arenas that are no more

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
BellVue (nr chester i think is still doing xc, although by all accounts (not been for years & years & years) very ropey

had totally forgotten about hilton park, we had PC there quite a bit for a while
& Did some really lovely events at both Kinlet & Codsall that have both stopped running, did my first ever mini ODE at goostry (i think it was there)

Llanali

Visit site
Yep Jane Lou- lots of shows at pyecombe. It's the home of the Brendan stud, Shirley/ Cyril light and where the pavitt sisters are too- well certainly one of them, not sure if both.

Nearly always have all the qualifiers- one grass ring one surface.

Firewell

Visit site
I remember the Friday night showjumping - used to go on for blooming hours!

I know these are all SJ venues but anyone remember Shamley Green horse trials? Dunsfold Ryse? Lovely venues.

I remember Burwood Farm in Guildford - I'd take hours to hack there and home again, usually clutching a consolation rosette or two!

Hee hee it did, dark and freezing cold. I used to make my mum take me after school and we wouldn't get home untill 11pm. They did the best chips there. The chips were famous.

Rambo

Visit site
Crabbet park is still going. Theres a hunter trial there this weekend... :)

It's not the Crabbett Park that most would remember from the days of BS back in the 80's. The indoor school has long gone...turned into a gym I believe. They don't run any BS anymore....haven't done for about 20 years.

Rambo

Visit site
Yep Jane Lou- lots of shows at pyecombe. It's the home of the Brendan stud, Shirley/ Cyril light and where the pavitt sisters are too- well certainly one of them, not sure if both.

Nearly always have all the qualifiers- one grass ring one surface.

Louise Pavitt rides for Brendon Stud. Sadly Cyril passed away earlier this week but the shows and stud go on in the hands of Valerie, Caz and Shirley.

humblepie

Visit site
Langford Farm - yes remember that. Had been trying to think of the name. Can remember going there once, getting there and it had been cancelled due to bad weather and ended up parking in the New Forest and riding the horse round there.

Home Farm, Stoke Poges - remember that as well, another one I had been trying to remember the name of. Went there once for a ittle derby many moons ago, got there late, didn't walk the course, horse and I both equally surprised to find a ditch under one fence. Think we were placed as definitely have a rosette from there.

michelleyork

Visit site
I used to love going to Box End, there were some really friendly people there and I had a great time racing round there unaffiliated!

The other one was Stowe Ridings, next to silverstone race track - that used to hold unafilliated and afiliated shows. Not sure what ever really happened to that place, but was always run well 'back in the day'!

rogerted

Visit site
I remember Stocklands - brilliant you could be SJ on a Sat and then back to dressage on the Sunday. Absolutely fantastic. Didn't John Parker (transport) run a dealers yard and "in transit stabling" there for a bit? My memory might be clouded as it was a long time ago, but definately viewed a foreign horse there or next door about 20yrs ago.

How about Parkhurst near Ockley? Massive indoor school and lots of SJ comps

Parwood and Prior also already mentioned but they used to have regular competitions.
Sorry only just found this older thread but enjoyed all the nostalgia. Now living in Ireland and only have choice of 2 show centres for sj within sensible travelling distance. I think there was much more choice when a kid in Sussex. We had :
Stocklands
Priory
Parkhurst - belonged to Tania Larrigan and her parents. Lovely place and hope it's still in use - the family moved to Kent, I think? I google earthed it and couldnt find it.
West Wolves EC, Sussex
Crabbet Pk
Bridge House near Slinfold
Rosier Park nr Billingshurst. Only open a while but was fantastic. They had a permanent sj course with ditches and a small irish bank
Ardingly
and loads more local show centres with unaff sj and shows.
Very sad to hear so much closed down

JB George

Visit site
One for the northerners, does anyone remember Rufforth Park - nr York. 1997 spent my 18th birthday jumping in the warm up class on a Wednesday. Also met John Whitaker and Ryans Son there, and have to admit pulling a bit of his mane out, as a souvenir :eek:....and i still have it!

