Arkley View Livery Stables

BBH

Visit site
I have been around this area.

Does anyone remember a girl called Janey, a scatty blond with a heart of gold. Horse called Mac who was a bit of a 'character'and a little black shetland. She was last at Barnet I think the one with the feed / farm shop. Also was at Frith Manor.

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Scatty pony sounds like Nugget, Linda Earle's. If a bell rang for a class he was like a bolt of lightning. Sadly Linda died several years ago.

I got the news that Linda had died the day I was leaving Strangeways. :(

They have recently changed the yard to a more competition yard - the riding school closed a few years back.

They do seem to have a "few" maintenance issues, especially now George is getting on a bit and not putting his boot up a few butts so much.

I bought Condor - the big guy in my siggy from Pam in '92.

I didn't go down the bottom yard so much when I was working for Pam - tho I had a few liveries down there when I had a livery business there for a short while before we moved.

Does anyone remember Lin with TK or Margaret with Robbie, Annette Scott, Nellie with Precious, Kirsty and David Brown, Regula and her kids - Philipa, Georgina and the 2 others...

Marley&Me

Visit site
I got the news that Linda had died the day I was leaving Strangeways. :(

They have recently changed the yard to a more competition yard - the riding school closed a few years back.

They do seem to have a "few" maintenance issues, especially now George is getting on a bit and not putting his boot up a few butts so much.

I bought Condor - the big guy in my siggy from Pam in '92.

I didn't go down the bottom yard so much when I was working for Pam - tho I had a few liveries down there when I had a livery business there for a short while before we moved.

Does anyone remember Lin with TK or Margaret with Robbie, Annette Scott, Nellie with Precious, Kirsty and David Brown, Regula and her kids - Philipa, Georgina and the 2 others...

I was at Strangeways from 92 to 96. I remember Condor. Huge bay??? I had a Palomino Welsh Cob called Tango.

I remember Sharon with Sandy, Leanne with Speckles, I remember Regula and her kids, another one of them was called Sharon. I remember Nellie with Precious, there was a black gelding called Lloyd and a Cremello called Isis. There was a lady called Claire who ran a livery service. There was Kirsten with Daisy and Sarah with Tilly....brings back so many memories!

Pam and Mandy were really nice and I remember having lessons with Mandy. She had a big showjumper called Bean at the time.

I used to hack to Arkley and Barnet for shows too. I was about 13-17 when I was at Strangeways...the indoor school was fab!

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
I was at Strangeways from 92 to 96. I remember Condor. Huge bay??? I had a Palomino Welsh Cob called Tango.

I remember Sharon with Sandy, Leanne with Speckles, I remember Regula and her kids, another one of them was called Sharon. I remember Nellie with Precious, there was a black gelding called Lloyd and a Cremello called Isis. There was a lady called Claire who ran a livery service. There was Kirsten with Daisy and Sarah with Tilly....brings back so many memories!

Pam and Mandy were really nice and I remember having lessons with Mandy. She had a big showjumper called Bean at the time.

I used to hack to Arkley and Barnet for shows too. I was about 13-17 when I was at Strangeways...the indoor school was fab!

*waves hellooooo* :D I remember Tango. :)

Ooooo yep - I remember all of those. :) Claire gave up the liveries, started doing saddlery stuff, married Gordon -the farrier and moved to Wales after Gordons mom died.

Nellie is on FB. Con was in love with Precious. (Awww) Precious had a gorgeous foal that Nellie is now doing well with - She is up at Bury Farm I think.

Bean always used to have a melt down if you blew raspberries at him - bless him. Mandys kids are now on the show jumping circuit - "Hall-McAteer"

I still go down there and am in contact with Tina Clarke who had Soggy. :)

Not a place I would have my horses at tho again. The management of the fields leaves a lot to be desired - even if the indoor school comes in handy - when you can get in there. :rolleyes:

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I shared a horse (Bankers Boy) at Totteridge Livery Stables (Owned by Chris Hawkins) in the 1970's. Bankers Boy was lost in a gambling debt and I turned up one day to find he had gone! Totteridge Livery Stables was opposite the long pond in Totteridge Lane/Common. It closed down 10 years ago. I then shared another horse called Bess before buying my own horse a tri-coloured skewbald cob who I hacked everywhere: Arandene Open Space, South Mimms Woods, Bricket Wood, Trent Park, Hampstead Heath and Hyde Park. I then kept my horse at Mote End Farm. Belmont on the Ridgeway was originally owned by the Kings who then sold it and the Roses took it over running it for many years before moving to South Medbourne Farm in Elstree. Belmont I believe has a racing yard at the bottom where the dealers yard used to be. There was also a small yard at Burtonhole Lane just off the Ridgeway. Barn Finch (I believe it wa run by a showjumper) now called the London Equestrian Centre was next door to Frith Manor which was run by Betty Turner. She sold someone I knew a very nice skewbald horse called Cherekee which was the original horse in the Marlborough Cigarette advert. There was also a yard further along the road at the serum centre - it is now a housing development. There was a small yard at Childs Hill on the Finchley Road as well. There was also Barnet Riding School run by Monica Robarts and of course Strangeways run by the Freys.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Scatty pony sounds like Nugget, Linda Earle's. If a bell rang for a class he was like a bolt of lightning. Sadly Linda died several years ago.

Yes that's her, how very sad to hear that.
I jumped against the clock a few times against Nugget. The owners I jumped for used to moan about Nugget being in a horse class.:D

We met on a residential PC camp. Me, her and a few others were slightly (to put it mildly) anarchic on the rides and got told off rather a lot.

Slightly crazy lady and a slightly crazy pony, they suited each other.

Thanks for posting.:)