Arthritis advise please!

Sheena01

Visit site
My lovely ex racehorse has recently been diagnosed with arthritis in his lower neck :(
Unfortunatly insurance have refused my claim for cortisone injections so until I have saved for him to have it done I was wondering if anyone had something truly work for them might help him?
I've read up on apple cider vinegar, cortaflex and buteless??

The plan for him was to do a bit of low level eventing, local dressage and a bit of showjumping!

When he was diagnosed there were 3 options:

Cortisone injections which would make him better overnight, daily bute for a year or so and the 3rd I dont want to think about...yet!!

He is in a little pain but eating, grazing etc as normal, he's just a little stiff when ridden.

Advise from vet was to continue riding him as normal to build muscle on his neck which will help the arthritis! I have been hacking him a few times a week..no schooling!!

He is a 17.3hh thoroughbred that has been out of racing a year so needs to build muscle and weight.

No nasty comments please and i'm deeply upset with insurances decision and would like to give my boy a chance!!

Any advise would be greatfully received!!

Shady

Visit site
Iv'e had amazing results from Devils Claw, i started one of mine on it on my vets advice, to add to his Turmeric daily dose, the improvement was obvious in a matter of days and iv'e tested it's efficiency twice now by taking him off it to see what happens, within days he has stiffened up again in his hock and lost his suppleness through the hips. I buy it in root form from Hilton Herbs and give about 15/20 grams a day in a small mix.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think you need to be giving pain relief until you give him the injection .
Danilon would be my choice .
I would take a look at the art2ride website and their clips on you tube to see some interesting stuff to think about on building a horses top line slowly and gently .

ihatework

Visit site
I would be giving bute/danilon and pentosan.
If you are going to work the horse then it is only fair he is supported medically

HeresHoping

Visit site
I am not into voodoo, as I like there to be some scientific evidence.

However, as I seem to have gone a bit 'hippy' with the pony (never as a compromise to the vet, you understand) and taken her shoes off, I decided to try out the trimmer's suggestion and add a spot of Boron to the girl's diet (she's already on a low dose of Devil's Claw - with vet's understanding). She's 16, had a hard life as a broodmare, is metabolically compromised as a result, and a bit clicky and stiff through the old joints. Vet had already suggested keep up the work, get her fit, keep the weight off, but be led by her so we had been making sure she did something 6 days per week, even if just a good walk if a little too stiff for riding. 6 weeks on, my Goodness. I was fully expecting to have to save up for hock/stifle jabs but whether it's the Boron or just the exercise, good grass, feet finally sorting themselves out, or what, they're not needed yet.

Information about feeding it here: https://www.gravelproofhoof.org/boron Obviously, discuss with the vet first.

I also do horsey yoga with her when we're in the school (2 x per week) after a good 10 minutes of general loosening up. It has made a world of difference to her way of going.

Last edited:

Merlod

Visit site
Would your vets allow a payment plan? On a couple of occassins mine have let me spread the cost of big bills over 2 or 3 months - though I have been with them many years! Alternatively what about a planned overdraft?

Sheena01

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies, havent managed to speak to the vet who examined him as he's busy!
As far as a payment plan I am hoping they do this, it is an equine specific hospital rather than vet so fingers crossed!
The cost is massive so dont really want an overdraft!

When i speak to the vet obviously i'll ask if there is another option for him regarding a painkiller/something on the market that may work but It's likely he will have to be on bute I think until he is done which I wasnt keen on.

Thank you everyone!

Annagain

Visit site
Could you get a credit card with a 0% on purchases deal? As long as your credit rating is ok, it should be pretty easy? I pay into an account for vet bills rather than having insurance. Although I had the money for a large bill last November, I figured it made more financial sense to leave it where it was, gaining a little interest (not much these days but enough to make a difference) and putting the cost onto a 0% credit card. I got a 30 month deal so am paying £80 a month on it and I don't even notice it going out of my account. you have to be disciplined though. I cut up the card as soon as I paid this big bill and have never bought anything else with it.

Cocorules

Visit site
I have an arthritic pony who has been on bute for 7 years for pain relief. I have to keep her warm and moving so she lives out 24/7.

My mum also has had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years and has had all kinds of treatment during that time. I mention this purely as she is able to articulate that it is extremely painful.

My understanding is that arthritis is not curable so although cortisone injections will give fast and very good relief it will need to be repeated. Arthritis is painful so needs pain relief. It is worth a chat with your vet about whether long term pain relief is likely to be needed. From my limited experience this is likely and it is worth knowing so you can work out with the vet the best way to handle it long term.

Sheena01

Visit site
That is such a good idea annagain regarding paying into an account instead of insurance! May have to do that in future as after speaking to the vet and friends it seems its getting more and more difficult to actually get a successful claim!

Luckily my husband loves the horse as much as me even though we've only had him a few months and has promised he will be done whatever :) Just wanted to hear others opinions of the issue and wether things on the market work as well as they say they do!

Sheena01

Visit site
Theu have refused on the grounds that he had the condition before I took out insurance and didnt tell them!
Obviously I didnt know about the arthritis when I bought the horse and noticed quite quickly that something wasnt right when he started his retraining!
Its just really bad luck that between the time I bought him, insured him, took him to vet and put in a claim was a very short space of time!
They have now put an exclusion on any claim for arthritis which will be reviewed later on!

