Arlo is missing

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve been fairly cool I feel, cats wander right? until now. I’m beginning to feel a bit hysterical. I think a few lovely glasses of Pimms haven’t helped the situation but my little tiger is gone :(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Since Thursday. He never go’s out for more than a few hours and certainly never over night.
We have literally scoured the area. Including at night with thermal imaging cameras. Nothing

scats

Visit site
Have you got nearby neighbours? Could you knock on doors and ask them to check their sheds/garages?

Our elderly cat went missing 3 years ago, she was my soul mate and I have never felt heartbreak like it. We found her 5 weeks later but sadly it was too late and she was too weak so we had to have her PTS. The whole thing has traumatised me to the point that I won’t let our cats out overnight and if I haven’t seen them for a couple of hours, I panic. I totally understand how you are feeling.

I hope your cat comes home soon x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A neighbour stopped us when we were walking the dogs, one day last year, to ask if we had seen one of her cats. Unfortunately we hadn't but she stopped us again about a week later, saying that the cat had come home. The theory was that she had been stuck in an outbuilding over a long weekend Bank Holiday. I would ask your neighbours to check carefully and would probably go poking around the gardens of any who have gone away for Easter.

pixie27

Visit site
A neighbour stopped us when we were walking the dogs, one day last year, to ask if we had seen one of her cats. Unfortunately we hadn't but she stopped us again about a week later, saying that the cat had come home. The theory was that she had been stuck in an outbuilding over a long weekend Bank Holiday. I would ask your neighbours to check carefully and would probably go poking around the gardens of any who have gone away for Easter.

Ditto this, maybe take a bag of biscuits out and shake them around near sheds/garages. My little cat befriended a fisherman a few years ago and was always sat in his garage, I always worried that he’d get locked in accidentally.

Have you got any local FB groups? They’re quite useful for lost cats.

How far is your search radius? Might be worth going further than normal in case he’s been scared off by a fox/dog/cat.

I was told by a lovely old cat lady that it’s easier to look at night. Your thermal imaging stuff will no doubt be better, but her trick was shining a torch light everywhere as their eyes will reflect it.

Really hope he comes home soon x

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
try not to panic, all of mine at some point have gone off for 2-3 days, some have done it regularly others only once. there's lots of hunting about just now. I really hate that feeling when they don't turn up for dinner though. Fingers crossed he's just out partying. I sometimes put slips of paper with a description and contact details through neighbours doors if especially worried-I then sometimes get texts saying they've seen them at local farms etc. I live on a loop of road about 7 miles long but only 4/5 households and 2 farms on it.

Good call about out buildings and garages-a friend lost her cat for over a week and it was found in a garage down the road when the owners came back from holiday.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We’ve done food shaking, torches every and any times of day and night.
We don’t have any close neighbours but the village have been told, there are people I don’t know down there but “parish council Pete” (!!) is on the case and if he knows everyone will ;) he’s a lovely guy!
My hope now Is for tomorrow, that he’s been handed in to a vet or rescue and tomorrow they will be back to proper work and I’ll be able to contact them. Currently it’s all answer phones with recorded messages.

Shady

Visit site
Fingers crossed here too. One of mine went missing once and I thought that was it, only for him to stroll in the door 5 days later like he'd been on holiday. No idea where he went, there's nothing here but he never did it again. He must have been about a year old and I think he just went too far and couldn't find his way back . My OH had only just come back from calling him miles down in the valley and he came in the door soon after that.
Really hoping you get some good news today P. x

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Scruffles goes missing this time of year on a regular basis for days at a time. He is a hunter, there are plenty of rabbits and he has no need for tinned or dry food.

Try not to worry, Arlo will turn up without a care in the world oblivious to the fact he has caused so much grief.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Hope he is home soon. Do you have a vacuum cleaner with a bag/dust collector? You could walk and lay a trail in case he has wandered outside his area?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We had a call yesterday in response to my posters. He was “definitely” seen in a bit of forest on Friday by two people who agree it was him. It’s a few miles from home so it seems he’s gone a fair way. If he’s carried on he could be anywhere by now :(
I’m trawling the area constantly by car and on foot but we are surrounded by fields and trees. It’s the proverbial needle in a haystack. How/where do you ever stop.
I keep getting told it’s what cats do but tbh it doesn’t help! I’m literally out of my mind worrying about him.
I really thought yesterday he’d be found.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
We had a call yesterday in response to my posters. He was “definitely” seen in a bit of forest on Friday by two people who agree it was him. It’s a few miles from home so it seems he’s gone a fair way. If he’s carried on he could be anywhere by now :(
I’m trawling the area constantly by car and on foot but we are surrounded by fields and trees. It’s the proverbial needle in a haystack. How/where do you ever stop.
I keep getting told it’s what cats do but tbh it doesn’t help! I’m literally out of my mind worrying about him.
I really thought yesterday he’d be found.

cat trap and some food in the area? might catch something you dont want though.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Has he come home yet? It's so horrible when they go missing. :( They can go away for a few days when it's warm and hide in the shade. I hope he returns soon.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No he’s not home. There were possible sightings both good Friday and the following Friday. Both in vaguely the same area but both with a river between us and him. He’d have had to find one of the few ways across so we were a bit unsure but have none the less spent literally hours, days trawling the area. This morning we have had another call saying he might have run across the road in front of someone we know in the village the other side of us. This is a little more plausible maybe. I have no posters in that area so that and knocking a few doors maybe is today’s job.
It’s the not knowing if he’s starving/ hurt lying in a ditch or locked in somewhere that’s killing me :(

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I'm sorry Arlo still isn't home. We lost our Bengal for 8 weeks and found her two miles away after a call from a local gamekeeper laying down pullets saw her. She had kept herself fed and watered so don't give up hope. Lxx

Teajack

Visit site
All fingers crossed for you OP xx. Been through this a few times and its horrible (thankfully always a happy ending). First time I was searching someone told me that given the choice cats will always go up not down - to the top of a building not the basement, uphill rather than down. Didn't pay much attention at the time but with mine this has always turned out to be correct.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Sorry to hear he isn't home. :(
Is he chipped? Have you just moved house or anything? Anything at home changed i.e. new pet? I would make leaflets and post them through lots of houses in the area asking people to check sheds and garages. People will have been doing more things outside with the nice weather so he may have gone into a shed or something. Put posters up too and post pictures on Facebook pages for lost cats in your area.
Don't lose hope x

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Yeah definitely don't give up hope, my Daisy buggered off for six weeks until she was found - and that was during a cold winter. Arlo is probably having the time of his life and will saunter in at some point and wonder what all the fuss is about.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We lost one of our elderly cats a couple of years ago. He’d had a couple of seizures in the past, and we really feared the worst. Almost 6 weeks later we had a note through the door when we got in from work saying someone had taken in a cat matching his description. Even seeing him myself, I still couldn’t believe it was him.

Don’t give up hope. Xx

McFluff

Visit site
How awful, it’s horrendous when they go missing.
We lost one of ours around this time a couple of years ago. Searched all garages and sheds in the area and put up posters and contacted microchip.
Cats protection league advised us to hang up some of our dirty laundry and any blankets the cats used on our washing line. The theory is that the smell helps them find their way back. For us, it worked and two days later a hungry and thirsty cat turned up. Much to the relief of her brother who had been kept in and taken for walks on a lead. Which hated. Really hated.
Hope he comes home soon.