Are your horses kept in on rainy days?

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Mr M doesnt go out in the rain... only because he stands at the gate looking misserable as sin, he is a pampered pony and likes to be in his warm stable with him comfy bed eating his haylage or licking his horselyx, or asleep! He gets turned out in the school whilst im mucking out! I also dont like him going out as it trashes the fields and makes it horrible to go out in when it gets nice! YO doesnt mind if they go out or not! Alot of the liveries tend to stay in whilst its wet. Hes in today :)

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
On my old yard horses was in Nov-March off the grass. They had woodbark pens they could go in for a few hours most days if wanted.

On my new yard they are in ATM, but only as the ground is so wet. When *If* it dries up, they will go back out again during the day for a few hours. We do have arena turn out available too.

I work full time and work my 3 daily too, or if i don't work them they get an hour or so out in the arena, so works okay for me as i don't really want them out in rubbish weather, standing in the mud and cold all day either. Call me soft :)

Moya_999

Visit site
Just wanted to gather some opinions really. I've moved my 5 year old mare to a new yard recently, and so far I've been so happy with it - great facilities, amazing YO who is so lovely and helpful. The one issue is that they seem to have to stay in on box rest fairly often - they've had two days in since winter livery has started and it seems like they're in again tomorrow as some heavy rain is forecast for overnight and light rain all day. Where I was before they went out every day except for snow and ice conditions. Now my mare seems ok so far, but I'm a bit worried that if they stay in each time it rains they'll be in a lot over the coming months. What do you guys think?

Our y/o states in our contract that horses stay in a max of 5 days in any one year. Xmas day New Years day, and 3 odd days months apart when the fields are waterlogged and the rugs need to dry.
When they are in its up to owners to excercise them, I personaly don't on the festive days they just stay in with a haynet.

In the past 8 years it's only been 2 days in any one year they have been in Xmas and one odd day which was in the middle of a torrential week of continued heavy rain

Last edited:

noodle_

Visit site
no - unless its ice and snow - shes out...

my yard do keep in if its torrential - which is fair enough, i dont mind her in as long as she has a net to keep her happy. She loves her stable anyhow but id rather her out

She does get mud fever quite badly [4 whites] but I will treat as we go and if needby keep in for a few days - then back out - nightmare as i hate winter but shes happy.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Do people not increase the exercise when horses are in? Or is turnout the only exercise that horses get? Ours go out to pasture most days, but if they are stabled they get out at least twice - under saddle or lunging, and go for a roll in the arena whilst we muck out.

That'd be nice, but I think it can only work if horses are your full time occupation. (or if you don't work and have time to do it) Sadly, I work full time and shifts, so just can't exercise mine every day. Are yours exercised in all weathers too, Cortez?

ETA - I guess it's also easier to do if your horses are at home - mine are a 20 minute drive away.

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Do people not increase the exercise when horses are in? Or is turnout the only exercise that horses get? Ours go out to pasture most days, but if they are stabled they get out at least twice - under saddle or lunging, and go for a roll in the arena whilst we muck out.

of course-well I do. If kept off my grass/weather nasty (and I live high up on a very windy hill-rain/hail/snow is generally horizontal) then they get to mooch about on the yard which is sheltered by a high brick wall and they are all (the three of them) walked out in hand as much I can stand. I also work full time and have a fair commute.I do have a long drive which comes in useful!

Now two are backed etc they will have ridden exercise/long reining if riding not advisable. I don't have a school and we are on gley-they are better off with my paddock not being knee deep in sucky clay. I have more grazing this year and the retired one is going elsewhere for the winter so things should be easier but personally I don't have a problem with my horses being kept in for the odd day-it just means I have to work a bit harder.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Mine are on the hardstanding today. It poured down all night, water is running down the fields and it's like mush. They're quite happy mooching from one haynet to another and have more shelter.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
That'd be nice, but I think it can only work if horses are your full time occupation. (or if you don't work and have time to do it) Sadly, I work full time and shifts, so just can't exercise mine every day. Are yours exercised in all weathers too, Cortez?

ETA - I guess it's also easier to do if your horses are at home - mine are a 20 minute drive away.

I work Mon-Fri 8:30-5pm then go to my horses who are 20min drive away in good conditions. They get some form of exercise every night be it riding/lunging or free schooling. So it is possible, but by no means easy or an option for everyone!

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Sadly, my shifts are 10 and a half hours (at least), so less easy for me and I'm absolutely knackered most days!! When I had a more sensible job, my horses did get exercised pretty much every day. I have to say, they are both oldies now so don't need quite so much anyway. You're absolutely right though, not easy and not an option for everyone.