Are you or have you ever been a BHS member? Why – or why not?

Always_A_Moody_Mare

Visit site
I was a gold member for 3/4 years because I was sharing someone's horse and wanted the insurance. Not quite sure why I let it go, I was busy and also didn't have a job so didn't go back to it. Now i have a job but im off to uni in September so it seemed slightly pointless for 3 months however im thinking it might be a good idea 'just in case' . I will definitely rejoin if i don't end up going to uni as i also liked the magazine and the legal helpline (not that I have used it).

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
I joined to take exams but never carried my membership on. Tbh, I don't feel there's anything extra the membership will offer me that I can't find on the website. I've heard good things about the legal advice, and would concider re joining for that but I can't really think of anything you already do/ could do in the future that would benefit me personally, but if I think of anything ill let you know :)

Ditto this. For me it was expensive. I don't teach. I have the PLI through my horse policy & BD memebership. it was another expense I felt I could live without as I did not feel i gained any benefit from it.

D66

Visit site
I haven't joined although I was a Pony Club member as a teenager.

TBH I get pretty peed off by the British system where you have to belong to a different club for every different equestrian discipline and have your horse registered in various places too. I have a coloured mare - so thats passport with Chaps, overstamped BSPA, poss sportshorse as well for showing. I drive - so thats British carriage driving and Midlands driving trials Group, oh and I need to learn to drive on the roads so thats British Driving Society, and the Indoor Driving if I want to take it through the winter. God forbid that I would want to showjump or event. All the subs come up for renewal in January.
I get insurance through membership of British carriage driving which duplicates our Pl on the household insurance.
How nice it would be if I had 1 form come through the door from the BHS with some boxes to tick for the disciplines I'd like to compete in for the year and one payment and one horse registration.
This allied to a single horse register that recorded ownership would guarantee me joining.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I'm a gold member, purely for the insurance, if the insurance went or liabilty reduced significantly I would by insurance directly instead. I enjoy the mag, but have found that my local newsletter always comes through the door far too late to be of any use at all!

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
Thanks again for your responses and feedback. It’s great to hear benefits such as public liability and personal accident insurance, and the legal helpline available to Gold members, are so valued.

But what about the rest of our work – how would you rate your knowledge of what we do for access, safety, welfare and training? Have you ever been involved with the BHS in your local area?

Dry Rot – we’re sorry you had problems with the legal helpline; it’s by no means not a representative experience but that doesn’t make it any better. We hope we got to hear about it at the time (if we didn’t, please email membership@bhs.org.uk or PM details here and we’ll pass them on). What contact do you get from us now – do you receive the magazine, local newsletter, E-News? Have you seen us at any local shows?

Ailbheg – no time like the present ;) Our site should have all the information you need to get started – but if you do have any questions, we’re on the end of exams@bhs.org.uk or 02476 840508.

mcrobbiena – thanks for your thoughts. We do sometimes have training events using ‘guinea pig’ riders. Are you a member of a local riding club?

Don’t forget that membership offers a multitude of benefits – both for you and for horses around the UK. There’s insurance; legal/VAT/tax advice; our exclusive magazine with expert advice, features and diary dates; member goodies such as competitions, discounts, car stickers and badges; local committees and events in your area, dedicated teams campaigning on your behalf for safety and access (and supplying any info you need on these); world-class training and qualifications for every level of rider and owner; and over 200 welfare officers ready to assist with any concerns you have about a horse or pony.

On a side note, our team have arrived at Badminton today and there’s a real buzz both there and at HQ! We’re at stand 103 – pop down and say hello if you’re going; we’re looking forward to meeting plenty more people in person, too!

limestonelil

Visit site
Yes, I have been a Gold member for info and insurances etc and whilst taking exams too.
let it lapse but was only financial, no other reason.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
gold member for very many years, mainly for isurance and legal helpline, although luckily havent needed either.
also like to support horse welfare.

i feel that the bhs should do much more to publicise how horses can behave when on the road....the general public have no idea that a horse can suddenly leap in front of them for apparantly no reason...we really need something on the tv and the other media sources to make people treat horses with caution on the road.....im sure all of us have had some near misses and one day our luck will run out if drivers arent made aware of the problems ....

zaminda

Visit site
I joined for the insurance and exams. I have tried to use the legal helpline, but left a message, and no one bothered to get back to me. I have started taking my exams, and did email with some feedback, but no one has got back to me.
I do like the access work you do, and the register for dog attacks.
I am not a fan of the 'hit your brakes not a horse' stickers, as talking to some non horsey friends, they don't get good feedback, people find them rude.
It would be nice to see you liase more about dogs with other interested parties.

