Arthramid

GrecianDawn

Visit site
My horse was injected 4 weeks ago with 2ml of Arthramid in his left front fetlock. He has osteoarthritis and bone cyst. So far he still has pain and inflammation in his joint. Vet said in 6 weeks we can reinject if he does show improvement, but so far it is very grim. How long does it usually take? Any experiences, please and thanks!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Usually the Arthramid would have taken effect by now. I've not heard of a second injection being given so soon, or even at all. Arthramid works best when used early on, though.

Could there be a post injection infection in the joint? I think that I'd want to get a vet to check that out.

dixie

Visit site
Mine had it done twice but sadly it had no effect.
there has been a few posts on here though with successful outcomes.

GrecianDawn

Visit site
Did it work in the end op?
It definitely worked, but did not restore the movement completely. You cannot see a definite lameness, but he does look different going to the left compared to his right side. We might do it again in 6 months if he does not decline. At least he is about 80% percent better than before and returned to light schooling.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Excellent thankyou.
Glad it helped , i have had arthramid injected into my mares coffin joint on the 20th May, anxiously waiting to see improvements . Patience !

SO1

Visit site
My 20 year old pony is having it on 8 May. I hope it will help him. He has to do 3 days of box rest and then 10 days of walking and go from there.

My friends horse has had it every year since he was 12 and is now 18.

GrecianDawn

Visit site
My 20 year old pony is having it on 8 May. I hope it will help him. He has to do 3 days of box rest and then 10 days of walking and go from there.

My friends horse has had it every year since he was 12 and is now 18.
Mine also did 3 days in the stable, but 2 weeks in a field I think if I remember right. Which joint are you treating?

SO1

Visit site
Hocks and coffin joints.

Vet recommends lots of walking but he is a bit colic prone so ideally needs to be kept moving. He is still on small paddock turnout being strip grazed on his own as almost finished rehab for soft tissue injury. He had nearly 9 months of active box rest which although seems to have done the trick for his soft tissue injury has probably not helped with his arthritis by not having turnout.

Mine also did 3 days in the stable, but 2 weeks in a field I think if I remember right. Which joint are you treating?

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Mine had 48hr box rest then back to 24hr turnout. still waiting for results but the normal is 4-6 weeks i believe.
Ive started walking ridden and in hand rehab

Ceriann

Visit site
Am currently looking at hock joint medication options - mare has had cartrophen and has had some but not enough positive impact. Hocks imaged and mild changes consistent with work up. The next step is to either block hocks to diagnose or just Medicate to diagnose, in which case we are looking at steroids. I’m aware of lami risk. Vet advised against gel (arthramed) as you can’t steroid after you use it? Vet also mentioned a new option - expensive but getting great results. Vet out Friday so can ask then but I like to do my homework and can’t find this new option. Anyone know what this is please?

Visit site
Am currently looking at hock joint medication options - mare has had cartrophen and has had some but not enough positive impact. Hocks imaged and mild changes consistent with work up. The next step is to either block hocks to diagnose or just Medicate to diagnose, in which case we are looking at steroids. I’m aware of lami risk. Vet advised against gel (arthramed) as you can’t steroid after you use it? Vet also mentioned a new option - expensive but getting great results. Vet out Friday so can ask then but I like to do my homework and can’t find this new option. Anyone know what this is please?

I think it could be one of two things.... I suspect it is either A2M (alpha 2 macroglobulin) or Regenesis Vet.

The A2M is supposed to be like a very strong anti-inflammatory protein found in the blood that i think is made in a similar way to IRAP. Its quite new but there has been promising results. I have not used it personally but i know a few people who have.

The Regenesis Vet system is also a regenerative medicine product but it is the only systemic (goes into the vein) regenerative medicine product around that I know of. It is like a natural anti-inflammatory growth factor cocktail that they also make entirely from the horses blood. I and a few friends have used this on horses with quite a lot of good results before. My one mare had a suspected coffin/DDFT injury in foot so my vet choose to give it as DDFT injuries in foot cant be treated with a needle like some of the other joints can. We also did IRAP and a few other things so I am not sure how much each contributed to making my horse sound but i do believe it made a big difference. This was about 2 years ago so A2M wasnt around then so the Regenesis was the only option left after IRAP that didnt have the laminitis risk. I still give it occasionally when i feel my horse needs it and it seems to make a difference.

Please keep us updated about what your vet says!