Arthramid twice a year

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My 5yo mare had a big chip removed from her hock in February this year. She had the all clear and has been back in full work, jumping, funrides etc.

We went cross country on Sunday, she was fab and pulling me into fences.

My vet visited for a check up yesterday, according to him she isn’t lame but stiff through her hock on a right circle when on the lunge. She had been in for 8 hours but he doesn’t think that’s relevant. I could see the stiffness and assuming it must be the cross country that inflamed it. Although he said she looks fantastic, nice and fit.

We re-xrayed but nothing seen, clear X-rays. She had Arthramid shortly after the op (6 months ago) today my vet recommended another arthramid Injection.

Not feeling very optimistic, used all the insurance money now and 1k a year (for 2x Arthramid) is rather expensive going forward.

Has anyone else had anything similar in a young horse 🙁 a friend has said it could be worse.. but she has such low mileage, she has not even had a year of work.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Mine isn't a great story - just 6 when the arthritis was diagnosed with a spur on one hock. Retired by 10. But she had PSSM as well and I just think both conditions together turned everything into a vicious circle. I also don't think the vets were great when it was diagnosed in terms of treatments. Perhaps earlier and better intervention might have got me a better outcome.

Yours is early intervention and arthramid is probably the best option so hopefully by using all your insurance money now he's giving her the best chance.

Regular physio?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Thanks SEL. Fingers crossed.

Regular physio?

She has regular physio and oesto, physio a couple of weeks ago said she was moving great and felt the best she ever had. Only other thing is I noticed lots of skid marks in the field this morning but a normal joint wouldn’t go stiff from that.

My vet said to carry on riding her, I questioned jumping and he said as long as you’re careful about the surface it won’t make any difference. Just the risk of chips in the joint I guess, and hers was in the worst place.

Bobby1987

Visit site
My 5yo mare had a big chip removed from her hock in February this year. She had the all clear and has been back in full work, jumping, funrides etc.

We went cross country on Sunday, she was fab and pulling me into fences.

My vet visited for a check up yesterday, according to him she isn’t lame but stiff through her hock on a right circle when on the lunge. She had been in for 8 hours but he doesn’t think that’s relevant. I could see the stiffness and assuming it must be the cross country that inflamed it. Although he said she looks fantastic, nice and fit.

We re-xrayed but nothing seen, clear X-rays. She had Arthramid shortly after the op (6 months ago) today my vet recommended another injection of the same which she has now had.

Not feeling very optimistic, used all the insurance money now and 1k a year (for 2x Arthramid) is rather expensive going forward.

Has anyone else had anything similar in a young horse 🙁 a friend has said it could be worse.. but she has such low mileage, she has not even had a year of work.
Sorry this has happened to you, my story isn't particularly relevant, but I sympathise with you - my 5yo ISH had an abscess that burst inwards causing catastrophic damage to the pastern joint, bone & surrounding soft tissue areas.
2 joint flushes & a 8 month recovery later, we tried Arthramid but as soon as he was asked to jump once fit again, he became lame. We opted for pastern arthrodesis (doable on a low-motion joint). We are now 3 months post surgery; the joint is fusing well & there is no sign of any arthritis.

We have taken a massive gamble with our horse, we chose this route because he was simply too talented & beloved to write off at 5yo, it has been a very long, hard, emotional & financially near-crippling, rollercoaster journey which is still in it's fledgling stages of recovery.

I would keep going with Arthramid, it will allow you to follow your dreams & keep your young horse doing what she clearly loves. xx

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Sorry this has happened to you, my story isn't particularly relevant, but I sympathise with you - my 5yo ISH had an abscess that burst inwards causing catastrophic damage to the pastern joint, bone & surrounding soft tissue areas.
2 joint flushes & a 8 month recovery later, we tried Arthramid but as soon as he was asked to jump once fit again, he became lame. We opted for pastern arthrodesis (doable on a low-motion joint). We are now 3 months post surgery; the joint is fusing well & there is no sign of any arthritis.

