Arthritis and Tumeric

canteron

Visit site
I have noticed a few threads recently about Arthritis with people positively recommending Tumeric.

How much do you feed, i am getting different advice from different sources - all knowledgeable. Some use it as a homeopathic medicine and use only a little - but for those who believe it really helps are you a teaspoon, a tablespoon or even more.

And what about those ready mixed turmeric products - do you use those or mix yourself.

I have a 20yr grey mare - who is slightly stiff but I also guess has a predisposition to melanomas so even if its a long shot, it seems worth a go?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I joined the turmeric user group on Facebook.
General consensus seems that you can't feed too much, start low as the taste is quite strong, then build up til you see a desired effect.
I used it for ages, correctly with oils and fresh pepper however not sure it really helped my horse in all honesty. I no longer bother.
However I tried taking capsules myself and do think I've noticed a bit of a difference. So I'd say well worth a try!

pippixox

Visit site
i was a bit of a skeptic. but felt there was no harm in trying! my friend is a horse physio and recommends it.
apparently it is important to get turmeric with a high percentage curcurmin 4%+ as that is the active ingredient.
Also adding crushed back pepper and linseed to aid absorption
I do about a head tablespoon. he loves the taste!
appears to help my arthritic ex-racer, as i ran out and completely forgot for a few weeks. and then realized he was stiffer/

as with any supplement, works for some, not others

I got a huge sack of 4.5% curcumin from ebay and then added pepper

Shady

Visit site
I get mine from The Golden Paste company and it's 5% minimum curcumin. There are 2 schools of thought regarding the best way to feed it, one is that you get better absorption into the body if you cook it and there is a method for this included on their pack. The other is that you just use it uncooked which is what i do. 1 good tablespoon, 10 grinds of black pepper and either Olive, Linseed or Coconut oil to mix( not veg or it will just go straight through the gut and not bind), make a paste and add to whatever carrier you want. I mix mine with apple, carrot, Boswelia powder and a bit of chaff( i don't really hard feed). It definitely works for my horse so i would recommend giving it a go

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There is a product called tumergold and it's already mixed with the right amount of pepper and linseed it also has msm added, I fed it for a while but it upset one of my horses gut so I stopped feeding it I don't think it did anything else apart from that, if you think about it its used to flavour curries so it's quite strong so be careful if your horse has a sensitive gut.

Regandal

Visit site
Gave up on it as could see no visible improvement. Read an article lately, can't remember the author, who states there is no hard evidence of it's efficacy, also there is doubt that it is even absorbed at all.

windand rain

Visit site
My old mare was intermittently lame mostly when the weather changed I feed her a tablespoon of turmeric a mug of micronised linseed and pepper daily she hasnt been lame since. I went on holiday and the horse sitter forgot to give it to her when I came home she was lame two days back on the turmeric and was sound and competing again at dressage.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My horse was showing signs of struggling, very stiff. I started him on turmeric and he was much better within a week. I know that for some it doesn't work , depends on the arthritis type and location. It didn't work for my friend's horse. I feed the global herb one, it gives you a scoop for dosage. I add black pepper and oil. It's worth a go I say, if improvements don't show within a couple of weeks then I think it won't work. It did so much for my horse I started taking it myself and I have found it helps my ankles and knees, so I Know it does work.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It was only my short list of possibles but I would be really surprised if F would eat it and the pepper.
As he happily eats boswellia he gets that instead ;) people I hadn't told I was feeding it noticed a difference and I do think it helps a bit (he is 24 now).

Regandal

Visit site
It was only my short list of possibles but I would be really surprised if F would eat it and the pepper.
As he happily eats boswellia he gets that instead ;) people I hadn't told I was feeding it noticed a difference and I do think it helps a bit (he is 24 now).

