ARENA SURFACES

Alexianthe

Visit site
Hi all
What do people think of the stand alone carpet fibre surface
How do they ride my concern is do they slip when jumping ie on take off
After waiting many years we are hoping to have an arena done before Christmas.
Thanks in advance.

taraj

Visit site
I asked the same thing a while ago and feedback wasn't good. Shame as good value. (been waiting/saving a fair time as well!)

TPO

Visit site
There was a carpet surface at my last yard. Admittedly they laid it wrong on top of an already horrendous surface and didnt do any of the proper prep work. They also left the bales of carpet sitting outside for months so that they got soaked through and smelt disgusting.

The surface was awful and there was LOADS of metal through it. They disnt take any care when bursting the bales so the metal it was held together with was mixed through but there was also lots of other metal. Absolutely horrendous.

I'm sure there are higher quality carpet surfaces and people who care and have the sense to lay it correctly but even still I wouldn't risk it after seeing that surface.

Visit site
Wouldn't touch it with a 10,000ft barge pole. It rides very fast and jarry. Might be ok for some flatwork if you can get hold of some without metal in but I most certainly wouldn't be jumping on it.

ihatework

Visit site
Mixed with sand and regularly levelled & rolled (and ideally watered) then it’s not a bad surface.

I know 2 yards locally that have put down carpet gallop stand-alone, one in a turnout pen (yet to see how it holds up, but it could/should do the job) and one on gallops - the latter is an utter disaster, hasn’t had a horse near it yet and can’t imagine it will for a while if at all. I suspect that may go to court.

All I can tell you is none of my horses will go near it for even light work, unless it was mixed with sand

chaps89

Visit site
My parents have a sand arena and needed some sort of topper for it. They went with chopped up car interior carpet. The sand was lifted and the carpet mixed through and surface re-laid and its now really nice.
Slightly different to carpet fibre I know, but it seems to work well for them.
I've only ever ridden on a carpet fibre surface a couple of times probably 15-ish years ago and my main memory is horses tripping on it as the fibres had compacted and gone lumpy

Alexianthe

Visit site
Ok
Thank you
Wouldn't touch it with a 10,000ft barge pole. It rides very fast and jarry. Might be ok for some flatwork if you can get hold of some without metal in but I most certainly wouldn't be jumping on it.
My parents have a sand arena and needed some sort of topper for it. They went with chopped up car interior carpet. The sand was lifted and the carpet mixed through and surface re-laid and its now really nice.
Slightly different to carpet fibre I know, but it seems to work well for them.
I've only ever ridden on a carpet fibre surface a couple of times probably 15-ish years ago and my main memory is horses tripping on it as the fibres had compacted and gone lumpy

Alexianthe

Visit site
Thank you all for your reply’s. Overall it was not wanted to hear ☹️ It looks like I am going to have to re think.
What do you all find as the best surface for not an extortionate price.

sherry90

Visit site
Personally prefer sand and rubber mixed. Waxed sand I find most horse trip and it becomes compacted and there is less give than the above. Carpet and sand works well when it’s been properly laid, I prefer this than waxed sand.

TPO

Visit site
We'll be building an arena next year and I don't have a 30k budget so have started investigating surfaces.

I was recently recommended martin Collins Clompf with the proper grade of silica sand. I thought anything Martin Collins would be extortionate but the Clompf is very reasonable

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have the well established chopped carpet company stuff over sand and it's great. it doesn't freeze or blow away (were on top of cliff) jumping etc. all good. It doesn't clump and doesn't track up too much.

I wouldn't have the carpet on it's own - it would move around too much.
Lots of con artists (and have a go recycling companies) have got on the band wagon of the carpet surface - which is why there are quite a few crappy ones around.
From a long established firm with a reputation to keep there's less risk of contamination in what you buy.

I had one recycling company tell me they were starting to do it and could 'do a good deal'. The sample they sent of the product had glass in it !!!!!!!!! in a tiny cup sized bag. Needless to say I avoided all 'good deals' after then.

ihatework

Visit site
We'll be building an arena next year and I don't have a 30k budget so have started investigating surfaces.

I was recently recommended martin Collins Clompf with the proper grade of silica sand. I thought anything Martin Collins would be extortionate but the Clompf is very reasonable

The clomf is very good. But more down to the fact the company has a reputation to maintain so the quality of the product is maintained.

Like another poster said, there are plenty of smaller companies popping up offering amazing deals. Problem is the product is contaminated with other debris - metal/glass shards and the like.

