Are you and your horse well suited?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No. The hairy one is high maintenance and if he put the same energy into work as he does into eating, he'd be great.
The Diva is unlikely to return to competition and is fantastically deluded about her employee terms and conditions. (No looking beautiful isn't good enough.)

However, as much as I yearn for the rare creature that is fully functional and great to ride, I'm stuck with my two. I absolutely love them dearly and they teach me so much, even if it isn't what I think I want to learn.

DMancini

Visit site
Have read/followed this post with interest.....

What do people do if they find themselves in a dilemma about said horse

I have an older (22yrs) horse who has been just perfect for me owned her since she was 10 and yes we are well suited, then I brought a youngster 3 years ago (now coming up to 6yrs) whom I adore and is just the sweetest thing how ever he has a few quirks when ridden and I have totally lost my confidence. Now feel I am not the right person to take him any further. I am having lessons and going on training camps with him sent him away for schooling but nothing seems to improve my nerves and I now make excuses not to ride him, hes too good to stand in a field wasted.

Although it breaks my heart to think about parting with him, I wonder if there is someone out there who he might be better off with :(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Have read/followed this post with interest.....

What do people do if they find themselves in a dilemma about said horse

I have an older (22yrs) horse who has been just perfect for me owned her since she was 10 and yes we are well suited, then I brought a youngster 3 years ago (now coming up to 6yrs) whom I adore and is just the sweetest thing how ever he has a few quirks when ridden and I have totally lost my confidence. Now feel I am not the right person to take him any further. I am having lessons and going on training camps with him sent him away for schooling but nothing seems to improve my nerves and I now make excuses not to ride him, hes too good to stand in a field wasted.

Although it breaks my heart to think about parting with him, I wonder if there is someone out there who he might be better off with :(

There is NOTHING wrong with admitting that your horse may not be the right one for you. This is for fun, this is your hobby. He may well be better with someone else, you sound like you'd be much happier on something that will give you confidence. Its not as though you've not tried various routes to work things out, don't beat yourself up.x

Silmarillion

Visit site
Yes, I think so. I can only ride a couple of times a week, and therefore need something relatively low maintenance and easy to just hack about. My horse needed a semi retirement home and that's exactly what he got. Personality wise, on paper we're best kept apart (I'm a wuss and he is a cheeky little monkey who has perfected his passage, squeal, buck routine!) but in reality I find him fab fun to ride and I laugh when he's naughty! He was the first horse I've hesitated when asked the "do you want him" question but I wouldn't be without him now, even though he's only been with me for four months. I enjoy going to see him and he always comes to see me!

googol

Visit site
Yep 100%. Both laid back, sensible, bit moody, like trying new things. If he was a human he would be very smart so that's where we differ. I even think we would be the same shape if he was human! (He's chunky and stocky lol)

Flame_

Visit site
Yes, he seems happy and I enjoy him very much. My horse would suit many people though, he's a genuine, safe horse with a sweet personality. He just wouldn't like anyone neurotic or nervous, he wouldn't be bold or self-confident enough to cope with that.

pennyturner

Visit site
Not really. They're all too short, having been bought to suit a growing family, rather than me. We've also got them so heavily 'bombproofed' that I find them too quiet. Don't get me wrong, I can't complain, as they do what I ask, when I ask, and couldn't be easier to work with - I just yearn for a bit more flash sometimes.

This is 3 stallions waiting for a ride, to give an idea what I mean. Soooo chilled out.
attachment.php

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine is retired now, but she's always been perfect for me! Had her for 12 1/2 years now, she's fab. She can be a bit wild, but she's safe as anything. Very much the sort of horse you can have fun on. I always know how she's going to react to things, so I'm never scared or worried!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I reckon we are. We're both short and a bit too fat, with out of control thick ginger hair rapidly gaining white streaks. Neither of us like to put in more effort than strictly necessary but are pretty unflappable, though when pushed can produce surprisingly good work. We also like to wander around the countryside for hours on end especially if there's the promise of a good meal at the end of the day.

Visit site
I think we are yes. I have a 15hh part-bred Appaloosa and have owned him for nine years this summer. At nearly 15, he is still as quirky as ever, has a high buck in him at times and never fails to make me smile We have enjoyed many hours of hacking together, and had a go at just about everything over the years. He's my horse of a lifetime and truly one in a million :)

Popos

Visit site
Hmm, this is a difficult one. To be honest, not really, not on the face of it anyway.

He is frigging enormous, I am a petite size 6. On the ground we look ridiculous! Somehow I manage to make it look ok when on!

I'm a nervous hacker. He's a nervous hacker. You can imagine what that's like.

I love schooling. He's not 100% sound.

I love jumping. He's not 100% sound.

BUT I love him! He is a gentle giant and has increased my confidence no end. I feel I can handle horses without fear anymore, he is so big that most other horses seem small to me and I no longer get intimidated. He's pretty strong and this is something I'm still getting to grips with, but I wouldn't give him up for the world.

maxapple

Visit site
Not really - I'm in my early 40's. Really want a safe horse 15hh ir so horse to hack and do a bit of dressage and jumping with and sponsored rides ( I have te perfect horse but he's retired now)

I've ended up with a 14hh pony (Arab cross) who is loopy. Can't jump anymore as he was thrashed around by his previous owner, pretty good at dressage some days but is really hard work and spooky. Fun to hack if you like never being able to relax incase he spooks and spins when he sees something scary like a tree branch! Really he's a teenagers pony but I've tried two loans for him and teens mainly love to jump or do events and he's too hard work - so we are stuck together. I sort of rescued him so i owe it to him to give him a happy life.

glinda

Visit site
He has been hard work since I have owned him…. he either has his own opinion on things and is really stubborn about it, sticking his head in the air and refusing to bring it down, is bombing off at 100 miles an hour or is so lazy he hardly moves!

BUT he is my perfect pony and we fit together so well….. its taken a lot of hard work and patience (had him since he was 4 now 12) and he is now everything I could hope for in a pony….. fun, great manners, safe to take out in the lorry on my own, pretty good to hack out alone but great in company, good at dressage, big scopey jump (much better at jumping than me!) and he makes me laugh every day…..

what a shame he has injured his leg and i can probably never ride him again :-(

My other 5 are all rescued (I run a small rescue charity) but each is perfect for me in their own way….. One in particular iv'e had since she was 2 (now 20) and she has been a MASSIVE challenge over the years and still is every day but I totally adore her in every way….. the kindest sweetest nature possible….. she doesn't mean to turn into a nutter LOL

Montyforever

Visit site
100% yes, she is exactly the same as me personality wise its scary!
I trust her 100%, can read her like a book and know what she's thinking straight away. She never answers a question with no, tries her heart out and funnily enough only likes the people i do, so trust her judgment there too. She's definitely "my" girl, i see the side nobody else does :)

WandaMare

Visit site
No not really. My mare is the type who can get quite bossy and opinionated if left to her own devices. She could do with someone who is naturally a bit firmer than me to constantly keep her in check. I am a bit of a softy so have to try hard to remember not to let her get away with the little things which can turn into big things quickly if not picked up. My instructor told me this awhile back in no uncertain terms for which she later apologised, but I appreciated the honesty because she was right. I do love my mare though, she can be very sweet at times.