We have taken a massive gamble with our horse, we chose this route because he was simply too talented & beloved to write off at 5yo, it has been a very long, hard, emotional & financially near-crippling, rollercoaster journey which is still in it's fledgling stages of recovery.

I would keep going with Arthramid, it will allow you to follow your dreams & keep your young horse doing what she clearly loves. xx

Thank you for sharing Bobby, I wish you all the luck in the world with your boy 🤞 It makes it even harder when they’re such lovely types.

Bobby1987

Visit site
Thank you for sharing Bobby, I wish you all the luck in the world with your boy 🤞 It makes it even harder when they’re such lovely types.
Thank you HF, that is so kind. He truly is a warrior & we will fight with everything we have to give him the quality of life he deserves xx

All the very best with your girl, a good few folk I know have had hocks medicated with fantastic results, here's to a good outcome for your beloved mare xx

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Just to update this thread.
Since August my mare has been doing hunter trials, we did a fun team chase, dressage, show jumping 70-80cm.
My vet came out in January for a routine check and said a course of Cartophen might help (which we did, can’t say I’ve noticed any difference) she’s been looking really good movement wise but does get stiff the day after jumping.

We did arena eventing Sunday and got a double clear, but to slow to place as had to trot to regain control. She looks fit and well, physio is happy with her.

Vet visited Monday (day after Arena eventing comp) and she was stiff through that hock, but tracked up evenly.

I explained I really wanted to do some 70/80 ODEs this year and he recommended another arthramid to keep the joint as mobile/happy as possible. At my cost, which I’ve gone ahead with.

I suppose he saw her at her worst, if he saw her today she would have probably not been stiff.

He advised to try and continue with it as a yearly thing, can’t afford £800 a year on arthramid. Makes me sad she’s only just turned 6.. but she loves her work so aim to have some fun but keeping her welfare at heart (only jumping max twice a week, be careful of surfaces etc)

SEL

Visit site
Just to update this thread.
Since August my mare has been doing hunter trials, we did a fun team chase, dressage, show jumping 70-80cm.
My vet came out in January for a routine check and said a course of Cartophen might help (which we did, can’t say I’ve noticed any difference) she’s been looking really good movement wise but does get stiff the day after jumping.

We did arena eventing Sunday and got a double clear, but to slow to place as had to trot to regain control. She looks fit and well, physio is happy with her.

Vet visited Monday (day after Arena eventing comp) and she was stiff through that hock, but tracked up evenly.

I explained I really wanted to do some 70/80 ODEs this year and he recommended another arthramid to keep the joint as mobile/happy as possible. At my cost, which I’ve gone ahead with.

I suppose he saw her at her worst, if he saw her today she would have probably not been stiff.

He advised to try and continue with it as a yearly thing, can’t afford £800 a year on arthramid. Makes me sad she’s only just turned 6.. but she loves her work so aim to have some fun but keeping her welfare at heart (only jumping max twice a week, be careful of surfaces etc)

Just as an FYI

One of the excellent physios I have used recommends for my arthritic pony giving her a sachet of bute after she has exerted herself over and above any normal riding. She said never to ride on it because the pony needs to feel her dodgy legs and know her limitations but on those days where she has decided she is a mini racehorse it is better to head off any inflammation and stiffness with a precautionary post ride bute sachet. I ran that past the vet who agreed and I have to say its made a huge difference.

Given what you describe I think that might help you and it would be a lot cheaper than annual arthramid jabs

HopOnTrot

Visit site
We had it done last week, physio here Friday to assess if it’s worked as sometimes it can require a second dose. Did the vet assess after it was done initially? Are steroids an option as they’re much cheaper? There is also something that can be done using their own blood (plasma? Platelets? I can’t recall)

But my mare is 20 and her changes are in line with her age, we don’t really jump that much so the stakes are much lower for us.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
One of the excellent physios I have used recommends for my arthritic pony giving her a sachet of bute after she has exerted herself over and above any normal riding.

That’s really interesting, thank you for sharing. My vet had said before to use Bute if I think she has exerted herself.. I have quite a few so will start doing that.

