Arena Bookings - Is this reasonable?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I would say it was unfair.
They should book outside peak times or be flexible and not do it every week.

I think you should ask for a yard meeting to to.discuss it with everyone.

FubsyMog

Visit site
There are no yard rules regarding arena bookings, other than to be sensible and consider others.

As others have said, this person isn't actually breaking any rules (since there aren't any formalised), but IMO, they are not really 'considering others' by block booking so many hours, for so many consecutive weeks. Unfortunately, one person's idea of being considerate may be somewhat different to another's, hence the need for proper rules so everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet. Very frustrating situation.

khalswitz

Visit site
Our yard has a rule that the hours of 4pm-7pm every day are not bookable, so you know you will always be able to ride in the school during those hours. Not allowing bookings during peak times means that lessons get spread out more - those who can get lessons during the day do, those who can't book up the school on a weekend/after 7pm at night. Weekends are ALWAYS busy on a yard, so I just try and book my lessons during the day during the week instead when I know I can get the school, and on a weekend I try to hack/use the outdoor/wait til the non-booking times to ride.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about people booking the school for lessons. If your instructor can;t do a time that fits in, and the other livery won't budge on her booked times (she booked them first, so it is her right unfortunately!) then something has to give.

And SF - I agree if it was one person, but this is three different horses and riders - the fact they are related shouldn't impact on them being able to book lessons separately. I'd be pee'd off if I was told I HAD to share lessons with my friend because we were taking up too long...

Also from her POV - trying to book lessons for kids can be a nightmare. If instructor has set times she can teach like yours does, and kids have other activities (as kids generally do) then they might be restricted in WHEN they can book a block for lessons - and splitting up lesson nights etc can be a real pain if you are time restricted. I am playing devil's advocate here, but aside from your falling out, there could be countless reasons she has booked these slots - its just that she'll be less inclined to shift everything round to accommodate you if you aren't getting on.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I would be annoyed - you pay the same livery and have the same access to the area, yet she has booked in out for months in advance at the busiest time every weekend - I think speak to your YO and get them to implement some sensible rules.

Spring Feather

Visit site
And SF - I agree if it was one person, but this is three different horses and riders - the fact they are related shouldn't impact on them being able to book lessons separately. I'd be pee'd off if I was told I HAD to share lessons with my friend because we were taking up too long...
Okay I'll rephrase it, I would never allow my arena to be booked up on Saturdays for 4 hours, regardless of how many people were involved. That's simply unfair and unacceptable to all of my other liveries.

OP how many ridden horses live on this yard? Perhaps if I only had 10 horses here it may be different, but I don't, I have 5 times that amount and the arena just couldn't be out of service to the rest of them if this was being done on a regular basis.

khalswitz

Visit site
Okay I'll rephrase it, I would never allow my arena to be booked up on Saturdays for 4 hours, regardless of how many people were involved. That's simply unfair and unacceptable to all of my other liveries.

OP how many ridden horses live on this yard? Perhaps if I only had 10 horses here it may be different, but I don't, I have 5 times that amount and the arena just couldn't be out of service to the rest of them if this was being done on a regular basis.

That's fair enough - our yard like I said has a policy where no bookings are allowed during peak times, 4pm-7pm, so a similar idea. However the OP isn;t objecting to booking the school during those times - it's the fact that the OP isn't getting to book it! This lady has booked it first. Admittedly, the fact she has been allowed to book it for months and months in advance seems a bit absurd, but ultimately if you allow ANYONE to book during peak times, then someone will be annoyed at them, no matter who jot is - and usually the same people are quickest off the block for booking the best slots even if it opens weekly...

Annagain

Visit site
I remember your previous problem now. I'd try speaking to her - with plenty of others around as witnesses - and be as polite and friendly as possible. Just ask if there's any way you can come to a compromise. If she refuses to speak to you or come to some sort of compromise, then I'd speak to the yard owner and point out you're making all the effort and she's the one being obstructive. It seems to me she knows she has the upper hand and is therefore making life difficult for you. I know the YO doesn't want to get involved but I'd say she needs to know you're trying and she isn't!

Is it affecting anybody else's plans for the school? Could you ask them to raise it?

alainax

Visit site
Id be more pissed if they booked Monday Tuesday Wednesday at 6pm... at least they are doing it all in the one go so the rest of the week there is space :) ( but then, I work saturdays :p)

Do they genuinely use the arena for the entire 4 hours? If not then it may be an idea to speak to the yo about you putting in a slot in between. Would be unusual for 3 ponies to have more than an hour lesson each surely? There must be a compromise.