Foxford

Visit site
Been a member on and off for a few years - on whilst taking exams and off while being a poor student!

I didn't join for the insurance as I have that on my horses policy anyway. Overall, I feel like there has been a lack of connection in the past between the BHS and it's members. It has been percieved that the BHS actually does very little for the average horse owner but equally I would say most average horse owners haven't tried to engage with their society. Also there is the repuation of posh tweedy ladies and sometimes the local committees can feel like "closed shops".

I'm pleased to say it does look like the tide has turned somewhat, but I feel member engagement will be key to the society moving forward. There is quite a way to go, but I hope you get there! :)

Marydoll

Visit site
Im a gold member for insurance.
I also need membership for entry to some comps cheaper.
While i do think much of the training is very good i honestly feel the exams are an expensive farce and called quits after stage 3.
Sat the exams, but got so fed up with the attitudes of some of the examiners and state of some of the training establishments and equipment that was to be used it was laughable ...... Heres me spending a fortune to sit your exams within training centres you approved stating how important it is to get things done correctly then give poor equipment or lame horses to do it with.
Here are just a few examples
Stage 1 fit a rug, i was given a massive horse and a rug that wouldnt have fitted a 14.2, said to examiner " well fit it as best you can" seriously, you can tell i can fit rugs from that ?? This wasnt the only issue that day there were many.

Stage 2 where youre meant to show off your flatwork riding prowess, horse given to ride bronced like billy oh, and was an absolute twonk, doing handstands down the long ends of the school, i had checked tack before mounting so knew it wasnt that, left on to deal with it, which tbh didnt really bother me, but it did others watching who were then terrified theyd be asked to ride it, i spent 20 mins asking this horse to do trot/canter transitions properly thankfully when i finished my 30 mins onboard it was removed as unsuitable, yea thanks because it really helped me show off my riding, especially when when the blurb reads, be able to ride a well schooled horse :eek:
I cant remember which stage 2 or 3 the trot up for lameness was being shown and we were asked would this place be a good place to trot up, erm no, its on a gradient its a loose gravelly path and theres a camber to the side ..... Shot a dirty look by the examner and told well it'll have to do, then given ill fitting tack to put on and loads of "well imagine it fits properly" ???? Im paying hundreds of pounds for this Forget it !!
When i decided to teach i went the ukcc route and have done my level 2 and looking to do my 3 sometime in future as this isnt my main job.
BHS while there is much about you i like, training, welfare etc, theres much needing improved as well

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Gold member for insurance. The regions are too big to be relevant in terms of attending events / social stuff as it can be 2hrs away.

Trustee board seem cliquie and inaccessible to normal riders who don't teach or compete affiliated.

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
BHS official - have PM'd you, hope that's ok :)

Of course! That's absolutely fine. We will get back to you shortly :)

millreef, we understand the difficulties faced in making the most of your membership when you're so far away. We've been working to establish more BHS Approved Establishments and Exam Centres overseas and have had uptake in Hong Kong, so we hope you see some benefits in some way in this respect. It's an important step for us and we're pleased to be able to maintain a presence overseas and promote standards elsewhere.

Foxford, it's great to hear you feel the tide is turning - and we hope this is a more universal feeling. A concern we have is making sure members and non-members alike know exactly what we're doing in all areas - so that we can address the gaps where these exist.

zaminda, you're referring to www.horseaccidents.org.uk - don't forget it allows reporting of much more than dog attacks :) Users can report a wide range of safety incidents where horses, riders or carriage drivers were put at risk. This information is crucial in helping us lobby for change and protect the safety of everyone involved with horses.

You can also find information there on issues such as safety wear and equipment, low flying aircraft, common hazards and how to share space with other road users - including cyclists! There are various downloads available that can also be ordered in print and distributed in your local area to help educate other types of road user on how best to share the space with horses and carriage drivers, too.

This is just one example of how the membership fee helps us offer not only a range of immediate benefits, but how it helps us afford to make life better for horses and enthusiasts in every aspect of life.

Twinkley Lights - do you mind us asking which area you're in? BHS local activity - and how visible this is! - is something we're working hard to promote and develop this year. We try to offer a range of activities including clinics, lectures, demos, safety days, discounted tuition, competitions, visits to places of interest and even fundraising quiz nights!

