Arrgggh!!!!! Harvey's halo has slipped! (Pics)

Patches

Visit site
Moi - "LEAVE THE BLOOMING TREE ALONE!!!!!!"
grin.gif

Halo under threat
18961_225845172230_562852230_3609165_3710154_n.jpg

Halo definitely slipping
18961_225844072230_562852230_3609135_544130_n.jpg

Well and truly slipped!
18961_225844082230_562852230_3609136_6133496_n.jpg

DEVIL puppy going in for the kill!
shocked.gif

18961_225844092230_562852230_3609137_6626145_n.jpg

Harvey has decided he likes Christmas.
grin.gif

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Well you knew he would reek revenge for making him pose in a girly bow yesterday
grin.gif
This year is the first year for over 40 years that I haven't had a tree, just daren't risk it with 2 kittens who climb for Britain!
PS. He does still look super cute though, even when he is being naughty.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Harvey's halo slipping ..... NEVER - oh, loking at the pics, maybe it has just slipped a tiny weenie bit .....
tongue.gif

Do you remember me mentioning that some years ago, my puppy was caught running round the house with the Christmas tree lights in her mouth, switched on ....... obviously a popular festive game!
grin.gif

Booboos

Visit site
He is so gorgeous!

I remember one Christmas walking in and finding the cat on the top of the tree, knocking down balls for the dog to catch (very considerate of her!), while the rabbit was on a stealth mission under the tree eating through the trunk!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I think the three first photos are adorable!
grin.gif

Our cats taught us ages ago to only have "nude" branches at the bottom of our Christmas trees, saying no and/or spraying them with spray bottle when we caught them, only made them wait until we went to bed and then in the morning... Although I do get a little nervous seeing how accessible the power cord to your Christmas lights is.

Even angels must be allowed to have some fun...
a035.gif
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't those baubles made of thin glass??
crazy.gif

I love Harvey, such a scrumptious boy!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No of course not! The baubles are not made of thin glass at all. They are plastic. I'm not completely stupid! I have never bought glass baubles, never would especially seeing as I have four children. I think my nan used to have glass baubles many moons ago, but my are completely shatter proof. They would bend/collapse but not break.

It was still taken off him, not left for him to play with.

As for the other poster. Yes, Harvey did get the power cord in his mouth but again it was taken off him and has not been moved higher up the tree....and the lights haven't actually been turned on since yesterday.

He is never unsupervised in the living room so there is no fear of him electrocuting himself.

I hope people don't honestly think I'm that irresponsible to allow him to chomp on a glass bauble
frown.gif

itsme123

Visit site
If those were real glass baubles I'd be advising you to take them back to the shop.... because they definately look like plastic to me
wink.gif

Amazing how many dog owners keep their puppies crated / locked in a completely safe room until they're past chewing isnt it??
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Rosie adores being in with the family, and has 'had' a couple of baubles herself... the xmas tree lights broke and I suspect it was her... and she's had a laptop wire too. regardles I'd never DREAM of keeping her from the family room. She has to learn somehow what she can and can't do. She wouldn't be a dog otherwise, she'd be a robot....

lovely photos Clare...

spaniel

Visit site
LOL, with a pup and a young kitten new to the household this year we drew a picture of a tree and stuck it on the wall!!!

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It never crossed my mind that it would be a glass bauble, if that is any consolation.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I reckon I'll be taking the tree down tomorrow or Monday. Now he's found it, he's having a ball! No decorations, tinsel or lights where he can reach now, but chewing the tree is just as much fun!
blush.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
We tastefully wrap some lights around some branches in a tall pot - years of experience has taught us cats + GSDs + Christmas tree = nightmare!

Patches, B's 'nemesis'
tongue.gif
who passed his obedience test on the same day we did last month, was denied his steak dinner reward because he ate his owner's slippers and a computer power lead that very night - and he is a dog we refer to as 'Mr Perfect' - all halos slip, sometimes
smile.gif

Patches

Visit site
Jasper never bothered with the tree. He was such a good boy. Hopefully, in time, Harvey will be the same.

We do have really deep windowsills, so I could get the old tree out and sit that in the windowsill next with with battery operated lights on it.

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, with a pup and a young kitten new to the household this year we drew a picture of a tree and stuck it on the wall!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Good idea! Our tree has survived our kitten no problem.

