Arghhhh. No grass.

Groom Mum

Visit site
I'm REALLY struggling with grazing. I've rotated and sectioned off my fields to no avail. My three are out 24/7. So they do graze a fair bit. But there is absolutely No grass left. I've seen more grass on a carpet !!! What tiny bit I have is brown and dried up nd looks like hay. Anyone else struggling ? I'm getting worried now that if we don't have some rain and sun and a growing period I will be in for a hefty hay bill through the winter. Is there still time for it to grow? If we eventually get rain ? Or am I done for now ? Any advice please ?

Fishfingers

Visit site
We're in the same boat atm were had to move our 4 off our main paddocks to a spair one but they all ready eaten that down. The bigger of our 2 paddocks has been rested for about 4 weeks now and only just started showing life again as for the small one its drown and looks like hay. There is still a little growing time left as it's still warm and wet. Only thing that I can suggest is go to your local council and ask about common grazing in your area may be enught to get by till the grass grows but that coms with its own dangers.

Dry Rot

Visit site
You don't say where you are but there might still be time to encourage some growth before winter. I'd stick some 20:10:10 on as soon as possible.

Grass does not like to be continually grazed and does need a rest. Horses graze very close and they will eventually graze out the grass species that do grow.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm REALLY struggling with grazing. I've rotated and sectioned off my fields to no avail. My three are out 24/7. So they do graze a fair bit. But there is absolutely No grass left. I've seen more grass on a carpet !!! What tiny bit I have is brown and dried up nd looks like hay. Anyone else struggling ? I'm getting worried now that if we don't have some rain and sun and a growing period I will be in for a hefty hay bill through the winter. Is there still time for it to grow? If we eventually get rain ? Or am I done for now ? Any advice please ?

there is normally a growth in the autumn as it's still warm enough for it to grow, this is when I split mine until December then I swap them over and I only have about 3 acres and it works well, why don't you see if you can buy some cheap hay for now to put out until it starts to come through.

booandellie

Visit site
you don't say how much land you have but if you don't have much (like me) you have to manage it really well. my 3 acre field has 3 horses on it all year round but they are turned out 12hrs a day only summer and winter and that way i have enough to last all year. for me sectioning bits off doesn't work as areas get over poached and then take longer to recover but i guess that depends on your soil type. i will not need to hay till january time even though my grass hasn't grown as much as normal. you will get a growth spirt between now and mid october if you can rest it a bit but by the sounds of it is too far gone to recover much. I have managed my own fields for four years now and it is trial and error so don't be disheartened you will be better prepared next year for winter!