Are you wearing the correct HI-VIS

rhino

Visit site
Yet another non-story from the BBC.
There is no legal requirement to wear Hi Viz (thank goodness for that), just as there is no legal requirement to wear hats. It's all down to personal choice. Advertisments by definition make claims to encourage you to buy that certain product. (Ever wondered at the proportion of the cost of a sack of Blue Chip that goes on the full page adverts for example.) Look at the quality of what you are buying, does it stand out enough for you? Is the price sensible? If the answer to these questions is yes, then buy it, if not, don't. It really isn't rocket science!

Yes, they are allowed to make claims, but only if the claims are truthful and can be backed up with evidence. Lying is not an acceptable marketing tool! 'Looking' at the quality of a hi viz garment won't tell you how well they actually work, so a bit of a silly suggestion IMO. The same way that looking at a hat or body protector won't tell you if they meet safety standards or not, that's why we rely on labelling.

Businesses are there to make money. They can choose to spend a lot on marketing, however there is nothing wrong with that. What relevance this has to sub standard PPE equipment I don't understand.

No, it's not rocket science. That doesn't mean it is acceptable to lie to and mislead people...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
the thing is.. if we, as riders want writing on the back of our hi vis, that is likely to render it not up to standard when the material used is.

It is also arguable that horse riders need less reflectivity than other users of it as PPE as, on the whole we tend not to be out when headlights are in use.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
wow what a good programme, this has made me think of things that I never even considered before, I just thought "its ok, its bright" but now i'm not so convinced! im sure the first vest they were checking is the same one that I bought years ago when I first got my horse! its bright yellow but doesn't have any of the reflective stuff on it!

very interesting!

also, I don't watch bbc very often but think that this is going to be my new fav programme :)

all about Romeo

Visit site
I buy all my tabards etc from a workwear company that sells stuff for the construction and motorway maintenance industry and is manufactured to high standards regards reflectives etc. I refuse to pay way over the top for tat made for the horse riding industry.

I have a few excercise sheets that are of a lesser known make but good quality with reflective banding too.

^^^ totally agree, I am utterly shocked!! thank you for making us aware of this problem, I for one am very grateful to have this brought to my attention.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Very interesting, after watching this I realise that one of the tabards I have probably does not have enough high vis material on it! So will be looking for another.

Does anyone know of any of the slip over the head style tabards that do not do up with buttons or velcro, as I am a (ahem) larger rider and generally convert mine by sewing on some elastic. But that DO pass safety standards. From watching that programme I am not fussed about having any writing on it, as the space the writing takes up could probably be better taken up by fluorescent material or reflective strips (which is something I had not thought of before!) General workwear stuff is good :)

How does the Luna Rider stuff stand up? They seem to have quite a few reflective strips, and I already have the exercise sheet.

I always wear lots of high vis out, and preach to anyone and everyone about it, so want it to be as effective as possible!

Isabelle

ester

Visit site
how have you been had?

The material is up to standard (the cert was available).. but because we want to have polite notice please slow down in black, on the back, it means its surface area is insufficient to meet with the current reg. IMO it is what it is, you can see what it is, you can see what it is meant to do so I don't understand the issue.

Tabards using substandard fluorescence material are a different matter I think.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
wow what a good programme, this has made me think of things that I never even considered before, I just thought "its ok, its bright" but now i'm not so convinced! im sure the first vest they were checking is the same one that I bought years ago when I first got my horse! its bright yellow but doesn't have any of the reflective stuff on it!

very interesting!

also, I don't watch bbc very often but think that this is going to be my new fav programme :)

Unless you ride in the dark, reflective properties are irrelevant. The programme jumbled up the requirements of horse-riders with the requirements of cyclists. I would not dream of taking my horse out in conditions where reflective gear was a necessity. The programme did not make it clear the the 'endorsement' by the police actually means that the police do not object to riders wearing the 'Polite' stuff. If you wear it you will not be accused of impersonating a police officer.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
how have you been had?