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
yes to rufforth park, stannington and birchingley manor, all now closed.
Long closed horse trials that i used to compete at include Fenton (oops showing my age!), Jervaulx, Ripley Castle, Murton and Rudding Park

cobden99

Visit site
Ooooh I remember arena north, went to PC camp there and I'm sure it's where they filmed the SJ for International Velvet. Also used to go to Birchinley showing when I was a kid - as soon as I moved back to the area it closed !

kirstyl

Visit site
I remember going to watch a demo at Rufforth in about 1989,John Latimer I think, a dressage demo? I believe it became a car boot sale.
I'm told that there was an arena in Pool in Wharfedale that had all the major names show jumping there, but before my time living in this area.
I too did my AI at Poskitts back in 1988/89!

Little Nell

Visit site
Oooh I also remember Cosford and Rufforth Park. Heres a few for the Scots, Strathclyde Park before M&D's moved in, the other side of M8 where the Hamilton mausoleum (sp) is and Chatelherault Country park. My profile pic is at chatelherault :D Fond memories of riding my wee pony up and down the grass banks at the mausoleum pretending it was a derby bank!! :eek:. Perhaps thats why we no longer have shows there. Oooops!

Last edited:

Mrs Pink

Visit site
I remember going to watch a demo at Rufforth in about 1989,John Latimer I think, a dressage demo? I believe it became a car boot sale.
I'm told that there was an arena in Pool in Wharfedale that had all the major names show jumping there, but before my time living in this area.
I too did my AI at Poskitts back in 1988/89!

I remember Pool In Wharfedale, both my sisters used to jump ponies there, would be around '88/'89, i now feel very old lol :eek:

I'm another that could be found at Birchinley on a Wednesday...v late nights, good lasagne in the cafe and a fab tack shop!!!

As for events Rosiesmumof4, Ripley & Jervaulx were lovely, i still have vague memories of a horse in the lake at Ripley, still have a pic from Rudding Park from years ago hidden away in an album somewhere, also for the Northerners, Holker, Lyme Park, Claughton, Winmarleigh Hall, Scunthorpe, all good events

BaggyBreeches....I remember all of those too from PC days, esp Hazel Booths, I went round the XC at Osbaldeston with the horse I have now, I'd just got him, wasn't affiliated but it was the last time they used it for a comp, such a shame as it's so close to us!!! Shame there's nothing left in Lancashire now :(

tilly17

Visit site
I remember going to two arenas Hereford way in the early 80s. One was Yarkhill, I also remember the name Bartestree. Is that the name of the second arena or was it another name for Yarkhill? One was fairly basic indoor school the other was quite new then I believe with a cafe (posh in those days) and lovely outdoor warm ups. The smarter one held Newcomers Regional Finals.

Yarkhill was called West Mercia Equestrian Centre and run by Pam & Gad Avnon, Gad's parents used to run the cafe. Bartestree is Sheepcote, it was then owned by Mrs Buckley who rented the stables and surfaces out to David Pincus (he now owns it). Yarkhill was such a waste, there were loads of permanant boxes and the indoor was massive. After the Avnons left it was turned into a tractor shed. I have very fond memories of working at both.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Wow Lethame house that's a blast from the past! Used to work and compete there! Brilliant big arena, got a bit leaky towards the end but was a great venue :D

Jumps as well, loved competing there, shame its all rundown now was a brilliant big arena to jump round :)

Lots of places have gone, its so sad really :(

tilly17

Visit site
Capt Mark Philips asked me to hold his horse for him while he went to the loo, he bought me a hotchocolate to say thank you! When the Edgars came it was a nightmare as Ted would only ever put his initials on the board and he would have about five horses in it, used to drive us mad!

1life

Visit site
I used to keep horses at livery at Stags End back in the 80's. Didn't stay very long as they never settled there - none of them would lay down in their stables and were always spooked. Riding though the woods was very eerie with all the crows squawking! After I left I heard a story that I can't remember the full details of, but something to do with a murder/suicide thst happened there.

I used to train and work at Stags in the late 80s. We had so many equine celebs visiting there, lecture demos, clinics, competitions etc it was great. Yes, there was a ghost story but having lived there for a while I can say it was rhubarb ;). It is a lovely location but, unfortunately, more economically sound for the owner to use the lovely indoor school as a storage unit/showroom for his antiques business. Crying shame but we all have to make a living :(.

ekitteridge

Visit site
I remember Box End, Stags End, Mill Lodge, Millfields and Lordsbridge. Spent many Wednesday evenings at Lordsbridge and Belinda Neill gave me show jumping training also. The arenas are still there but it's not used any more which is a pity because it's really convenient for me. :(

SpruceRI

Visit site
I remember going to Unaff shows at Five Oak Green Stud near Paddock Wood years ago, I don't think that exists any more.

