Arthitis in dogs and Glucosolamine

pocket

Visit site
My 10yr old collie cross was in a car accident with me last year and was ejected from the car, I'm not sure how far she travelled due to my own injuries.

She appeared to only have cuts to her paws and showed no sign of other injuries when she was examined. over the past month or so, she has had intermitant lameness to her front legs and becomes very stiff behind if she's been laying down for a long time.

She eases up after a good walk, but then stiff the day after. I have started her on codliver oil daily and wondered about glucosolamine, but not sure about the dose? Any ideas, she weighs approx 20kgs.

brightmount

Visit site
At 10 years of age arthritis is quite common and I wouldn't necessarily put it down the the car accident, so don't agonise about it. The cod liver oil you are feeding is a good idea. You can also get a canine version of Cortaflex from most pet shops or animal feed merchants (or online).

If she gets progressively worse, your vet may prescribe Metacam or Rimadyl, but it's worth trying Cortaflex or something along those lines first, as your insurance might not cover what the vet prescribes and it can get expensive.

My last dog was a very active Springer Spaniel but she did get very stiff after overdoing any exercise in later life, it's just a part of getting older, though trying to tell a dog like a Collie Cross or Spaniel its limits may not be that easy!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
My Border Terrier has really bad hip dysplasia and has MSM Glucosamine combined daily using synoquin.

She has the small breed capsules but the standard size synoquin tablets that are designed for a medium dog daily dose have the following in them:
Glucosamine HCL (99% Pure) 360mg
Chondroitin Sulphate (95% Pure) 235mg
N. Acetyl D-Glucosamine (99% Pure) 35mg
Ascorbic Acid 35mg
Zinc Sulphate 20mg
TOTAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PER GRAM 685mg

So maybe check your source and see how much active ingredient they say is in it and work it out that way?

Hope this helps!

Willow1

Visit site
I give my 12yr old GSD human tablets as they generally seem to be cheaper than animal varieties!
I feed 2 tablets per day consisting of 750mg Glucosamine, 600mg Marine Chondroitin, 50mg Calcium.
Friends who had not seem my dog for a few weeks really commented in the difference in her as they thought she was much more active.
I have found a good internet company from whom I buy my supplements and think they are very reasonably priced.
PM me if you want some more details.

Skhosu

Visit site
tbh I wouldn't have any faith in any of them, mine is currently only on metacam and much better..the glucosamine supplement and mussels did nothing to very little for her.

_Acolyte_

Visit site
My lurcher has begun to develop age related degeneration in his back end, and has had Cartrophen injections which have worked brilliantly for him
smile.gif
Cartrophen actively works to improve the arthritic condition rather than simply being an anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl or Metacam, and I could not recommend it highly enough

Might be worth speaking to your vet about this option! In the case of my lurcher he was pretty much the same every day in terms of unsoundness, rather than having 'good' days and 'bad' days which is why the vet and I decided on Cartrophen rather than tablets for possible 'bad' days

Or ask Woolly about it, she was FAB and told me loads about it, much more clearly than I can explain
smile.gif
smile.gif

pocket

Visit site
Thank you for all your tips, will be going to frogpool tomorrow and they have a good selection of doggy bits n bobs.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Don't know if the contents is different in our country, but I've given my dogs Rimadyl, and my cats Metacam, and long use of Rimadyl is bad for the liver, and with the Metacam my vet was very clear that she could only get it for 14 days and then she had to be without it for at least 14 days, because of the risk for liverdamage.

Besides the different pills, don't forget that massage, stretching or Shiatsu, that you easily could learn the basics of to do yourself, also could improve your dogs life. And personally I'm a big fan of Acupuncture.

from Sweden.
smile.gif

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
all I can say about Synoquin is that the border T was lame at 6 months and X rays showed virtually NO hip ball/socket at all. After hydrotherapy and daily synoquin (and after 6 months only Synoquin) shes now 4 years old and not had a lame day since. X rays show that cos shes been able to keep fit with hydro and lots of exercise the muscle is supporting the joints and the synoquin is helping that process as well as mild anti inflamm.

she'll be on it forever, but prefer that to the vets recommendation of taking both her hips off :-O