Are you still turning out at night bringing & bringing in the morning

Tamara

Visit site
Just wondered how many people are still turning horses/ponies out at night and bringing them in during the day. We have one in at night and he was changed over end of Aug as the weather was cooler. The others are still out 24/7 but they are not clipped yet. Just wondered how normal it was to turn a clipped horse out at night at this time of year and bring it in during the day. What is the logic to it, bearing in mind that the nights are cooler and the horse is being deprived of the best sunlight which is thought to be as good for them as it is for humans. Thanks

piaffe

Visit site
my 3 are out 24/7 but none are clipped yet. Summer will probably have a clip in a week or so and will contine to live out 24/7 as she did last year. rugged up snuggly of course!
grin.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
All four of mine are still out at night and day, they come in for a couple of hours around 4.30pm so I can ride and they get to have rugs off and a good feed, three of them are chaser clipped at the moment, but as soon as they come in they will be clipped out. Plan to change them over after Bonfire Night, if the weather stays good.......

RunToEarth

Visit site
Three of mine are out 24/7, coloured is in at night after his OP and the youngsters down at other yard are coming in next week I think.
smile.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Ours are still out 24/7, hoping we can go until end of Oct before they come in full time although there will be a week or so when they are in on a night and out during the day.

To be honest they are coming in readily to call which says to me it wont be long before they are stood at the gate waiting to be brought in for some tea and a cuddle on a night!!

Tamara

Visit site
I am trying to understand why you would turn a clipped horse out at night and bring it in during the day at this time of year then in spring do the same thing ie go from turning out during the day to turning out at night when the days are still shorter and the nights colder. What is the logic in that?? If your horse is going to be in for 1/2 the day especially if it is clipped would it not make more sense to have it in at night?? Am I missing something obvious. Ours will stay out for as long as possible, but they are used to being out 24/7, the only time they come in is if the weather is really hot, though this year we did try keeping them out, though Mo always gets her flymask off!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Easy Tamara, if thats the way Heidi wants to do things who are you to tell her otherwise, each to their own. On the student livery yard I'm on we have a few fully clipped horses who are out at night and in during the day because their owners wanted them out while the oppourtunity was there, all of the horses are fine, not cold. All horses will be in pretty much all day and night, there will be no turnout if the weather is crap or the ground is looking a but cut up so people are making the most of turnout while we've got it.

Tamara

Visit site
Excuse me Super_Kat this post is not directed at anyone on here and my 2nd post went up b4 Hedi's so I am not aware of what she put, also all except one of our horses are still out 24/7. I am asking why anyone would turn their horses out clipped or otherwise at this time of year at night only to bring them in during the day, thereby depriving them of the best light & warmth of the day. I am not getting into any bitching thanks very much I am just trying to understand the logic of it!! Hope that's ok by you!

Judie

Visit site
My horse is clipped and turned out at night and brought in during the day so when I get there his super grass belly has gone down and is more comfortable to work, and he's not ready to be in at night yet and he's not cold - that's what rugs are for.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Your second post went up after Heidi1's post and your second post was also in reply to Heidi1's post. At the end of the day it's none of your business when people turn their horses out. If people want to turn their horses (clipped or otherwise) out during the night and bring them in during the day then fine, you don't need to try and figure out the logic behind it because I'm sure they have their own good reasons for doing it.

Thistle

Visit site
I do it on vets advice as pony has mild uveitis so must be turned out at night and in in the day. She is fully clipped out and eventing fit. Of course she is well rugged at night.
Because of her needs the other 3 are on the same routine. They all seem happy enough, fit, shiny and looking good.

RLF

Visit site
Mine are still out at night and one is clipped the reason being is that the mare (who's clipped) is a tad fresh when she has been stabled all night and is calmer to ride at comps when shes been out all night. I will be bringing them in all night soon though. I havent put mine out during the sunny spells because they both get eaten alive by flies, even with the best fly sprays/rugs. <span style="color:blue"> </span>

jacks_mum

Visit site
that's rather harsh Super_Kat! she was only interested in the logic and reasons behind it, she may want to do it herself next year if she feels there is a valid point to it. we all do things for the good of our own horses and all have different reasons for doing things. it is interesting to know why people do certain things.

ours went out at night in the summer and in during the day because it was cooler for them to graze at night, less flies etc and as they have no real shelter in their field it was also kinder. we have now swapped them back although some are still out 24/7 regardless of whether they are clipped or not. Mine boy is a wimp so he is in at night now even though he is not clipped and the dwarf is in at night and out in the day with a muzzle so that she doesn't turn into a barrel on sticks.

