Video Arlo goes cross country schooling

ImmyS

Visit site
This morning we went off cross country schooling. Our first outing since moving yards. He loaded and travelled perfectly despite being with a horse he hasn’t been out with before. Got off the trailer chilled at the other end and was his usual lovely calm self to get ready and on.

This is only our second time cross country schooling and he hasn’t been over rustic fences since the last time, a good 3/4 months ago so I wasn’t sure what he was going to be like. I though he might recognise the place and get a bit silly/buzzy but he didn’t at all, was super chilled and relaxed.

I was really happy with him, he definitely still has real wobbly green baby moments, and also took great offence at some flapping haylage bales but all in all it was a really positive experience. We had a lot more canter this time and I was really happy with him being more forward and jumping out of his stride. We also tackled our first ever ditch and jumped the biggest we ever have, a fair sized rolltop - probably looks tiny to most but looked huge to me! Just really chuffed with the boy. He gets better every time we go out and that’s all I can ask for.

Looking fairly clean and all ready to go -

UzidbIt.jpg

The ‘massive’ rolltop -

bpeOFCv.jpg

VZx7DYg.jpg

Over the rolltop for the first time, absolutely bricking it!

First time over a ditch -

https://youtu.be/ToPGE6Tv3Y4

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He’s just wonderful.

I’d like to see you sitting up a bit more, with a more stable leg and longer rein. And engaging your core a bit more.

Don’t jump any higher until your position is a bit more secure.

But really well done. He’s such fun.

ImmyS

Visit site
He’s just wonderful.

I’d like to see you sitting up a bit more, with a more stable leg and longer rein. And engaging your core a bit more.

Don’t jump any higher until your position is a bit more secure.

But really well done. He’s such fun.

Thank you. The instructor was encouraging us to ride in a light forward seat otherwise I have a tendency to almost sit on my hands and brace. But I completely agree, I have a lot to work on with my seat and position. This is all really new to me and Arlo, before Arlo I only ever hacked and could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve popped a small fence. I know such a novice combination probably isn’t ideal, but I think if we keep plugging away keeping things simple and relaxed then I hope we’ll make steady progress.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think you can really see the massive improvement from the last XC :) in both of you. And he does listen to you when he isn't totally sure. You are riding more confidently even if you don't entirely feel it :D

ImmyS

Visit site
I think you can really see the massive improvement from the last XC :) in both of you. And he does listen to you when he isn't totally sure. You are riding more confidently even if you don't entirely feel it :D

Thank you Ester - I’m definitely feeling more confident with him. Everything time we go out somewhere, it boosts my confidence. Slowly but surely 😊

Tinsel

Visit site
Well done on having a lovely time at XC I have done XC once it was were I go for a riding holiday but I am hoping to have a other go next time round