Are your horses Vaccinated? & Do you always booster?

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
my competition horses are done annually, but my 22 yo ex racehorse isn't. He doesn't go to any shows and the vet said he would have so much of it in his system having had it done twice a year in his racing days, and then annually for the last ten years, he didn't think it was necessary.

conniegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
as a duty of care not just to my horse, but, other peoples horses also!!!
ALWAYS have them done without question!! is so inexpensive and easy to do, there are without doubt NO excusses NOT to have them done!!! esp if in the competition world!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a very sweeping statement. I have a very good excuse for not giving one of y oldies the flu vaccine! he happens to be allergic to it, last time we gave it to him he nearly died, it was absolutely heart breaking seeing my first pony struggleing to breathe, and in soo much pain he spent 2 weeks in leahurst after that vaccine and has never been right since. I have him done for tetanus but i wont have him done for flu.

my competition pony is done for both, but the other 3 only done for tetanus as they very rarely go anywhere.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Both mine are done without fail and due to county shows such as balmoral they are very strict .

Its also better to be safe than sorry . I would recommend getting some leaflets from your vet and shoving them in her face and tell of the importance of vaccination . Hope shes at her own home with her horse and not a livery yard
crazy.gif

star

Visit site
not vaccinating against tetanus is plain neglect. flu is more debatable and probably not necessary if horse just sat at home and not in contact with any who go out hacking/competing. tetanus is essential and anyone who didn't vacc against it is in my mind plain stupid.

D

Donkeymad

To my horror, of the many animals we have owned, only one has arrived having been vaccinated. Even an 8 year old show pony wasn't!! I insist all are vaccinated and boostered regularly for tetanus, but we don't meet many horses so we don't do Flu etc.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our old vet recomended that the oldies were kept up with flu vacs as although they don't/didn't go out with strange horses the ridden ones did and the oldies would be in a bad way if flu was brought back home somehow.

rara007

Visit site
We are on what the FEI require, 6 monthly. Our shettie and Teddy have occasionally been forgotten, but always brought back up to scratch for yearly ones when we realise.