Arthramid - is 4 wks too soon?

Love

Visit site
Just looking for experiences with Arthramid injections - I have found some old threads with a couple of early responses so hoping to find out how they turned out and any more experiences if possible

Bit of background - my 16yo gelding had both hocks injected 4 weeks ago today after vets found the starts of hock OA. He went lame around April time which was found to be his LF suspensory being the main (no tear just an “area” of concern apparently), caused by the hocks starting (not a surprise to us). His LF fetlock was also injected with arthramid back in july to treat the suspensory and he came sound.

How long until we know if this is going to work for the hocks or not? He was sound on the LF before his hocks were injected 4 weeks ago but ever since he has seemed “clunky” on the right rein and tonight felt a bit more than just clunky. Other nights he seemed to work out of it a bit but I called it a day tonight just in case. Complete different story on the left rein, nice and light and no wonkiness. He is forward on both reins but a definite unlevelness on that right rein.

I have to call the vets back on Monday anyway as they wanted an update 4 weeks post injections but interested to hear any other stories until I can chat to them.

(If it’s not great news, a little cushioning would be appreciated but also want honest answers 😢)

Edited to add: we have followed the vets rehab plan to the letter over the past 4 weeks with gentle hacking and gradually building up in the school

Last edited:

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Took a full 6 weeks for my horse to come sound after arthramid into the coffin joint.
Took about a week for hock stiffness to go away , i had the hocks done august 2022 still completely fine, very happy with the results

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It is meant to take about 6 weeks and you also need to rehab the horse . He will have muscular and compensatory pain due to the arthritis and those won't go away just with Arthmid.
It's been pretty much a miracle drug for my cob but the need for physio and rehab shouldn't be underestimated.

EmmaC78

Visit site
It has been successful for my gelding. After years of one and off lameness I got Athramid injections in both front feed in January 2023 and he has been sound ever since. I can't remember how long it initially took to work but I wouldn;t gie up hope yet.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Alot of the time it can take 6-8 weeks plus.

Our local practice often injections steroids first to see how they get on and if this works then add arthramid about a month later

The idea being the steroids work near enough straight away so good for the horse and gives the time for the arthramid to start working but this than lasts much much longer than steroids

greenbean10

Visit site
I had hocks treated and remember at the 4 week mark thinking there had been no change. Then at 5-6 weeks there was a huge change, actually looked like a different horse.

I definitely didn’t do any specific ‘rehab’, just hacked as my vet had said I could. I think I did some light work in the school but the horse was never particularly lame just very stiff.

So no, i wouldn’t worry too much just yet!

Love

Visit site
Thank you all for your responses, they have definitely given me a bit more hope for now. Still waiting on the call back from my vet to have our 4 week post injection chat.

It is meant to take about 6 weeks and you also need to rehab the horse . He will have muscular and compensatory pain due to the arthritis and those won't go away just with Arthmid.
It's been pretty much a miracle drug for my cob but the need for physio and rehab shouldn't be underestimated.

Thank you, he has been rehabbed from when his fetlock was medicated in July up until this round in his hocks and then again after his hocks were done 4 weeks ago, following vets and physio advice to the letter (plus adjusting depending on results). I certainly havn't just hopped back on and expected a miracle

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Reassuring to read all of the above as my boy is having his coffin joint medicated in a few weeks time and I am going to choose arthramid I think.