I use boswellia on myself and my horse. Lots of evidence that it works, and may slow the progression of arthritis. Admittedly, the research is on humans, but hey-ho, we're both mammals.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I began using it about a year ago. I use Global herbs which has added black pepper (although I'm aware it's supposed to be fresh). I put powder in feed and a glug of flax oil on top. I started making the paste but it's rather messy and my friend does him mon-fri so it's easier this way. My 22yr old looks well and feels pretty good mostly. I also give him Buteless.

Not really sure if it does anything but it makes me feel better! :D

windand rain

Visit site
I will add that there was a programme on it on "trust me I am a doctor" and it was proven to prevent some cancers growing and generally to work as described on a very arbitary small sample test so I suppose like anything if it works for you then it works for you. It certainly works with my mare and I can assure you without it she is lame in days and once restored to it is sound in days she has no other supplements and no drugs

tda

Visit site
I used it with good results on our old retired gelding, moving around the field faster than before.

Currently use it with my old mare, still in work, no major difference, but she still has it.

I have just started taking it myself again, I have M&S, and although still mobile I have a lot of stiffness in my legs, and aching joints which may just be my age ��
Definitely feeling better.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have noticed a few threads recently about Arthritis with people positively recommending Tumeric.

How much do you feed, i am getting different advice from different sources - all knowledgeable. Some use it as a homeopathic medicine and use only a little - but for those who believe it really helps are you a teaspoon, a tablespoon or even more.

And what about those ready mixed turmeric products - do you use those or mix yourself.

I have a 20yr grey mare - who is slightly stiff but I also guess has a predisposition to melanomas so even if its a long shot, it seems worth a go?

I bought some but couldn't be bothered with it and I find flexi joint does what I need for arthriitis horses.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You buy a liquid turmeric supplement where it's combined with good oils got horse now I think it's called liquid gold .

Pc2003

Visit site
My horse has spavins and on various supplements so thought I would give it a go but seemed to give him a bad stomach and he started to look really uncomfortable so I haven't used it since

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id just buy the decent grade turmeric in big bags and mix it up into golden paste (I used coconut oil and the usual black pepper), I put it in a big container which is what I fed the horses and a jar in the fridge for me - golden paste mixed with milk knocks me out at night, sleep like a log! If you buy the turmeric (and not the ready mixed stuff) then you can miss it up with sudocrem for other stuff - it healed up my horses sarcoid beautifully to the point it seemed to disappear and is yet to make an reappearance.

I hadnt noticed it working for stiffness but then I was feeding it to the horse mentioned above to help with the sarcoid - it did go away very well, hard to know if that was from putting the cream on or feeding it! Worth a go though.

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
Oh dear... not some good reviews on here and we've just spent quite a bit getting some for my Dad's horse.... ah well some have said it could help haha.

maree t

Visit site
I have been using it on myself and my dogs and horses for nearly 4 years . You do have to feed it right for it to do the best job . One of my little games ponies has nearly a cup full a day , others only have a sprinkle . If it upsets the stomach then it may be too much to start and reduce right down , it will settle down . There is quite often a yahoo effect when it does get to the optimal levels , thats when you can start reducing until you find the right level .
The best thing to do is look through the turmeric user groups on facebook , they have huge amount of research and information in their files .

I think the main ingredient in buteless is turmeric ! . Thats what made me look into it as it helped our pony . Heck of a lot cheaper to bu the Turmeric and pepper and do it yourself

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I have been using it on myself and my dogs and horses for nearly 4 years . You do have to feed it right for it to do the best job . One of my little games ponies has nearly a cup full a day , others only have a sprinkle . If it upsets the stomach then it may be too much to start and reduce right down , it will settle down . There is quite often a yahoo effect when it does get to the optimal levels , thats when you can start reducing until you find the right level .
The best thing to do is look through the turmeric user groups on facebook , they have huge amount of research and information in their files .

I think the main ingredient in buteless is turmeric ! . Thats what made me look into it as it helped our pony . Heck of a lot cheaper to bu the Turmeric and pepper and do it yourself

Equine America is Bromelain (enzyme found in pineapple), Yucca schidigera and dextrose. No turmeric.