Arghh YO and hunting - rant!

Quantock-cob

Visit site
I have just been told by my YO that the hunt will be coming through all our fields in the morning and that all horses will need to stay in. While, I appreciate being told before the event I am annoyed that all of us on the farm were not asked if we would be happy for this to happen. I know it is her place but we all pay her money to be there, so I feel we should have some say in it.

Although the horses will be in their stables, the stable yard looks out across the fields so they will see and hear all the action. My horse is quite calm but I know that the TB next to him goes bonkers when he sees the hunt, so I'm worried how they will react.

I can't be around tomorrow, so i asked the YO if she will be there to keep an eye on the horses. No - she is going hunting herself! So there will be no one on the yard (we all work) and I am worried about the horses hurting themselves.

Sorry - just one more thing about this place that is peeing me off!! I really need to move!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I am annoyed that all of us on the farm were not asked if we would be happy for this to happen.

Do you own the farm?

i asked the YO if she will be there to keep an eye on the horses. No - she is going hunting herself!

But that, I wouldn't be happy about.

Last edited:

Starzaan

Visit site
As a yard owner my first reaction would be to give yours a break. I have no choice about the hunt crossing my land - it's rented, and even if I could say no, I wouldn't as it's always useful to keep in with the local pack.

Having said that, I wouldn't leave the horses alone all day while the hunt was about unless I knew how they'd react. I have been hunting and left the horses on my yard alone in the past, but that's because I know them all so well and know what they're likely to do. I'm sure this is the case with your yard owner.

I don't mean to be snippy, I just think it's useful to see it from both sides.

zaminda

Visit site
I would be more than a little annoyed, it doesn't actually matter that you don't own it, you are being denied the use of facilities you pay for. Sounds like you are already looking to move though!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Whilst I think it is totally irresponsible of the yard owner to leave the yard unsupervised whilst something as potentially exciting (or frightening) as the hunt comes through, it is their yard and entirely up to them. If they lose customers as a result, then that is also their lookout. I would be very annoyed if my horse was excitable and I had not been given enough notice to get the day off to be there though!

Spyda

Visit site
Happens every year on you yard, too. And no one warned me before I liveried there. And no one's ever asked my permission either! *Out rage*

It's just one of those slightly aggravating things that we who don't hunt have to put up with during hunting season for the benefit of those that do locally.

PLUS if we dont bring our own horses in before the hunt arrives, the YO does it, charges you a £1.00 and send you a text telling you so! :D

zaminda

Visit site
Well I don't like having horses stabled, so yes for me it would be! However, the hunt could pass my field with them in, and they would gallop about a bit, but they do that anyway, so mine would be staying out!

Quantock-cob

Visit site
No - I think I make it clear when is say "i know it is her place" but that we pay her rent to keep the horses there - but I still think if she had any courtesy she would have asked "would you mind if...". She doesn't know (or actually doesn't really care) how the horses will react. Surely, as a YO she has some responsibility for the care of the horses on her land.

zaminda

Visit site
For me, it isn't the fact the hunt is passing that would get me, it is having to leave the horses in. Non hunting people in the area will no doubt have there horses out not knowing they are coming through! The hunt is part of country life after all! ( as long as they don't trespass onto land they haven't got permission to be on anyway)

WestCoast

Visit site
I don't know - don't you know that people that go hunting are your betters and you should acquiesce to their every whim. The plebs are really getting uppity these days. ;)

On the bright side I'm sure those nice hunt monitor people would be happy to keep an eye on your horses whilst doing a little filming. :D

Paula

Quantock-cob

Visit site
And it won't be just for a couple of hours, as we work all day, so the horses will be in all day. The YO has told me she won't have time to turn the horses out when she eventually gets back home.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
but I still think if she had any courtesy she would have asked "would you mind if...".

Never read anything so ridiculous in my life.

Surely, as a YO she has some responsibility for the care of the horses on her land.

She does indeed. Which is why she's told you to have the horses in. She should also be there herself.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
And it won't be just for a couple of hours, as we work all day, so the horses will be in all day. The YO has told me she won't have time to turn the horses out when she eventually gets back home.

Well I agree that is a shame. But at least the owners will be up afterwards to turn out.

A day in the stable with plenty of hay won't do them any harm at all.

mandwhy

Visit site
I wouldn't be that pleased about having them in but wouldn't really protest, what I would protest about is no one being there all day knowing that at least one of them may find it so exciting they could injure themselves. It would be sensible to have someone check on the yard really, even just as reassurance for her liveries.

WestCoast

Visit site

Seriously though I'd be pretty peed off about this. But I guess there isn't a great deal that can be done about it.

Paula

LaurenBay

Visit site
Actually I would not be happy with this. I like my Horse to be out, especially due to her stiffle problem.

I work from 9-5.30 so can't go up in between to turn back out once the hunt had gone past.

However I would be willing to comprimise that the YO would bring in and turnout free of charge. That I wouldn't mind as it is only a couple of hours.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
we are told the days that hunting is happening around our yard, so that the horses are left in. Just one of things when you are in the country I guess.

