Arena Surfaces

rider74

Visit site
Thanks but it’s ok... I’m so sorry for your loss. I, really am researching this now. There are so many “woodchip” surfaces. Get the right one and they are allegedly fantastic. One lady said she had “woodchip” and it turned out to be hedge clippings. Ransfords have been selling their woodfibre surface for over 20 years...I checked them out on the companies house website and they are the top supplier to the racing industry. I honestly had given up of finding a natural surface that works. I’ve got the number of a racing trainer who raves about it on his arena so I’m ringing him tomorrow. Number on his webbsite. Thank you so much muddiewellies for the referral to them.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Thanks but it’s ok... I’m so sorry for your loss. I, really am researching this now. There are so many “woodchip” surfaces. Get the right one and they are allegedly fantastic. One lady said she had “woodchip” and it turned out to be hedge clippings. Ransfords have been selling their woodfibre surface for over 20 years...I checked them out on the companies house website and they are the top supplier to the racing industry. I honestly had given up of finding a natural surface that works. I’ve got the number of a racing trainer who raves about it on his arena so I’m ringing him tomorrow. Number on his webbsite. Thank you so much muddiewellies for the referral to them.
Please believe me, woodchip simply doesn't work. My woodchip surface was from Ransfords and whilst the company were/are great, the surface was not suitable for me. It was unstable and the horse lost confidence in the arena. On one occasion my horse slipped and fell whilst lunging. The link I sent you wasn't a 'referral', it was simply one of many documents available on line, outlining the environmental issues with rubber surfaces which so many people overlook. But I would never install a woodchip riding arena (great for turnout pens though). You will regret installing woodchip if you want to do anything more than walk in your arena. A sand and fibre surface is far safer and will last longer.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Oh dear, all the other reports are so good. I’m going to contact them so I’ll mention your post to them. Thanks for your time
Oh my goodness, I wish I had sent a different article now. I can only suggest you research other people's experiences of woodchip arenas, independent of feedback on suppliers' own websites. I'll be surprised if you find many success stories. The story mentioned above is truly heartbreaking. Ransfords will tell you how it's made from seasoned Douglas something or other (tree) and not made from recycled timber. All well and good, but it's still woodchip and does not work as a safe riding surface. I'm going to end this here as really ought to be working. I wish you every success with your arena.

Last edited: