Are you rugging your horses that are in overnight?

Tash88

Visit site
That is my question really :eek:. I'm sure we're all in different areas of the country, and own horses with different requirements, but I just wanted to know how many of you are still rugging your horses that are in overnight. I am in Surrey and it is 18C and cloudy at the moment. Horse has a trace clip that is rapidly growing out at the moment, with his beautiful summer coat coming through, so I don't think he's cold.

Tnavas

Visit site
Yes definitely rug - I've always rugged a horse that is in as it can't move around to keep warm. The only time we didn't rug was in the middle of the summer when the nights are hot.

OscarandPenny

Visit site
Conn/tb no, she has a nice warm stable and is fine unrugged.
V poorly tb - yes, he has nothing through the day as it is so warm out at the moment however he has a huge straw bed at night and a big thick stable with fleece underneath! I have his heavy with a neck on standby in case the temperature drops.

IMO it is very much down to each individual horse and of course circumstances

Kikke

Visit site
No neither when in or out! This is the only time in the year they can spend naked before the flysheet go on again. I am sure they are very happy to just be for a few weeks ;)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't use fly sheets, and still think it's a little cool at night for a stabled (clip growing out) horse to be unrugged. However, the minute their out 24/7 and it's dry - rug comes off.

Ella19

Visit site
No I've just left all the livery horses naked, full clip or not and my mare is out naked.

It's 10 degrees tonight in the Surrey hills!

Tnavas

Visit site
Check the temperature in your stable around three in the morning - that will tell you whether your horse needs a rug or not.

In a stable they cannot move around so if they get cold they cannot move around enough to generate heat. Common sense says that if your horse has been clipped and has been rugged all winter then it needs to be rugged at this time of year.

catkin

Visit site
One pony- no, she's quite warm enough without.
The other - yes, she's having one on at late-night check as the nights are still cold here once the sun's gone and the stables are not the warmest. This particular horse always needs more rugging than the other.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That's an interesting point about the 3am thing. A few years ago my horse had a colic episode, and I was advised to keep his rugs off. A 2am check revealed a very cold horse indeed.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
Another no.

My boy is out 24/7 and is fully clipped, but hasnt been in a rug at night for a couple of weeks now, other than a rain sheet when its peed it down.

He is a very hot horse though, I havent even needed to get my heavy weight out for him this winter :)

Tnavas

Visit site
That's an interesting point about the 3am thing. A few years ago my horse had a colic episode, and I was advised to keep his rugs off. A 2am check revealed a very cold horse indeed.

A few hours before sunrise is always the coldest time of the night as the air hasn't been heated for several hours.

It's 5:41am here in NZ and being the insomniac I am I'm on the computer and currently shivering - so think I will fill the hotty and go back to bed, dog is buried inside the quilt somewhere!

Beau jangles

Visit site
Yes middle weight , we are in west of Scotland and spring is just starting to arrive , have been out during last few days naked but not enough grass to keep them out yet which is a nightmare as usually out 24/7 by now :(

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
It's 9 degrees tonight so mine are in naked. They've been naked in the day for over a month and just in fleeces at night. Both are a bit porky so should be fine.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mostly naked daytime and fleece at night.

Will need flyrug soon but I'm trying to hold off as its nice not to have a rug on at all but he is prone to bites and lumps.

Tash88

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I had to go out and bring the horses in so have only just been able to read them! I put his lightweight rug on, think I'll be doing this on the nights that he's in, as another poster said he can't move around so much to keep warm when stabled. On the nights that he's out I'll leave him naked.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
A few hours before sunrise is always the coldest time of the night as the air hasn't been heated for several hours.

It's 5:41am here in NZ and being the insomniac I am I'm on the computer and currently shivering - so think I will fill the hotty and go back to bed, dog is buried inside the quilt somewhere!

Brrr! That's because silly New Zealanders should get central heating installed, everywhere I stayed there was freeeeezing, apart from the English owned b&b which had central heating :)

Mine is wearing a cotton sheet tonight, last night was predicted 2degrees so he had his mw stable rug on. He is on box rest so trying to look after him, but he should moving a little with the amount of hidden treats in his stable - hand drilled carrots hanging on a string being a favourite

shannonandtay

Visit site
its too warm in london tonight for a rug for a warm pony whose clip grew out ages ago, if the temperature falls lower he gets a fleece but trying not to put heavier rugs back on again unless the temperature goes back to freezing again.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
yes my oldie, the TB and the clipped to the skin coblet are all rugged if in at night. TB is rugged all the time as he shivers and we are trying to get weight back on him. Coblet is clipped out all the time so wear a rug on all but the warmest of day but always at night. Oldie is rugless during the day if dry then rugged at night if in or out.

Horses I believe need to be rugged in the stable at night until temps arent getting this low due to the fact they cant move around to keep warm :)