I've been on a yard where the hunt was told not to go through, they did, and the horses left out went bonkers - I would far rather my lad be in, hopefully out of harms way.

pip6

Visit site
Thankfully owner of farm where mine kept says no to hunt. they are polite & let her know when they will be in area & respect her wishes. Horses often in all fields, so they would cause major problems if they did come in. just to help them decide though all gates are padlocked.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'm with amymay 100%, saved me typing! I have a 23yr old who hates being stabled in the day, & with enough experience of hunting she would get very hyped. But hey, **** happens, its only for a day, that's what sedatives & calmers are for. And that's why she wouldn't be stabled on land the hunt uses unless I knew experienced people would be around. And I worked on a yard that several times at least a season the hunt would pass on busy Saturdays, never mind mid week autumn days. And we had a good few experienced, seasoned hunters. One of which was a rather dominant & grumpy ex masters horse. When the hunt passed, we used his complete absorption to advantage & got his mane & tail pulled & legs trimmed. Plus standing joke was cracking a lunge whip next to him for the amusement of the fact he didn't notice, or vaulting on. Definitely a nuisance at times, but hardly the end of the world. Look on the bright side op- you are in hacking distance of a hunt. I would kill for my oldie to still be up to hunting & stabled within hacking distance. I'm also ocd about turnout, but one day is irrelevant.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would be more than a little annoyed, it doesn't actually matter that you don't own it, you are being denied the use of facilities you pay for. Sounds like you are already looking to move though!

Have I taken that wrong as it seems incredibly arrogant to me.

For a start, it's her yard so she makes the rules and until you own the yard you have no right to question otherwise; if you don't like it, leave.
She has made that rule in the interest of horse safety, you'd be more pissed off if she hadn't said anything I'm sure. I expect (I know I do in the same situation) she will turn them all out when it's done if she is asked to or make sure everything has hay until owners appear.

If everything is in the stables while hunt is around, where's the problem as I don't think she is saying you can't use the school (if you're about at that time) just that she doesn't want horses in the field while it's happening which is very sensible.?

ETA just seen YO says she won't have time to turn out; in that case I would just make sure they have enough hay and water for the day; a day in shouldn't hurt any of them.

Last edited:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
The only part that would make me cross is YO not arranging for someone to make sure horses are ok, have plenty of hay etc. I do think that is not ideal.

Other than that, I dont think the scenario is an unreasonable one. Better the horses to be in than out in most cases esp if fencing not perfect or hunt route not certain.

If one never wants to be put out or have things not quite as you would wish all the time, there is only one solution - and that's to buy your own place.

If you arent comfortable with YO more generally then I would move your horse.

meesha

Visit site
only a thought - she says she wont be there as she is going hunting - if she is going with the same hunt then she will actually be there and could easily hop off and sort out any issues should they arise - in fact she is probably better placed being with the rest of the field to have a word to field master or hunt master. They will start early and probably be finished by 11 very lastest - can she not turn them back out when she returns ?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I am lost for words at the YO attitude.
Does she not realise that :
a) she is NOT allowed a life ouside of the yard
b) DIY does not mean owners Do-It-Yourself
c) Owners do have a life ouside of their horse and should not have to deal with their own horses outside of normal visiting hours
d) That horse are made of glass these days and break easily
e) No horse is capable of knowing where the walls of the stable are or have any self preservation.
f) It is NOT the owners responsibility to ensure their horse has experienced enough of life past the local bridleway to allow it to deal with the horror of the hunt coming past
g) paying £xxx per month actually buys the YO, not just rents a stable and some grazing.

What is the world coming to? :eek:

Quantock-cob

Visit site
We are looking to move as this is just one in a long line of areas in which we see YO as being unreasonable. She loves the idea of owning the yard but does nothing towards looking after it. And god forbid looking after her customers horses should get in the way of a days hunting. She is already on FB telling everyone how drunk she is intending to get!

And to Littlelegs - we are not here because we want to hunt - we just have the misfortune to live in a very "hunting" area, where everyone assumes that because you own a horse you must support the hunt :( Wherever we move, we will have to contend with them around here.

JenHunt

Visit site
I don't know - don't you know that people that go hunting are your betters and you should acquiesce to their every whim. The plebs are really getting uppity these days. ;)

On the bright side I'm sure those nice hunt monitor people would be happy to keep an eye on your horses whilst doing a little filming. :D

Paula

I do wish you'd get off your high horse about the hunting topics. I'm beginning to think you're only here to cause agro.

I understnad you have your opinion, and that's fine by me. But please don't spend your time on here just slagging people off just because you don't agree with their point of view!

Have I taken that wrong as it seems incredibly arrogant to me.

ETA just seen YO says she won't have time to turn out; in that case I would just make sure they have enough hay and water for the day; a day in shouldn't hurt any of them.

I thought that too Maesfen, but couldn't reply at the time. I agree too that one day in won't harm the horses...

Last edited: