Arena Surface help

www.thornhillstables.co.uk
Was wondering if anyone had any experience of combi ride and flexi ride surfaces and the difference? Or recommendations on outdooor surfaces (bearing in mind we are in West of Scotland and rain, wind and snow are common!)

I have been told my arena surface is the wrong sand and it is riding deep so we are going to remove this and resurface it.

Some of the companies I have had out have suggested membranes, which I have always stayed away from in the past but they insist they are now more advanced and will not rise through the sand. Does anyone have any experience of using these?

At the moment I am considering Silica sand with either flexi ride or combi ride but not sure if i have ridden on either?!

We are a livery yard and have heavy traffic 20+ horses a day in all weathers and I want this to be a good surface as we have competition riders Also there is a shortage of good surfaces in the area and I think this would be a good selling point for our yard!

I would be really grateful for any pointers, as the school is 53m x 32m so this is not going to be cheap whichever I go for and I want to get it right!

horsegirl20

Visit site
I have flexi-ride and have to say it has been the best surface I have come across. Minimal maintenance and gives good return. I have no membrane and just the flexi-ride - no sand as I have seen far too many areans where the top surface mixes with the sand and causes a lot of problems. Weather wise during all the snow we had last winter the only thing that stopped me from using the surface was the depth of snow on top (we had a good 6 inches here). Once the snow had melted a little the surface held up fine - no freezing or water logging. If you want any more details just ask.

oliversmummy

New User
Visit site
Hi - I agree with the other comment, flexi -ride is great and lovely to ride on. Please stay away from the cushion ride or any wood chips!! i had a very costly and bad experience with them last year! wish i had only gone for a more expensive surface!!! the horses slipped and it rots down alot quicker than they say it does.
Also i think if you shop around the flexi-ride isn't that expensive for a standard sized arena

Good Luck :)