Yes, he's turned out and rugged every day and in at night!

amandaco2

Visit site
oh was it within 14 days of taking out the policy? its a shame as a horse can have a hidden problem and it only becomes apparent at a later date...if they are arguing that the horse has had arthritis for some time, based on the xrays/ extent, I cant see how they can refuse the claim if this is the first time its ever caused a problem and needed investigating..?unless its within the specified 14 day period when vet fees aren't included.
otherwise they could refused claims for ems related laminitis etc on the 'basis'
that the horse is likely to have had ems for quite some time before it caused an issue......

I hope you get sorted, you are obviously a caring owner and he sounds a lucky horse to have u

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Cortisone injections are usually pretty cheap so I am surprised when you say the cost is massive? Usually the investigations for this sort of thing add up to much more than the treatment.

That said I would be getting him injected and paying for it somehow, I'm a big fan of 0% credit cards :p .

For other stuff my old chap does really well on boswellia-nowhere near as good as injections which he has also help but it is a proven anti inflammatory agent. I would also say that management will certainly help, I know one that was really struggling as a relative youngster but a change in management to 24/7 turnout and lots of hacking on a longish rein did him the world of good. So the more you can get yours out the better. Also eating off the floor, no haynets etc.

Sheena01

Visit site
Thank you amandaco2! Whatever happens he'll have a forever home :)

Ester, vet has estimated a £2500+ cost?!? Unfortunately dont have that amount of money going spare which is why he is insured!

ester

Visit site
That seems like a crazy amount for cortisone! Even if they are doing several joints is there anything else added on to that? They are the sort of thing people have done every 6 months or so often (and well you just wouldn't at that cost!)

Mine has had two coffin joint Steroid/HA injections and one hock, about £150 (in that region anyway- not thousands!) (the actual steroid bit of the injection being the relatively cheap bit, iirc the HA makes it a bit pricier, but the vets time is the most cost). Hence me being surprised at you saying it was massive.

Sheena01

Visit site
Definitely £2.5k
They are obviously taking the mick, was in such shock with the price I just agreed to everything! Will definitely be phoning them to have a breakdown!!

Anyone know if they are put under for the neck injections, hospital vet said they did so i'm guessing that is a big cost??

JillA

Visit site
I had a big horse who had done too much too young and as a result had what we assumed was degenerative joint disease, was 1/10 lame in front. He responded really well to turmeric, came and stayed sound, maybe that could be worth a try?

Sheena01

Visit site
Definitely worth a try!

My boy has never been lame which no one can understand, just a bit stiff and physio picked up that he was in too much pain to be treated!

ester

Visit site
Definitely £2.5k
They are obviously taking the mick, was in such shock with the price I just agreed to everything! Will definitely be phoning them to have a breakdown!!

Anyone know if they are put under for the neck injections, hospital vet said they did so i'm guessing that is a big cost??

Ah yes, I guess they may have to, and may do them with guidance too so that would definitely increase the cost, definitely ask for a quote though- and then have a ring round.

ihatework

Visit site
Definitely £2.5k

I think you need complete clarity on what you are being quoted for.
I've never had a neck injected but have had a back done. That was done under standing sedation, local anaesthetic and 2 vertebrae injected. It cost in the region of £400. I don't see why a neck would be done under GA but stand to be corrected. Also factor in, steroid injections are not a 'cure' you may well need them done annually or even more frequent.

ester

Visit site
I guess lower neck a bit more difficult to access, more muscle in the way. I would have to say if that is the only way to do them it is going to be gutting if they either don't work well, or only last a few months - which is entirely possible with them.

Annagain

Visit site
Agree that's astronomical. Are you sure that's not the total bill - so everything that's been done so far plus the cost of injections? Diagnosing my boy's problem cost £1500. Treating it with ultrasound guided cortisone and hyaluronic acid injections into his elbow cost £600. This is far more complicated than most cortisone injections for which he also had to be sedated hence the extra expense. I wouldn't expect "normal" injections to be more than about £300. Even if it has to be ultrasound guided due to it being the neck, I wouldn't expect it to be any more than I paid.

Sheena01

Visit site
Not total bill as the assessment and x rays have already been paid for!

Really appreciate all your answers, have lots of questions to ask this vet!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I freely admit that I know nothing about neck arthritis, but is it worth asking for a course of 4 weekly IM Cartrophen injections first? It can be very effective in some cases of arthritis, and the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work.

Approx £67 per 10ml vial from on line vet suppliers plus the cost of the prescription, average horse needs 1 vial per dose. No vets fees if you inject it yourself.

Sheena01

Visit site
Thats interesting!
I'm happy to inject myself but i'd need a prescription from the vet wouldnt I, are they happy to do that!

Must admit i'm a bit of a baby when it comes to my animals and of a vet says they need so and so i generally agree!

ester

Visit site
Get them to discuss options other than steroids if they are going to cost that much and potentially not last/work, in addition to the cartrophen I would want to know if osphos/tildren was a possibility too.

Some of the bigger set ups do seem to be bad for making a diagnosis, deciding on a treatment plan and NOT discussing it, what it means, what will happen in the future, or other possibilites with owners. Whether that is because they are rubbish at communicating or they presume owners just want to be sent off with a solution and no know any more I am not sure but get quizzing and ask why/why not.