Arena Surface - Do Rubber & Carpet Mix?

measles

Visit site
Our arena surface gets a lot of use and now needs a bit of work done before the winter. It was originally sand and pvc, and then we added rubber chunks. We now need more surface as it is becoming thin in parts and I'd like it to be a bit more stable.

Has anyone tried adding carpet fibre to rubber with any success, or is it something you wouldn't recommend on past experience?

JillA

Visit site
I'm interested in this too as our local rubber recyclers have stopped producing it and it is going to cost well over £1k to top up with rubber. Any details of carpet fibre suppliers and cost?

old hand

Visit site
I think they do mix. I got mine from Tom at Equestrian Surfaces although I have carpet fibre and sand which is brilliant. It is as cheap as rubber as you need half as much per ton of sand. If you can get an artic into your school there is a cheaper rate too. Unfortunately we couldn't get them through our gateway as we are on a narrow lane. It doesn't blow away and keeps the sand in too. We are in a very dry part of the country, weeks without rain believe it or not! It drains well and quickly and also keeps water in dry weather. A friend has a surface which is a mixture of all three and it freezes slightly less than mine does but doesn't freeze until well below freezing all day and night.

old hand

Visit site
Sorry haven't replied to the important bit, it is very stable, I can do gallop work in mine as there is little sideways movement and is well cushioned for jumping. We bought the right leveller from them too as the carpet gets picked up by a harrow, it is adjustable and you need to wind the tines up in dry weather but works really well once you are used to it. We managed to scalp the carpet and leave the sand the first time we used it then read the instructions. Lol.

loobylu

Visit site
Not yet, but we have been advised to do exactly that to our sand and rubber school at work in order to stabilise the surface. Work scheduled for end of Aug.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Someone I know added rubber to Silica sand, shortly after a lot of it sunk/disappeared, she then added Martin Collins Clopf or similar spec and it rides very well. Mixed in nicely.

If your arena is thin in places are you going to add more sand as well as a fibre surface? Are you thinking 'ready-mixed' fibre sand or just the fibre on its own?