I can see it from the mums point of view, get all 3 lessons at the same time, when the kids are off school. Most instructors will do a discount for doing a block of lessons, and her instructor may be busy before and after. But of course if this clashes with when you want to ride then I can see the issue.

Id find out realistically how long the actual lessons are, id guess 30mins-45 mins tops per pony. Then see if the YO will have a chat with her to reduce the time the arena is booked out.

Last edited:

Lambkins

Visit site
To save conflict .. Could u hire a school within hacking distance ? Or box over to instructor ? I know u should be able to have ur lesson at home but if the school is not free at the time u need it ? It's just ,yes this lady is taking the mick .. But u also only have a very small window ..if it was me I would box to instructor ;)

cavalier123

Visit site
If I were you I would book in all the Saturdays you want from the 12th April onwards for the rest of the year........

I don't see how you can sort things out if she is refusing to talk to you, which seems a bit unfair that you have the threat of having to leave hanging over you.

Could you hire another arena elsewhere for the time being?

Have booked the rest of the Saturday's in April, couldn't bring myself to do anymore, too worried I'll end up being asked to leave even though this isn't of my doing.

Just got back from yard now and she's also booked out 3 week nights 5-7 for the next two weeks. I am hoping if I refrain from booking anything else and give herself enough rope to hang herself somebody else will get fed up with it and complain, only problem there is that there's nobody else who books regularly.

Unfortunately don't have transport else I would just book elsewhere and be done with it.

alainax

Visit site
Just got back from yard now and she's also booked out 3 week nights 5-7 for the next two weeks.

3 nights for 2 hours and that sat for 2 hours?

That's totally unreasonable, and the YO should definitely be involved with this. This lady may need to think about getting her own private yard!

Maybe a 1 hour booking per week per livery, the rest of the time the arena can be shared use would be a simple rule to stop it.

cavalier123

Visit site

There are 14 ridden horses but only myself and this other woman that use the arena more than twice a week and of the others there is only one other that books it about twice a week, most are hackers.

Annagain

Visit site
How many horses/owners are there on your yard OP? Surely this will impact on a lot of people and somebody else will complain.

_GG_

Visit site

That's totally unreasonable, and the YO should definitely be involved with this. This lady may need to think about getting her own private yard!

Maybe a 1 hour booking per week per livery, the rest of the time the arena can be shared use would be a simple rule to stop it.

This^^^ It is totally unreasonable!

Also, you should not have to pay for use of another school when you get use of one in your livery!

cavalier123

Visit site

3 nights for 2 hours and then saturday for 3 hours! I want to get YO involved but I just know she is going to stick up for this livery as she has her wrapped round her little finger and will have what she considers valid reasons and YO won't be able to see they're not!!

cavalier123

Visit site
I remember your previous problem now. I'd try speaking to her - with plenty of others around as witnesses - and be as polite and friendly as possible. Just ask if there's any way you can come to a compromise. If she refuses to speak to you or come to some sort of compromise, then I'd speak to the yard owner and point out you're making all the effort and she's the one being obstructive. It seems to me she knows she has the upper hand and is therefore making life difficult for you. I know the YO doesn't want to get involved but I'd say she needs to know you're trying and she isn't!

Is it affecting anybody else's plans for the school? Could you ask them to raise it?

Have tried everything over the last few weeks to sort this. For the first week I paid yard owner to bring in and turnout and avoided her so didn't see her for a week to let things blow over. Then, when I started to see her I tried saying hello, she just blanked me. Then she started tying her horse up outside my stable so I couldn't get in and out as he turns sideways across my door and threatens to kick when I try to move him over. Tried in private to talk to her at the weekend but she refused point blank and snapped at me. I haven't tried speaking to her in front of others as I know this was what upset her last time (showing her up for what she's done). You are right, she knows she has the upper hand and is doing everything she can to cause trouble, feels like she wants me to crack and leave (of course I may be being paranoid..)
There is one other person it's affecting but only know this because she's just booked 3-4 every Sunday until March!! I don't know this girl at all as she is on a different part of the yard, but seems she probably isn't happy either.

Kat

Visit site
We get block booking of the school by separate liveries as the instructor will typically see several clients when she comes. Doesn't cause ill will.

