Argh help! New clippers not cutting properly...

fatponee

Not happy! Got brand new clippers out the box today and started clipping. Not cutting, ok, adjust tension, still not cutting, adjust tension, clipping a bit, adjust tension etc etc. What am I doing wrong?!! :confused:

Last year I used my friend's clippers and didn't have a problem.

The clippers came with 2 sets of blades and I've tried both, with the same result. They do clip a bit, but like rubbish.

Only thing I can think of is I need fine blades? Am clipping a TB.

Can anyone help? G&Ts on offer for those who can!

CrazyMare

Check the book for the tensioning - may well be different to your friends.

Mine are back one and a half, a friends are tighten by half.

Boysy

Definitely be the tension setting, mine are right up tight and only back a 1/4 so they vary quite a lot as my friends are back 1 & 1/4 and other friends are back half.

fatponee

Yes, checked manual but it just says blades are blunt or mechanical prob :rolleyes:

I tried the tension from really loose to really tight, adjusting by 1/4 - 1/2 a turn each time so thought I would have found a sweet spot?

Should say the clippers are Masterclip ones. Could it be that the blades are just rubbish?

I have a set of them clippers to and Ive had the same problem.
I still haven't managed to figure out what is wrong with them.
I clipped a mane with them fine and then went to clip my horse and they pulled through the hair rather than cutting.
I emailed master clip and they said they would only except them back to check them over if I still had the receipt, which I didn't so im left with a set of clippers that don't work. I tried to explain to them that I didn't buy a set of clippers for £200 to use them once and break, but they still insisted on only having them back if I had a receipt

fatponee

Angus and Solly - ooooh that's interesting. I've emailed Masterclip so will see what they say. My pair are doing the same as you've described. Glad it's not just me! Have you tried a different pair or make of blades?

clip_clop

Can u take them to a tack shop or somewhere that does clipper servicing/repairs? I borrowed some and they were masterclip clippers and couldn't get the tension right, the man in the shop showed me how to do it

ROMANY 1959

Regardless of a receipt or not, if they are not doing the job they are made for, then under the sale of goods act you are entitled to an exchange . Contact trading standards. Most mechanically things have a year warranty.

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
they should be sharp to start, all of mine apart from one pair have been... However, I once bought a pair that weren't and I took them back not understanding why they weren't working.. when we held them up to the light you could see that every other tooth or so had lumpy bits of metal left where the machining had gone awry, most of that batch was like it but another batch was fine (I had some of them :D)

fatponee

Thanks for all the replies guys. :) I don't feel like such an idiot now! Think I'll visit my local clipper man tomorrow and ask him to have a look at both the clippers and the blades. Will just play the pathetic female card and hope he helps :D

I had to use my mums set in the end which are about 10 years old and they did a great job. I think it must just be the tensions, you would think that it would all be set up to clip a horse when u got them out the box and turned them on lol.
I don't agree with having to get brand new blades sharpened, that just seems stupid to me because I might as well of not got any blades with them wen I bought them if I had to then pay someone to sharpen them for me.

TheEngineer

Going to annoy you all now!

Sad to say......YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

This post is a superb example of exactly what is destroying the clipper industry and what is leaving frustrated users with clippers which don't work and sellers that dont care.

The clipper market used to consist of several top quality brands, Lister, Heinegar, Wolseley, Hauptner, Liveryman ETC. then came E Bay and the Internet suddenley we were graced with a plethora of new brands, marketed by people who were not interested in service, spares, warranty, quality or longevity. Clippers were an investment, but suddenley they were an item that was priced at a throwaway level, made with inferior components, yet designed to mimic the old school brands. Everyone was "skint" as always and cheap became the acceptable norm.

The big clipper companies, made blades from German or Sheffield steel, quality steel. The looky likey ting tong clippers came with blades made from melted down Chinese warships. The European companies produced machines that conformed to and passed rigourous standards the rest! Well you guess.

And at the end of the day, who gained? The tack shops....no. The end user....no. The repairer/sharpener.....no.the unscrupulous importer....yes.

If you have purchased a cheap and nasty piece of garbage, box it up and return it whence it came. Demand a refund and save up for a quality pair of clippers. Please!

Box_Of_Frogs

Oh dearie me Engineer...melted down Chinese warships...that made me laugh out loud and startle the cat! Is £200 cheap then? Suppose it is really. But as one poster has said, you buy a product, it should do what it says on the tin. There's a huge misunderstanding of what quality is. Some people think a Rolls Royce is quality and a Reliant Robin is crap. Not so. You can have a quality Reliant Robin and a crap Rolls Royce. As long as the Reliant Robin meets its spec then it's a quality product. Ditto the RR. So a cheaper set of clippers should still meet the spec, whatever that was. I doubt if the OP's clipper's spec said: pretty to look at but only guaranteed to do 1/2 a cut then pack up, so she will have some come back as per trade's description. It's not so much the sellers/importers who are at fault but savvy shoppers who let them get away with it! Grow some balls of steel OP and get stuck in there! Your beef is with the sellers by the way so don't let them tell you that you have to deal direct with the manufacturers, especially as your clippers probably ARE made from melted down Chinese warships lol.

TheEngineer

Oh dearie me Engineer...melted down Chinese warships...that made me laugh out loud and startle the cat! Is £200 cheap then? Suppose it is really. But as one poster has said, you buy a product, it should do what it says on the tin. There's a huge misunderstanding of what quality is. Some people think a Rolls Royce is quality and a Reliant Robin is crap. Not so. You can have a quality Reliant Robin and a crap Rolls Royce. As long as the Reliant Robin meets its spec then it's a quality product. Ditto the RR. So a cheaper set of clippers should still meet the spec, whatever that was. I doubt if the OP's clipper's spec said: pretty to look at but only guaranteed to do 1/2 a cut then pack up, so she will have some come back as per trade's description. It's not so much the sellers/importers who are at fault but savvy shoppers who let them get away with it! Grow some balls of steel OP and get stuck in there! Your beef is with the sellers by the way so don't let them tell you that you have to deal direct with the manufacturers, especially as your clippers probably ARE made from melted down Chinese warships lol.
It is true what you say. Products you purchase, should "do what it says on the tin" and the trades description act should protect the purchaser. Sadly the old "trading standards dept" used to be of help, nowadays I have found them to be another useless government "call centre style" operation of "box tickers" full of advice but no real assistance. This is where forums and online discussion of products are worthwhile. At least people can get feedback on a products longevity and research before purchase. Thus hopefully avoiding buying a lemon.

Regarding the Masterclip, if you can't get it replaced, purchase some Heinegar blades for it, these may cure your problem......

Happy Clipping

Ian

The Engineer

Last edited:

natalia

I had major probs with a brand new set of livery man last year. It was funny but they almost needed to do a few clips to wear in and now they work brilliantly. I blamed blades, bad clippers etc but think they were just very tight to start with.

Tnavas

Take the blades off and clean both blades making sure no hair has got between them.

Put back on and run tightening until the sound changes as they run slower - go back a little and listen - do this a few times until you can hear the point where they are running the fastest.

Retry clipping the horse.

Another thing to consider - does the horse have a greasy coat as this will stop the clippers cutting, sometimes if you run the clipper over the coat, with the lie of the coat then go back the correct way you can actually get into the coat.

As the clippers are new and you don't want to stuff the warrenty do as the instructions say and if they still won't clip then take them back.

For older clippers that are past their warrenty date I'd run the head in a 50/50 Kerosene and engine oil mix to remove anything stuck to the blades.