Arrghh! Not looking forward to this!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
A bit of a pointless post, really...
Grumpy needs his teeth doing, which in itself is not a problem, but there is no chance in hell of anybody coming anywhere near him with a dental gag without a full sedation. Fine, just sedate him then, I hear you say... well, there is as big a chance of doing an intravenous injection as putting a dental gag on:mad:
So, muggins here will have to perform one of her famous ''on the run'' intramuscular shots and then wait forever for the drugs to kick in:rolleyes:
It's hilarious to watch, I can assure you, not so funny to do, though. It involves long leadrope, swift kick on the coronet band synchronised with a skilful stab with a needle and then... then we just run together, while I empty the content of the syringe and mind my toes at the same time :D

He's not a nice horse, but he jumps well:eek::p

I'm not really expecting anything, but if somebody wants to volunteer to take my place, I'm happy to give it up ;)

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Could you tell how to do it but in slow motion as my mare also needs her teeth done badly. Sedalin doesn't work,she see vet goes ape*****, sees a needle and again ape*****. Do you jab him in the neck with it and push the plunger as he's going at a fast pace or what????

martlin

Not prepared to put a blindfold on him, I tried once for loading and it was a disaster :eek:
I do try the circling, but it tends to end up very large circle, lol:D
There are no words coming to my mind at the moment that wouldn't be starred out by the wear filter on here, so I can't describe my darling Grumps :p:D

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Is she as friendly as Grumps?:D

Well, I haven't witnessed her behaviour with an EDT yet but I can't see her taking kindly to someone trying to wedge a gag in her mouth. She lost the plot when I tried to brush her last week! Bloomin' horse.

I'm hoping I can get away without clipping her because that really would be hilarious. I'm thinking of getting teeth and a clip done in one go. :D

glenruby

Visit site
Does a twitch work (to inject i mean - not for dental?). I find the run with them (pref in a circle) tends to be the best option if they really are that horrid. I detest gettigng battered and bashed into walls and stable doors by people who then tell you what a fabulous temperament their darling hrse has - just teach it some bloody manners would you?? :p However, there are a few that genuinely (as it seems ur horse is) are near impossible for the competent professional handler to control when they are faced with somethng they take a dislike to - I met 2 on Wednesday -1 was sedated over the door! :p

martlin

Could you tell how to do it but in slow motion as my mare also needs her teeth done badly. Sedalin doesn't work,she see vet goes ape*****, sees a needle and again ape*****. Do you jab him in the neck with it and push the plunger as he's going at a fast pace or what????

Righto, you need on the horses head something that will allow you to turn it - headcollar, bridle, chifney - you call.
Long leadrope, held in your left hand.
Large space,so you both don't career into anything in the process.
You walk around with the horse, sort of shuffling sideways as you face the horse's shoulder.
You ram you right shoulder (rugby tackle style) into the horse at around girth height. At the same time kick near fore coronet band (not to hard, just enough for a jerk reaction) and wallop the needle with syringe attached into the neck, as close to the shoulder as practicable.
The horse sort of slightly collapses in your direction and then starts running (well, Grumpy does), you draw your left hand with the leadrope behind your back and empty the syringe into the muscle as fast as you can.

MIND YOUR TOOTSIES! and good luck :D

This method works with horses who turn to FIGHT immediately when FLIGHT option is removed. It allows them relatively unrestricted movement.

martlin

Does a twitch work (to inject i mean - not for dental?). I find the run with them (pref in a circle) tends to be the best option if they really are that horrid. I detest gettigng battered and bashed into walls and stable doors by people who then tell you what a fabulous temperament their darling hrse has - just teach it some bloody manners would you?? :p However, there are a few that genuinely (as it seems ur horse is) are near impossible for the competent professional handler to control when they are faced with somethng they take a dislike to - I met 2 on Wednesday -1 was sedated over the door! :p

Twitch doesn't work at all :rolleyes:, just winds him up more. He is just horrible, and I never ever tell anybody otherwise...
I can control him relatively well, just can't get him to be still as he immediately attacks and will not shy away from any aggressive action to get away from you.
As I said in my OP - he jumps well.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I'm sorry Martlin but that mental image made me splutter chewed up crisps all over my laptop!

We have a pony like this on our yard. Owner ties up haynet near door but so ponies backside is across door and then sneaks up on him and jabs him in the bum whilst he is eating hay. Trying to take a vet in with a needle is certain death to the vet!

Good luck with your rather brilliant sounding method. I don't want to do it for you but I WILL come and watch if that's an option?!

millitiger

Visit site
I have this fun with my 4yro too- he is 18hh :)

he really is the most lovely horse to deal with... until you need to inject him!
then he is a very horrible, aggressive beast who will go with teeth, front feet, back feet and if he can't reach with any of them will body slam you into the wall :(

he is also a bit headshy if 'new' people are around so i can only get the twitch on if he doesn't know the vet has arrived yet!!

each year jabs are getting more and more 'fun' and doping for his teeth a few months ago was hellish.

out of interest, what is yours like to worm?
mine is a bit of a twit but it is more of the before watershed performance...

martlin

Worming is easy enough, we just perform a little dance and then have the wormer like a good boy :D
He's an angel to clip and cheeky but doable for the farrier.
The key to handling him is never to try to restrain him, I can do most things to him if we keep moving.
He is petrified, thus tries to kill his dead sheep numnah, though... pretty much every day :rolleyes:

Jesstickle

Visit site
absolutely, I will run the box office. Will pop over a couple of hours early to assemble the grandstand as well. I envisage a sell out!

martlin

Unfortunately, sedalin is not strong enough for a dental - it would save a lot of hassle if it was... I'm not sure if getting him sedalined and then sedated is a good idea either, but worth pondering, I suppose.