The material is up to standard (the cert was available).. but because we want to have polite notice please slow down in black, on the back, it means its surface area is insufficient to meet with the current reg. IMO it is what it is, you can see what it is, you can see what it is meant to do so I don't understand the issue.

Tabards using substandard fluorescence material are a different matter I think.
The quality is so poor it will not last long, the thread is weak and the stitching will fall apart, and the Company don't wan't to know, the idea is good but they have fallen down on production, and there are plenty of good manufacturing companies in every country in the world, so no real excuse.

ester

Visit site
well I suppose that too!

I was presuming that mijodsaretooblinkintite (sp!) meant 'had' in the context of the programme, rather than had in the quality of the product. With regards to the programmed I would still be happy to buy an equasafety product even if technically the product would not pass spec due to the writing.

I agree re the programme getting the needs of horse riders v. cyclists rather confused, we have much less use for reflective tape, particularly on the rider when that is usually above the headlight beam anyway.

badgerdog

Visit site
I've worn my Polite tabard all winter and it's lasted really well with no wear at all. I've worn it at least 3 times a week. It may not have so much fluorescence on show but as soon as I started wearing it I noticed the traffic slow down much more quickly than when I used my previous Hi-viz.
It's disappointing that they are not up to standard etc, but I'm pleased with mine and I'll continue to use it.

ellef

New User
Visit site
Fake Britain article was very misleading, in one scene the guy in the lab jumps from a persumed POLITE tabbard to another unknown branded vest... the BBC have a lot to answer for and so does Britt Stafford.

Equisafety were not given a chance to comment and if they had this episode would never have been shown, unfortunately to resolve this things take time.

If the POLITE range was illegal and didnt meet standards how on earth are they sponsoring Norfolk Police?

GO EQUISAFETY.. at least you have our horses safety in mind unlike some BS?!?!?!

rhino

Visit site
Fake Britain article was very misleading, in one scene the guy in the lab jumps from a persumed POLITE tabbard to another unknown branded vest... the BBC have a lot to answer for and so does Britt Stafford.

Equisafety were not given a chance to comment and if they had this episode would never have been shown, unfortunately to resolve this things take time.

If the POLITE range was illegal and didnt meet standards how on earth are they sponsoring Norfolk Police?

GO EQUISAFETY.. at least you have our horses safety in mind unlike some BS?!?!?!

That's a little harsh IMO, as the ASA upheld the original claim of falsely specifying police approval I don't see how she was at fault at all. The BBC quite clearly showed they were testing two different problems and that different issues were raised with each of them.

If hi viz garments are being sold as safety wear they should meet the current EU and BS standards, no? And the POLITE range doesn't.. unless you are claiming any differently? If they really have safety in mind surely they will be wishing to comply with the legal standards.

Are they sponsoring Norfolk Police? Or did they provide some products for use by volunteers?

Sorry, but I don't think selling sub standard safety equipment is in any way defensible.

pixiebee

Visit site
Equisafety is a pile of tat, They are in it to make as much money as possible and the customer service is rubbish. I bought the whole set inclusing the tabard and jacket, both are coming apart, the reflective strip is rubbing off and I have not even washed it yet. They have had quality problems for a while and now advise people to not use detergent when washing them due to the number of complaints, thing is, I have not even washed mine yet. Dont bother, its an over priced gimmick.

pixiebee

Visit site

ahahaha so funny, I take it you work for them with your '1' post? bit obvious.

ellef

New User
Visit site
ahahaha so funny, I take it you work for them with your '1' post? bit obvious.

No I dont work for them... I just think everyone deserves a chance to reply before being slagged off by a 'Competitor'... did you not know Britt Stafford the lady on Fake Brtiain models for Vi-Bandz and if you visit their website all heads have now been chopped off.... thats why im defending them .. bit fishy!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
lots of problems dating back years with this company-their customer service was so shocking 4 years ago I refuse to buy anything from them. I wasn't the only one on here to have a problem!

I have a lunarider coat which is fab and a Rockfish Riders waistcoat which is also fab-both good quality.