The video of how to lay clomf on the Martin Collins website is good - it quite clearly shows how this product would be utterly useless as a stand alone - it must be laid with sand, kept wet and bound together. Then it makes for a very good cheap alternative to the posh fibre wax surfaces

Reactions: TPO

Translationsneeded

Visit site
I have 5 inches of silica and then carpet fibre and it’s fab. I used valley equestrian who was brilliant. They supply to Martin Collins and therefore buying direct was cheaper. (Cost me £1k for the carpet). Proper silica is expensive but having ridden in schools with other sand, silica rides completely differently

Alexianthe

Visit site
so i have 4 inches of silica sand with 3 inches of carpet fibre on top and it rides beautifully, doesn't get deep when dry or hold water when wet.

i would only have it over sand though.
Yes that was my first thought but found that the stand alone carpet fibre cheaper. But having said that no good if it’s going to go lumpy when wet etc
Think I will go back to my original
I have 5 inches of silica and then carpet fibre and it’s fab. I used valley equestrian who was brilliant. They supply to Martin Collins and therefore buying direct was cheaper. (Cost me £1k for the carpet). Proper silica is expensive but having ridden in schools with other sand, silica rides completely differently
Great thank you for your advise. I was thinking 4 inches of silica sand the a couple of inches of carpet fibre.
it’s good to get feedback from genuine people as opposed to the company’s selling the surfaces.

Alexianthe

Visit site
Personally prefer sand and rubber mixed. Waxed sand I find most horse trip and it becomes compacted and there is less give than the above. Carpet and sand works well when it’s been properly laid, I prefer this than waxed sand.
Ok thanks, was the rubber you used the flat strips or the chunks

Hallo2012

Visit site
X ride is good quality fibre and wont be contaminated. I was lucky as i used a cheaper (now liquidated!) company for mine and it wasnt contaminated but when i top up i will use X ride as i now dont trust any of the cheaper alternatives.

Alexianthe

Visit site
X ride is good quality fibre and wont be contaminated. I was lucky as i used a cheaper (now liquidated!) company for mine and it wasnt contaminated but when i top up i will use X ride as i now dont trust any of the cheaper alternatives.
Ok thanks. I will check out X ride. I have not heard of them. ?

Darbs

Visit site
Thank you all for your reply’s. Overall it was not wanted to hear ☹️ It looks like I am going to have to re think.
What do you all find as the best surface for not an extortionate price.

We use a silica sand and rubber chip arena that was laid over 15 years ago, and is still great today. We rake it regularly (with a £150 arena rake towed behind a ride on mower) ensuring the outer track doesn't become compacted and softer areas are raked in well, we pull the weeds, try to stop the rabbits digging in it, and generally look after it.

Its as good today as the day it went in.

Rubber chip is readily available, a 40 x 20 arena takes about 20 tonnes if I recall, which is about £1800 delivered. Then P100 silica arena sand will take about 150 tonnes for a 40m x 20m menage to give the recommended depth of 100mm (4 inches depth). This is cheaper if purchased as P100 industrial sand (not equestrian!), it can be bought from aggregate merchants in bulk or even found free from metal casting companies. I did a quick search and found 20 tonnes for £500 delivered, so that would be just under £4k for the total sand, plus £2k for the rubber, comes in at between £5.5 and £6k total for the surface.

Last edited:

Alexianthe

Visit site
We use a silica sand and rubber chip arena that was laid over 15 years ago, and is still great today. We rake it regularly (with a £150 arena rake towed behind a ride on mower) ensuring the outer track doesn't become compacted and softer areas are raked in well, we pull the weeds, try to stop the rabbits digging in it, and generally look after it.

Its as good today as the day it went in.

Rubber chip is readily available, a 40 x 20 arena takes about 20 tonnes if I recall, which is about £1800 delivered. Then P100 silica arena sand will take about 150 tonnes for a 40m x 20m menage to give the recommended depth of 100mm (4 inches depth). This is cheaper if purchased as P100 industrial sand (not equestrian!), it can be bought from aggregate merchants in bulk or even found free from metal casting companies. I did a quick search and found 20 tonnes for £500 delivered, so that would be just under £4k for the total sand, plus £2k for the rubber, comes in at between £5.5 and £6k total for the surface.
Wow! Thanks for all the info. This sounds the way to go ? Did you use the thin flat strips of rubber or the small chunks? Thanks again

Darbs

Visit site

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Wouldn't ever recommend it. Had an awful experience this year with it and a very well known and well regarded company in Cheshire who built the arena. Horses constantly trip and it balls up in to big chunks. Currently unusable and still awaiting it being sorted.

AnShanDan

Visit site
I've got silica sand plus fine carpet fibre well mixed, it is topped with small chop rubber backed carpet which has made it more stable and effectively frost free. It almost self levels as well with heavy rain. For flat work it's like riding on good turf. With bigger fences you do need to relocated them after a couple of sessions, but not sure there's a surface that prevents that anyway.