Cliqmo

Visit site
Aww, in a funny sort of way Patches- I'm rather pleased about your post
shocked.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Bomber came home with us on the morning of 24th December and within the hour had absolutely confirmed he was the horned (rather than halo'ed) variety! As I sit here on the sofa with the laptop on my knees Bomber is sat on my arm mouthing my fingers as I type
smirk.gif
He is very cute though and needs this much gumption to play with our vizzys
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aww, in a funny sort of way Patches- I'm rather pleased about your post
shocked.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Bomber came home with us on the morning of 24th December and within the hour had absolutely confirmed he was the horned (rather than halo'ed) variety! As I sit here on the sofa with the laptop on my knees Bomber is sat on my arm mouthing my fingers as I type
smirk.gif
He is very cute though and needs this much gumption to play with our vizzys
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Harvey does seem to have an insatiable appetite for chewing socks, slippers or any item of clothing. Ear lobes are a particularly fleshy favourite.

I keep telling him no sternly. Hoping he'll grow out of it.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If those were real glass baubles I'd be advising you to take them back to the shop.... because they definately look like plastic to me
wink.gif

Amazing how many dog owners keep their puppies crated / locked in a completely safe room until they're past chewing isnt it??
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Rosie adores being in with the family, and has 'had' a couple of baubles herself... the xmas tree lights broke and I suspect it was her... and she's had a laptop wire too. regardles I'd never DREAM of keeping her from the family room. She has to learn somehow what she can and can't do. She wouldn't be a dog otherwise, she'd be a robot....

lovely photos Clare...

[/ QUOTE ]

All my puppies rarely see a crate (I tend to turn my whole bedroom into one large puppy pen but that is only used over night and only for the first few days), they live with us in our house but for me that also means that my puppies isn't always in the same room as me and since I can't see through walls, I simply prefer feeling safe about that they can't get electrocuted when we're not in the same room...

So when we have puppies I put all power cords that I can out of reach, sometimes in quite innovative ways if I may say so myself, and the power cords that I can't move out of reach, is fenced in.
I do realise that the result might not always look so neat but I prefer it that way, besides there is so many things that makes most of us go "No don't do that!" or "No don't do this!" with puppies anyway, that I don't see any problem with simply keeping all power cords out of reach until the worst "I investigate with my mouth and taste on almost everything" period is over. It has yet not turned any of my dogs in to robots...

dog.gif

Patches

Visit site
Must admit, Harvey can't get near any other wires in the downstairs of the house, only the Christmas tree (which is now moved, not plugged in and the tree is likely to be taken down anyway tomorrow or Monday). He's not going upstairs at the moment, but the plan is to stop him going upstairs anyway.

The TV is a big LCD model where the glass stand fits into the corner very snuggly. He cannot get behind it...or through it as the shelf is full with DVD recorder, PS3, Wii, Sky HD, Bass speaker thingy etc etc.

We have a lamp sat on a unit, plug socket behind the unit. Kitchen has no wires on display. I guess he could chew the dyson cable in the hallway, but it's not plugged in. This old farmhouse has very little storage space though as our kitchen was the pantry, and our living room was the kitchen.

As I said earlier, if Harvey is still as playful next year I will have to have the small tree up that sits on the windowsill. We have a couple of sets of battery lights which would fit the smaller tree, so no power cord.

I think we did well. He's been here a week and has only just discovered it.
grin.gif

I do, however, use a crate. The crate is in the living room and I crate him when I turn the horses out, he falls asleep or we pop out to the shop etc. I have no issue with having a puppy in the crate, even when we're in the house.

Useful tools.
smile.gif

itsme123

Visit site
ahh you've taken that out of context
smile.gif

I use a crate myself, for us a crate s a useful tool. But when we're here she comes out and investigates and plays.

What i meant was you can't crate a pup all the time, or keep it in a completely puppy proof enviroment, not if you have kids about and other pets. We all do all we can to make puppy's enviroment as safe as possible, but sometimes they find things we've missed. Hence photos of a puppy murdering a plastic bauble
grin.gif

I had my laptop wire behind the sofa, i didnt think Rosie could get to it, seen as I cant even het my hand down there (she's a chunky girl!). But she did, and chewed it clean in half.