And about 10yrs ago I went to an outdoor BSJA comp at a lovely place in Leatherhead that I'm told isn't there any more either. I can't remember the name of it..... It was like a mini Hickstead as the main ring had a derby bank, water jump etc. I only went there once and thought it really smart.

Elaine Payton

New User
Visit site
The Stocklands I'm thinking of is definitely just outside of Liphook - there is still a signpost on the road down to Forest Mere and the horsepital. It was over 30 years ago that I competed there too. Maybe there are 2 Stocklands?
I worked at Stocklands, Forest Mere, Liphook in the early 1970's. We had many shows there and also indoor polo in the evening.

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
Lordsbridge, Longwood, Towerlands and Norton Heath, all where my regular places in juniors in the 90's all gone now ? Are Duckhurst Farm and Blueberry farm still going?

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
Gosh Mill Lodge! Remember it well, jumped lots of rounds there as a child.

Does anyone remember Allerton which was on the A1 close to Alconbury, just south of Peterborough. I remember watching the likes of Harvey Smith jump there when I was a child.
My ex boss owned Allerton in those days. Before my time I'm afraid, they moved from there to the London Equestrian Centre and then onto another yard in North London after then.

neddy man

Visit site
Sheffield (South Yorkshire) based 1965 to70s Indoor Barbers at Dore, Peter Grays at Holmsfield, Shay Lane at Halifax, Poole Court , Rufforth Park , Harrogate Equestrian at Pannel,and the one near Doncaster, heading South to Stubbing court at Wingerworth, the Saturday ones after a full days hunting with the Rockwood Harriers, High Peak hunt , or York and Ainsty South, (different horses of course) Taunton vale when training. Sheffield shows at Hillsborough or Owlerton greyhound stadium, Dore moor Penistone, Woolley, Honley, Halifax, Hope, Wickersley, Todmorden half in Yorkshire half in Lancashire then, Southport show, and a couple into Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire that I cant remember, and Aire Valley and Newcastle for the foxhunter qualifiers, a lovely place was Cleworth Hall ? outside Manchester I think 3 arenas on the go from 8am sharp till 8+PM wide fences with lots of poles on the jumps could do with a few more like that now. Various XC/hunter trials,Osberton, Badsworth, High Hoyland, Lasscels Hall, Ripon, Barlow, + others.Spectating at Charm Park, Flagg moor, and other Yorkshire point to points, watching Harness racing at Tyldsley Manchester, various horse auctions many now long gone Leicester, Doncaster, Pannel at Harrrogate, Lepton, Derby , Holmfirth, Kirkby Stephen. Various horse fairs Appleby, Stow on the Wold, Shipley, Huddersfield, Seamer, Holmfirth, Lee gap. Some still going but many long gone.Just about every racecourse in England and Scotland and Wales , and1in Belgium when working with racers. Spectating at original HOYS, and Hickstead derby, GYS, Lincoln county, Bakewell, Bramham, Chatsworth, etc.They were the days.

Last edited:

neddy man

Visit site
If I remember correctly in the 70s BSJA gradeing was A-B-and C,classes were usually C- B&C-A&B and A giving each grade 2 classes to jump in, plus occasionally a popular open class open to all grades and 2 hoys qualifies the Foxhunter and under 21 yr old rider classes , much less complicated than the mass of classes now, between classes all that happend was the fences got taller and wider. And every weekend there was a local unaffiliated show for non bsja members.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Lordsbridge, Longwood, Towerlands and Norton Heath, all where my regular places in juniors in the 90's all gone now ? Are Duckhurst Farm and Blueberry farm still going?

Lordsbridge is back, new owners recently bought it and have redone the indoor and outdoor arena. I believe they will be starting competitions, they have a facebook page. I think Norton Heath is still about it just doesn't really do shows anymore.

fetlock

Visit site
yes to rufforth park, stannington and birchingley manor, all now closed.
Long closed horse trials that i used to compete at include Fenton (oops showing my age!), Jervaulx, Ripley Castle, Murton and Rudding Park

Stannington was my local, and such a fabulous place.
We mainly went for WHP shows there, and very fond memories of managing to get round the course in the main arena, with the big ditches, even bigger water jump and devils dyke etc.