We do hope those who had negative experiences let us know about them so we can use them to improve. Don't forget we're always on the end of the phone or email, too - see www.bhs.org.uk/contact-us.

Keep the responses coming - we want to hear what we can do for you, member or non-member - and highlight how we're already helping in ways you may not be so aware of.

its_noodles

Visit site
I was a BHS member many many years back. It was mainly for the insurance cover when I rode overseas on holiday. I discontinued the membership a couple of years later but I continued to go on riding holidays.

In recent years, I came across BHS exams in my local stables from time to time. The BHS people there made you feel VERY unwelcome, even though they were the people renting the place for exams. It's kind of made me feel it was my fault to be there in the first place. On one occasion I almost wanted to say to the BHS lady that they should put some armed guards at the door if they don't want people to even look...

Now you heard...

Ella19

Visit site
I joined for public liability with gold membership when I had my old pony who had no insurance. I left when I got my current pony as public liability was cheaper to add to her vet policy than taking out gold again. I never used my bhs discounts as most did not apply and I had most through my riding club membership.

I would like to join to take my exams as I currently teach using my equine experience and degree, however to progress or get a new job it seems most seek bhs exams. I feel the exam structure and content is very out dated however and expensive, as a result I am doing my ukcc instead.

swilliam

Visit site
Gold member - partly for insurance, and the advice I was given when I needed it was brilliant; but also because I think the BHS does lots of good, and should be supported. I won't let anyone ride our horses on a regular basis unless they're a member, and always recommend people to join

Enfys

Visit site
I was a Gold member for many years, purely for the insurance aspect. If there were any discount advantages etc, I never used them - are there?

I am no longer a member as I don't think even BHS tentacles reach to Canada. ;) :)

Bess

Visit site
Daughter and I are Gold Members, both to support th eBHS in some way and for the PL insurance.

That's my (and my daughter's) reasons and also for the Trec activities, although those in Scotland are not near us sadly.

ribbons

Visit site
I have looked and can't find any benefits at all to being a member.
I have PL insurance through my breed society, which I have to be a member of in order to register my young stock.

I agree with a previous poster in that we have to join so many different clubs/societies just to be able to be active with our horses that to join another with nothing valuable to offer us is not likely to happen.
To be honest, the BHS comes across to many people I know as a cobwebby old society with no use other than PL ins if you have no other cover.

The fact that this thread is here suggests you are looking to change that image. I look forward to seeing any changes.
With a name like The British Horse Society, it should be somewhere that every horse owner, from top competitors to one horse happy hackers could benefit from being a member.

I look forward to the BHS becoming much more high profile.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
We do hope those who had negative experiences let us know about them so we can use them to improve. Don't forget we're always on the end of the phone or email, too - see www.bhs.org.uk/contact-us.

I typed out a much longer reply (twice) than the short and sweet one I actually posted, because I got into so much trouble the one time I gave slightly negative but justified feedback after a training day that I haven't dared since :( If you can guarantee anonymity and a safe house I'll talk to you lol!

The thing few people have mentioned is the BHS's role as a welfare organisation - but my experience in this regard hasn't been positive either :( If you promote that aspect, people might think "welfare charity" before they think "cheap insurance" or "exams" :)

oldie48

Visit site
Gold member for 20 years mainly for insurance cover. I read magazine and receive local newsletter but never find anything of use to me as acitivites are too far away. I am very supportive of access and welfare work.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Yes, gold member for insurance. I scan the magazine, but don't visit the website.

Same here. I also joined to get help trying to reinstate a bridleway which had been blocked and downgraded to footpath in an underhand way and my area just wasn't interested, said there was nothing they could or would even try to do.

Rhandir

Visit site
I have been a member for many years, as others have already stated, mainly for he PL insurance. I have used the legal helpline and have to say they were very helpful and gave me some good advice and I have also taken the equine specific first aid course and subsequent refreshers in order to keep my teaching qualification up to date.

I am also aware that the BHS do some very valuable work for rights of way, horse welfare, the reporting of horse related accidents and initiating a link to the MOD in regard to low flying aircraft.

However .... I am part of an increasing number of western riders in the UK who do feel a bit "left out" of the mainstream equestrian scene ... mainly I think as western riding is not looked upon as "proper riding" and is seen as having no place in the hallowed halls of the BHS. The BHS recognise all sorts of instructors aside from AI's .. but not western riding ones.

The BHS say that they represent ALL equestrian disciplines .. I wish they would