Did the vet assess after it was done initially? Are steroids an option as they’re much cheaper? There is also something that can be done using their own blood (plasma? Platelets? I can’t recall)

No, he doesn’t assess after. The arthramid doesn’t make much of a difference to the stiffness if I’m honest, I can see it myself on the lunge, but he said it will help the joint either way. He thinks the stiffness is from the damage carti

Don’t want to steroid due to the damage it does to joints and sadly ran out of insurance money to do anything more expensive.

Birker2020

Visit site
His hocks are pretty bad , he has 1 in each lower joint and 2 in the upper joint on one side. Its way over a grand each time but steroid unfortunately didnt work. He still has to have bute the day after a fun ride too
I don't get why chemical arthrodesis isn't used in this scenario, unless I'm missing something. The substance used (ethanol) is injected, which destroys the cartilage which means that the bone can fuse. Once fusion has taken place there is no pain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_233325_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_233325_Chrome.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240313_233402_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_233402_Chrome.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 17

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I don't get why chemical arthrodesis isn't used in this scenario, unless I'm missing something. The substance used (ethanol) is injected, which destroys the cartilage which means that the bone can fuse. Once fusion has taken place there is no pain.
As far as im aware the upper joint cannot be fused so whilst its an option for the 2 lower joints the higher is still a problem

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Because it often fails to bring the horse sound, and sometimes it can fuse the joint in the wrong place and make what would have been a temporary lameness until nature did a natural fusion, permanent.

I have even read of vets who consider it unethical due to the problems they've seen with it.

First hand I saw a friend waste her money and a lot of emotional and physical effort in a failed rehab program.

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I don't get why chemical arthrodesis isn't used in this scenario, unless I'm missing something.
Because it often fails to bring the horse sound, and sometimes it can fuse the joint in the wrong place and make what would have been a temporary lameness until nature did a natural fusion, permanent.

A friends horse had this done, sadly I’d say it hasn’t worked as he is lame but she believes because it’s fused he isn’t in pain (although he is lame) my vet doesn’t like fusing any joint.

Not something I’d want to try, but thanks for posting. It’s worth getting different thoughts.

I think I’ll start giving her one Bute after jumping or over doing it. She hates Bute so annoyingly have to syringe it.

BMA2

Visit site
If mollases helps hide the taste...

If not you can do all sorts of weird things. I knew a horse that had marmalade sandwiches with it in. Her preference was brown bread

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
If mollases helps hide the taste...

If not you can do all sorts of weird things. I knew a horse that had marmalade sandwiches with it in. Her preference was brown bread

I’ve tried everything bar the brown bread.. but she seems to sniff it a mile off even a new apple flavoured danilon.

ihatework

Visit site
You could be a little more strategic on the arthramid, give it in the spring once a year, make use of the better weather then if needed (might not be) back off the workload over the winter and/or support on a bit of bute. The arthritic types generally do better if kept mobile, but be picky about ground/surface hoof balance and posture!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
You could be a little more strategic on the arthramid, give it in the spring once a year, make use of the better weather then if needed (might not be) back off the workload over the winter and/or support on a bit of bute. The arthritic types generally do better if kept mobile, but be picky about ground/surface hoof balance and posture!

Thank you. Will aim to do that and have another Arthramid next year, I did plan to give her some time off next winter.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If you need to syringe use some peppermint essence the Dr oatker one it's so strong and no sugar added mine love it, I use it for Louis prascend everyday, or a bit of horse cough medicine is good as well mine seem to like that as well.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
If you need to syringe use some peppermint essence the Dr oatker one it's so strong and no sugar added mine love it, I use it for Louis prascend everyday, or a bit of horse cough medicine is good as well mine seem to like that as well.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, how much of it do you use to syringe? Water and a few drops of peppermint essence?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry if this sounds stupid, how much of it do you use to syringe? Water and a few drops of peppermint essence?
Yeah literally a few drops you don't need much, dilute in water first so the bute is dissolved then add the mint and suck it up in the syringe so easy I can give syringes to mine without even putting a head collar on they love it 😆