen and slippy

me too, mines bin on boxrest since beginning of oct, but was told by the vet on thurs that i could start to hack her out (but still keep her on boxrest :eek: ) she had her shoes back on yesterday and we went for walk up the road this mornin, very glad it was in hand caus shes pranced and snorted and bronced everytime a car came past :eek: this from my 'bombproof in traffic' mare :D far to much excitment for me, especially wen she kept pushing me into the snow covered verges!!!!

asterid

Visit site
Yes, I am very lucky as have an indoor school. Been back in the saddle for two weeks now post my op so having an indoor school is fab for working my four year old.

The outdoor is frozen today :( But I am soooooooo grateful for an indoor school!

ihatework

Visit site
Got it pretty lucky here, haven't had any snow and although it is bitterly cold and all the bridleways are frozen and rutted (so can't use them) the roads aren't actually icy! So have the option of roadwork thankfully

NELSON11

Visit site
No, my 4yo who is away at Boarding school hasn't been worked the last few days. The outdoor arena has frozen, the lanes are full of ice that hasn't melted and the horsebox to transport them to solihull Riding Club to use the indoor school has died overnight in the cold.

So they have a yard of 15 competition horses including 3 stallions confined to barracks until the lorry gets going. Thank god for nice big roomy walker.

almrc

Visit site
Nope, we have snow and ice everywhere and it snowed again today! It was just clearing up as well, even the ice outside the gate, then it snowed again! DOH