Are you feeding electrolytes at the minute?

zoelouisem

Visit site
Went to get some feed today for daughters pony, as her works up and summer hols so always up her feed a bit as lots of shows and more riding.
She's pretty fit anyway ridden 6x week competes most weekends a d often at pc rallies in the week.
Now today the feed lady said she should really be on electrolytes if she's doing that much.
She does get sweaty most days not excessively but sweaty enough, she doesn't usually sweat while traveling but usually does out showjumping again not excessively but enough.
Should I be feeding them, I never have before or needed to but maybe at the moment with this weather I should.
If so how oftern much should I be doing it?
And what make does it make much difference??

By the way she looks well very happy shiney coated and getting lots of hay as has a dust patch as a paddock do getting hay out there aswell as when stabled.
Thanks

Squiggles on Paper

Visit site
Mines been given a scoop of them in his evening feed if he's been ridden that day as he will have sweated (in this heat - if he hasn't then he doesn't get them). Just remember to add some water so the powder (if you use it) is mixed in with it :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thanks she advised to feed daily as a supplement but I know if fed to much it isn't good for them either so wasn't sure will do a bit of Internet digging now.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Electrolytes can cause imbalances if fed when they are not needed, and most horses are really not doing enough work/sweating enough to need them. You'll have to be the judge of that, but they are really only required if the horse is sweating very heavily or for a long time (think the Grand National/50km endurance race/white foam/extreme conditions). I have fed them, when I lived in the US in extreme heat and humidity and had competition horses, but most certainly would not now.

MissTyc

Visit site
I was always taught (many years ago so probably totally outdated by now!) that you feed electrolytes *after* the effort, to help the horse recover elements that have been sweated out. Never before the effort as there is no benefit to it and potentially the elements can build up in kidneys or something or other. Plain salt, however should be available to the horse at all times, esp if they are on pasture that contains plants that might hinder the correct intake of salt (I have clover in mind but could be wrong). Also, horses need a lot more salt than I think they do. Mine have their licks in a bucket and get a scoop of water thrown over it in the morning so they have salt-water which they absolutely love (in fact, they frequently make their own using the trough) ...

Am happy to be corrected lol !

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thanks she looks well enough tbh and although she does sweat never to the extreme of foam.
I was a little wary when she said to feed daily because its not something I've ever done before.
She's on a good general supplement and competition mix plus safe and sound as her chaff. Plus pretty much ad lib hay.
And although she's fit it's showjumping fit not racing fit, so maybe there not needed to be fed on a permanent basis.
Thanks all. :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I just feed salt when its hot and humid or after the endless months of heavy rain last year. They also have access to a plain salt lick.

becca1305

Visit site
On the advice of my trainer anything I have thats being worked and competed through summer get electrolytes to help replace what they lose sweating. She puts salt in the feed of the rest of hers in light work that aren't competing.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Louie is probably in similar amount of work to yours and doesn't sweat excessively. I just make sure he has access to a salt lick at all times then if he needs it he'll have it but if not he won't unbalance his system or whatever. He seems quite happy though and does love his slat lick. :)

happy_talk

Visit site
Yes... But as salt. I have double her daily intake of salt. After a few years ago and warm weather a few horses became stiff. Fed salt and they were fine.
Don't forget they will be sweating in the field in warm weather but any breeze will keep them "dry" so you may not notice it.
I have put a salt block in her stable but I have never known her to use it.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Nope - I don't think they are needed at the moment. He gets sweaty, but because it is 30'c. If it was 20'c I don't think he'd be as wet. It isn't foam and there isn't any between his back legs either and that, for me, is the point at which I will feed them.
This is him yesterday after a 45min 4 mile hack and it was 27.7'c according to the thermometer, and is pretty much what we do every day at the moment:
8AB09989-orig_zps90c5db7f.jpg

However I know there are people on the yard that feed electrolytes when their horse's saddle patch is as damp as Nugz's neck.
I would've said that providing your horse is getting a decent vit/mineral supplement/balancer then electrolytes for the everyday horse is not needed.

star

Visit site
Salt is not added to compound feed as it attracts water and makes them go off quicker so any horse in work should have an additional supply of salt - either added to feed or free access to a lick. If sweating hard then I would use electrolytes but I only tend to give them after eventing when it's seriously hot like it has been recently. Rest of the year just a bit of salt in his feed.

jackson555

Visit site
I would say no don't give them to her. Electrolytes have a lot of salts in them they are given to horses that compete in the Olympic and are doing that much work I don't think your pony will need them there are better things to give her then them get her a salt lick or something :) that's just my opinion. If you do decide to use them I would suggest giving them after she's done the work not befor if you do it before she will have a lot of salts in her system if you do it after she would have lost a lot so the electrolytes will replace them. Another thing to keep in mind electrolytes will make her more hyper and energetic :)

Supanova

Visit site
I hav recently been consulting with Dr Eleanor Kellon regarding my mare's diet (she has a muscle issue). Dr Kellon is a very well respected equine vet and nutritionist from the US. She says that all horses should get salt in their feed at all times as they are easily dehydrated. I would therefore say its absolutely essential in this hot weather to feed salt or electrolytes (i don't think salt licks are good enough) .

rowy

Visit site
Mine are sweating loads! I give Rowan a scoop of table salt when he has worked up a sweat (which is most days in this weather) and inka, my 4 year old, sweats all the time in this heat! Even just stood in her stable. However I don't feed her so I have just bought a salt block for her that she always goes straight to when I get her in out the field.