Lambkins

Visit site
The problem is ..u can only have a lesson in a very small window .. The other lady currently has that slot booked .. The other lady u have fallen out with .. So to YO it may look like u r being differcult ..:/ I understand this is not the case .. But I think if u like this yard u r just going to have to work round things ..:/ if u r not willing or able to change ur lesson time or instructor ..then speak to YO ..but tread carefully

Annagain

Visit site
Have tried everything over the last few weeks to sort this. For the first week I paid yard owner to bring in and turnout and avoided her so didn't see her for a week to let things blow over. Then, when I started to see her I tried saying hello, she just blanked me. Then she started tying her horse up outside my stable so I couldn't get in and out as he turns sideways across my door and threatens to kick when I try to move him over. Tried in private to talk to her at the weekend but she refused point blank and snapped at me. I haven't tried speaking to her in front of others as I know this was what upset her last time (showing her up for what she's done). You are right, she knows she has the upper hand and is doing everything she can to cause trouble, feels like she wants me to crack and leave (of course I may be being paranoid..)
There is one other person it's affecting but only know this because she's just booked 3-4 every Sunday until March!! I don't know this girl at all as she is on a different part of the yard, but seems she probably isn't happy either.

Oh dear. I'd still try to talk to her in front of people - more so she can't lie/exaggerate about it than anything and so you can prove you're acting reasonably. She surely can't complain about you calmly asking if there's any way you can compromise?

I think you might need to start building some allies - if she's causing problems for one person and she has 3 horses, it obvious whose side the YO will take, if she's upsetting lots of people it's a different story.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
If it's the only time you can manage, perhaps you could use half the arena so other riders can ride in the rest of the space. That's if your arena is large enough.

cavalier123

Visit site
The problem is ..u can only have a lesson in a very small window .. The other lady currently has that slot booked .. The other lady u have fallen out with .. So to YO it may look like u r being differcult ..:/ I understand this is not the case .. But I think if u like this yard u r just going to have to work round things ..:/ if u r not willing or able to change ur lesson time or instructor ..then speak to YO ..but tread carefully
Thanks, I think you're right, doesn't matter what's fair or not I'm going to have to just deal with it if I want to stay there. I do know that really, but then I get wound up when I try to book and think I have to speak to YO as it can't carry on...

redredruby

Visit site

Is leaving the yard possible? It sounds pretty awful, and I am not sure there is much else you could do to try and solve the situation, especially if this woman won't talk to you - it sounds rather unfair :(

cavalier123

Visit site
Oh dear. I'd still try to talk to her in front of people - more so she can't lie/exaggerate about it than anything and so you can prove you're acting reasonably. She surely can't complain about you calmly asking if there's any way you can compromise?

I think you might need to start building some allies - if she's causing problems for one person and she has 3 horses, it obvious whose side the YO will take, if she's upsetting lots of people it's a different story.

I might try, maybe something like I would like to book a lesson in a months time and is there any chance she could free up an hour between 12 and 2? That shouldn't be seen as unreasonable...

I do have a good friend on the yard who has been there longer than me and gets on well with everyone, but she never uses the arena. Other than that there is really only one person who books it, once or twice a week and she's just gone through the book tonight and booked out an hour one night and Sunday afternoon for the next 6 weeks - guess she's not happy either. Things are starting to spiral out of control. I'm trying to stay calm and hope somebody else complains before I do.

cavalier123

Visit site
Is leaving the yard possible? It sounds pretty awful, and I am not sure there is much else you could do to try and solve the situation, especially if this woman won't talk to you - it sounds rather unfair :(

I am really reluctant to leave as I live close to a city and having visited every yard possible in the area I really can't find anywhere else suitable, there is just so little grazing, low standards and high demand that yards around here have a very low standard. I may have no choice in the end but I'm not ready to give up yet as everything else on this yard suits me, I have other friends, access to off road hacking, enough turnout/grazing and despite the YO attitude over this situation, she is really very nice and friendly and leaves you alone or helps if she can, so too much going for it to give up yet.

CBAnglo

Visit site
I actually don't think it is unreasonable if it is in good faith; sometimes the school is booked when you want to use it, you just have to work round it. Doesn't matter if it is one livery or three liveries. I have more than one horse and I have block booked lessons i.e. 2 hours in a row and have block booked those hours every week for years. What I do think is unreasonable is when someone cancels a lesson and doesn't notify/erase lesson from the planner or someone who changes the times/books a new lesson and doesn't notify as then you really cant plan when you will use the school.

However it actually sounds like there are more yard politics going on in the background which maybe makes this appear more "unfair".