Arenas

Firewell

Visit site
Hello,

Gosh I haven't been in here for ages! I hope everyone is well.

We are currently building an arena. The biggest I could go in the spot chosen as most suitable grade and land wise is 25 meters by 40 meters.

I know I can't set up a course in a 25x40 arena but I am hoping the extra width will mean I can set up a couple of jumps at any rate.

My question is 1. Should I fence it? Or leave it an open arena with just white boards instead?

2. Does anyone have any pictures of 20 x 40 schools or 25 x 40 or any of the smaller sized schools with them riding in it? Especially jumping. A visual would help me.

3. Any good exercises for a small space? I am comfortable with that I should be able to set up 2 jumps on a figure 8.. any other ideas?

It's exciting and nerve wracking building an arena! I heard to go as big as you can but this is as big as I can go. We only have 5 acres.

j1ffy

Visit site
How exciting! I've attended jump clinics and lessons in smaller arenas than that. Annoyingly I don't have a video but I did an arena xc clinic in a 40x18 early in the year and there was a good selection of fences, we certainly put a course together by the end! Probably not suitable for hunter-jumping type work but you'll definitely be fine for UK style SJ! I'd suggest a post on #twittereventing on FB, I think you'd get a load of videos from people on there.

How is your lovely horse doing? Are you managing to get out competing?

be positive

Visit site
Hi, hope all is well, no photos to prove it but you may be surprised how many fences you can put in a 20x40 arena which is what I have, I can set a grid of 3 fences of a decent size, 4 if doing bounces, a course of 7 or 8 smallish jumps, easily 6 of a decent size for a well educated horse, 2 on each long size with a related distance of up to 3 strides is easy, then one on each diagonal, if you use a dog leg you can get in an extra one or two, we also do "interesting" angles, skinnies to mix things up and make more space, the only limitation is your imagination really.
I have jumped horses up to advanced BE in mine with no problem, I think having it fenced helps if you are jumping as well as allowing you to use the land around it to turn out without them going into the arena, it also gives a more secure base for the boards to keep the surface where it is meant to be.

Looking forward to more of an update on your adventures over there in the sunshine.

Shay

Visit site
Our arena is a similar size - thinking about the last time I had the dressage boards out it is about 10m longer and 5/6m wider than a 20 x 40 arena. You can get a course of 10 jumps in relatively easily. The best way is to use the omidirectional wings so you can have two fences using the same wing - for even more space use a pole wing rather than a full one. You can set up a box of doubles in the middle which gives you 4 fences immediately. Or fences in a zigzag shape on the B/E line which will give you at least 3 - 4 if you have a skinny. Then of course the others around the arena. If you set fences to be jumped either way the same fence can appear twice in a course.

Personally I would lean toward fencing it as a better way to ensure the horse stays on the surface - and possibly to keep the surface in! But that will depend on your topography. Happy days!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have no fence, so the horse can't mentally lean on it, and I get an extra foot all round because I'm not risking knocking my knee on a fence. So if you are tight for space, you could go without, it's cheaper too.

chipbutty

Visit site
We have a 40x30 arena, and can get a few decent jumps in. At the moment we a have triple down the longside, 2 on angles, and 2 on the other longside. It works a treat. I would always put a fence around personally. If you need to practice off the fence just put some poles down on the floor 2.5m from the edge of the longsides and then you will have the perfect dressage arena.

Nicnac

Visit site
You can putloads into a 20 x 40 which is what I have at home. This morning with a youngster did 3 trot poles to a cross, stride to upright and 2 strides to oxer no problem. Often have 7 or 8 jumps up including XC type questions i.e. corners. Find it's better to teach tight lines and balance than a bigger one so feels easier when competing if that makes sense.

I have mine fenced as surface keeps within boards and also have netting between boards and first fence plank which keeps rabbits and foxes out.

No idea how to upload photos - sorry.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Agree with the all the above, but just wanted to add, if you can find Anthony Paalman's Training Showjumpers, I recall that he had a load of courses in small spaces plans in the back.

Good to 'see' you on here, though! Hope your little ones are well and how exciting to bring the big orange one home.

Firewell

Visit site
Fantastic! I am so excited to have it ready now. It's going to take a few more months though I think to get everything safe and perfect for horses.
Jae is really well. I am not competing much anymore, I lost interest after the kids. However we are enjoying having weekly jumping lessons at the yard and we have gotten out in the trailer a few times this year for some bits and pieces which we have both enjoyed. I have one more jumping show end of October which gives us something to work towards in my lessons and then the winter I will continue to play around at home. I am really enjoying keeping it low key and stress free and Jae is really happy, relaxed and thriving.
I have found a lovely old pony who I am hoping will make a nice companion for him when he comes home and I am going to get a couple of goats or a mini donkey or something as well. Living the good life ;).
Thanks so much for the replies, I know what is on my Christmas list! (Jumps!)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
By the way, no fence does not mean no boards. My boards are twelve inches high, the surface stays put. I do fill in the occasional rabbit hole before one of the cats gets it.

photo_jo

Visit site
somewhere I've got three different 'courses' in a 20x40 arena done by an international course designer -I will find them and send you them-they're brilliant!

Kikke

Visit site
I have jump competions in a 45 x 20 school, 2 phase so only 9 fences and only at about 90cm but still was very do-able. Think it is trickier for the course builder the it is for the jumper!

JGC

Visit site
We quite often had a full course up in the 40x20 indoor at my old yard - I have found a video of one, but can't work out how to post it -if anyone wants to give me an idiots' guide ...