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
Mine is still out at night atm while the grazing is still there and it gives her longer out. I'm dreading it when she has to come in at night shes a nightmare! I also then get the chance to ride her at lunch time which is my main reason for her going out at night! ANd i use rugs to keep her dry, shes a tough old girl so can keep herself warm!! But she does get them if shes cold!!

Ginn

Visit site
Ours were out 24/7 over the summer (except the laminitic but thats another story altogether!).

Usually we play it by ear, the last 4 nights they have come in at night as the weather has been awful and they have been out in l/w rugs in the day but it depends entirely on the weather - they'll probably stay out tonight.

Heidi1

Visit site
Tamara, read my post again, they are out DAY AND NIGHT, only come in for a couple of hours to have rugs off and a brush and feed and then they are out again, non of them are ready to come in yet and they are rugged up to the eyeballs.......

KatB

Visit site
My boy is fully clipped, and out 24/7. He has 2rugs on at night, and a mwt during the day if its chilly, otherwise full lwt. He is happiest out, so will keep him out as long as possible.

MagicMelon

Visit site
All mine (including clipped ones) are out 24/7. And will be so all winter. I dont care what anyone says, ANY horse (even my clipped TB!) can live out permanently as long as they are very well rugged, have shelter, good feed etc. Stabling IMO is pointless!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Not harsh at all, IMO she came across as being rather nasty saying that theres no point in doing this that and the other without knowing the rerasons behind Heidi1's actions. end of.

Tamara

Visit site
Thanks everyone, but I will do my research elsewhere I should have known better then to use this. I am doing a project, I am NOT saying it is wrong, I am asking that if you are going to bring your horse in at this time of year WHY WOULD IT BE DURING THE DAY when it is warmer and there is more daylight which is better for the horse. Today for instance is nice where we are, surley the horse would perfer to be out now, when there is not the same bother with files etc rather then be in its stable &amp; then put out tonight when there is possibility of rain and lower tempertures. I REPEAT I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO LOOK AFTER THEIR HORSE. What is right for one it not necessarily right for another.

jacks_mum

Visit site
Sorry, I thought your reaction was over the top. This forum is a great floor for asking for advice and having 'daft' questions answered. I felt she was simply querying the practice that Heidi1 was doing with her horses and why not? As I said we all do things for the best for our horses and for different reasons. There is nothing wrong with asking why something is done in a certain way and putting your own thoughts on a subject forward. You should not then have to suffer having your head bitten off - for any reason. I didn't feel she was nasty at all but you were.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Both mine are out 24/7 at the moment.

Loan horse will be trace clipped at the weekend as she is getting so hot when worked - but will still say out. She will come in at 3.00 for me to ride and then back out again.

Hoping to keep them out as long as possible. Weather is still lovely (with the exception of a few major showers), and rugs keep them lovely warm etc.

BBs

Visit site
Bertie and Winston have just started coming in at night - the reason the field I have just moved them to has not shelter!

Winston is fully clipped - bertie isnt but is elderly!

However, they have both been out all summer unless its been very hot! but tbh they were better off out as their new stables are wooden and far warmer with no air!

Winston was clipped last week (fully) and thrown back out in teh field with a big rug on! he was quite happy!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to understand why you would turn a clipped horse out at night and bring it in during the day at this time of year then in spring do the same thing ie go from turning out during the day to turning out at night when the days are still shorter and the nights colder. What is the logic in that??

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely a simple "Out of interest, why do you turn your horses out at night and bring them in for a couple of hours during the day?" Would sound far more polite.
And I repeat.....end of.

jacks_mum

Visit site
maybe it would have but it was still a simple question, not nasty in any way and did not warrant the rude reply you gave.

i agree with you totally that as long as a horse is happy and healthy then you are doing the right thing for/with it.

Heidi1 is not on debate here, i just felt you were rather harsh in your response to Tamara. You are entitled to air your view that is no-one elses business how someone keeps thier horse, am I not entitled to air my view that you were harsh?

TGM

Visit site
Well my horses are sometimes in during the day and out at night at the moment. Basically I like them out as much as possible, but they come in once a day for a feed. I ride my horse most days and my daughter often rides her pony after school. So on days when we are both riding the horses will come in to be fed at about 9am, I will ride mid-morning and then I will leave all 3 of them in so my daughter can ride after school. So they would then be turned back out at 5pm.

However, on non-riding days they will come in for a feed and then go straight back out again. Obviously they would get more sunlight if they were out during the day and in at night, but I don't really fancy feeding and riding in the pitch black!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
If I wanted to be rude to Tamara in the first post I could have been, but the way she replied to Heidi IMO sounded bloody rude and she should have worded it more carefully.
Yes you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, nobody said you weren't
tongue.gif