I recall one of my children accidently dropping a baloon on the floor and Jack eating it whole. The first i knew about it was whe he pooed it out
shocked.gif
. Obviously, every balloon in the house was binned and the children lectured about 'things on the floor'. I was talking to a 'friend' about it, a man who bred GSD's for years and who trains guide dogs and he rollecked me
frown.gif
and suggested i shouldnt have a pup because baloons can be lethal. Well, yes, I knew that, but stuff happens, family life goes on if you have a pup. All any of us can do is make sure our own houses are as puppy proof as is possible to suit the household.

Patches

Visit site
I remember Jasper stole a sock off Matthew's foot (he was 20 months old at the time) and ate it. He used to chew the teat off his dummies too.

He was also very adept at drinking from a baby's bottle too and dirty nappies were just heavenly!

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Some people are amazing anal aren't they? "Ooh, cute puppy pictures - let me spot all the potential hazards in the room rather than just going 'aaaawwwww' like a normal person "
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Gorgeous photos, he's almost TOO adorable!

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
At the "big" open 24 hours a day veterinarian hospital in my town, they used to have this display cabinet with items they had removed from, mostly dogs but also a few cats, intestines through the years. I can still see it in front of me, this bicycle saddle cover with fur all over the top, without a scratch or gnaw mark that i could see, laying in the middle of the "collection".
There was also a pair of pink knickers and lots of stones etc.

I agree, no matter how careful you are, there could always be accidents. I wonder what that GSD breeder would have said if one of his dogs had needed to be acutely operated because it had swallowed a stone or two out on a walk? I doubt he would have given himself a scolding for irresponsibility.

My brain is very good at repressing what my puppies have done but I clearly remember leaving my father in our living room when I was about 17 years old, after asking him if he could look after my puppy when I just went up the stairs to my room to look for something. He said yes and returned to reading the morning news paper...

Do you think she was doing something she shouldn't when I came back after only a few minutes (and they really were only a few)?

Do you think he heard, got his nose out of his news paper?

He was very surprised when I came back and alerted him to that she was gnawing on the table in front of him...

grin.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Harvey is still gorgeous, slipped halo et al. Our tree is in our "best" room which we try and keep dogs and cats out of (Buffy is allowed in on special occasions). Learned our lesson after our lancashire heeler removed chocs off the tree, and opened and ate a box of chocolates (the only pressie she opened). Luckily she was okay , she was a touch little nut. Something tells me Evie and christmas trees would not be a good combination
smile.gif

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Harvey is still gorgeous, slipped halo et al. Our tree is in our "best" room which we try and keep dogs and cats out of (Buffy is allowed in on special occasions). Learned our lesson after our lancashire heeler removed chocs off the tree, and opened and ate a box of chocolates (the only pressie she opened). Luckily she was okay , she was a touch little nut. Something tells me Evie and christmas trees would not be a good combination
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I like that his halo has slipped, in many ways. He wouldn't be a normal Cocker puppy if he was too quiet eh?
grin.gif

He can't get at anything on our tree now, apart from the pine cones which are part of it. Lots of "No's" and he's moved away from it. Lots of yapping in dismay at being removed from it. Nine weeks old and clearly he's already highly opinionated. Sounds about right I think.
smile.gif
blush.gif

As our farmhouse is split in two, inlaws in the other half, we're distinctly lacking in "best rooms" at present. Mother in law doesn't put any decs up anyway....bah humbug!

He's just been playing and has taken himself off to his basket, inside the dog crate, for a nap. Might have semi-redeemed himself.
laugh.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
QR
Excellent - have just logged back in and I see that young Harvey is upholding the spaniel end! I was getting a bit worried that he was a little bit sickly or something - 'tis not natural for a spaniel to be so well behaved for so long at a time
wink.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
haha! finally a slight slip in the halo!!!

what?! you don't let your puppy play with glass?! you mean mean mummy!
wink.gif
hehe

Beau was never a problem with the tree...... presents YES tree NO! lol
the CATS on teh other hand! Not any more but hte first 2 years we had them we could only put indistructable baubles on etc as my sisters cat would climb the tree and push baubles etc off the branches and my cat would sit at the bottom and catch them!
wish I had taken pictures now, but was too busy at the time screaming at them!
smile.gif
hehe

Hope he enjoyed his first xmas!